Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2022, 08:35 PM

58 posts, read 33,756 times

Advertisements

A lot of people in New York sleep in rooms with only lot-line windows, which cannot legally be counted as bedrooms. That is because a lot of buildings were built that way due to the lots being long and narrow from the way the city was planned. It happens so often that it makes the news when someone's sleeping room becomes totally devoid of windows whenever all their lot-line windows are covered up by construction next door. So, I've always wondered how many New Yorkers actually sleep in windowless rooms or rooms with only lot-line windows before they're sealed up, which count separately in this case.

What is the percentage of people, even roughly speaking, in New York that sleep in windowless rooms? How about that for those who sleep in rooms that still have at least a single lot-window that is not covered up yet? Also, how do they feel after their sleeping room becomes totally windowless? Do they still like their sleeping room because it's theirs, do they like it even more because it is even more isolated from the outside environment and helps with sleeping, do they like it less now, do they now not enjoy it so much as to even hate it, etc.?

Last edited by friendlytortoise; 03-09-2022 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2022, 08:48 PM

12,797 posts, read 8,416,670 times
It's probably people that live in illegal apartments or whatever. Never gave it much thought, as I have never lived in such an environment. I do use shades that block out the light in my bedroom, which makes it feel like there is no window, but a tiny bit of light comes in.

Old 03-09-2022, 09:00 PM

32,194 posts, read 27,436,637 times
Wasn't there another poster to this forum who started tons of hypothetical query threads normally beginning with "how" or "what"?

Old 03-09-2022, 09:14 PM

8,953 posts, read 4,836,617 times
Yep. It kind of sounds familiar but I'll bite.
I would like it because currently I get a lot of street and traffic noise & without a window they'll be blissful silence but...!
I would also kind of feel like I'm sleeping inside a closet so... I don't know...

Old 03-09-2022, 09:44 PM

58 posts, read 33,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
It's probably people that live in illegal apartments or whatever. Never gave it much thought, as I have never lived in such an environment. I do use shades that block out the light in my bedroom, which makes it feel like there is no window, but a tiny bit of light comes in.
Actually, a lot of the them in the news are not from illegal apartments, but from top-end condos and co-ops, because high-profile people are the ones who the journalists and mainstream media think are worth mentioning on the news. One case was from the prestigious long and narrow Silk Building with the luxury ornate stone facade, who had most, if not all, of the lot-line windows blocked on one side. As a result, a lot of 2-bedroom units, even some 3-bedroom units, became studios with 2 or 3 dens/guest rooms/hone offices because they could no longer be marketed as 2 or 3 bedrooms, even though those were never legally bedrooms.

Old 03-10-2022, 02:53 PM

9,205 posts, read 6,408,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlytortoise View Post
A lot of people in New York sleep in rooms with only lot-line windows, which cannot legally be counted as bedrooms. That is because a lot of buildings were built that way due to the lots being long and narrow from the way the city was planned. It happens so often that it makes the news when someone's sleeping room becomes totally devoid of windows whenever all their lot-line windows are covered up by construction next door. So, I've always wondered how many New Yorkers actually sleep in windowless rooms or rooms with only lot-line windows before they're sealed up, which count separately in this case.

What is the percentage of people, even roughly speaking, in New York that sleep in windowless rooms? How about that for those who sleep in rooms that still have at least a single lot-window that is not covered up yet? Also, how do they feel after their sleeping room becomes totally windowless? Do they still like their sleeping room because it's theirs, do they like it even more because it is even more isolated from the outside environment and helps with sleeping, do they like it less now, do they now not enjoy it so much as to even hate it, etc.?

Isn't this the same question that you posed (without any real comment by you) in another thread?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...-had-only.html

Old 03-10-2022, 03:10 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,615,186 times
In the last NYC flood,didnt they find folks sleeping in the basement with no window?as the water kept rising,they drowned.
ALSO some studio apt have a walk in closet which is large enough for a full size bed and can serve as a bedroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City