Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 06:22 PM

61 posts, read 38,598 times

Advertisements

Incoming physician that unexpectedly matched at Montefiore. Can anyone tell me about the area around the hospital, specifically the commercial area on Gun Hill Road/Jerome avenue/Wayne street). How safe is it? Seems like there are quite a few commercial businesses there, but hard to gauge the quality of restaurants, nightlife etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2022, 07:46 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,258,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway14393730 View Post
Incoming physician that unexpectedly matched at Montefiore. Can anyone tell me about the area around the hospital, specifically the commercial area on Gun Hill Road/Jerome avenue/Wayne street). How safe is it? Seems like there are quite a few commercial businesses there, but hard to gauge the quality of restaurants, nightlife etc.
lol My dude. Do your time and look forward to your life after residency.

Old 03-31-2022, 08:27 PM

61 posts, read 38,598 times
Does this mean it's terrible?

Old 03-31-2022, 08:31 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,258,719 times
Quote:
Does this mean it's terrible?
Everything's relative. Not sure what you're looking for exactly.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:06 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,880,868 times
Quote:
trash

Old 03-31-2022, 09:43 PM

44 posts, read 21,154 times
Quote:
I lived nearby for 4 years. My Mother had a triplex on Bailey Ave. Mother was a big time lawyer and a VP of Prentice Hall. She was also considered by many as the most expert person on the Income Tax Code. When she left for work in the AM we had no idea where she was...Her base was Prentice Hall right across the GW Bridge but she was as likely to be in DC helping the representatives with taxes. My two younger sisters went to Bronx High School of Science. Mother was President of the PTA there one year and active in the PTA in others.

I married my High School Sweetheart Before my last two years and the two of us moved into the bottom floor studio in my mom's house. We liked it - even had a domesticated racoon who we got from the back yard.

My wife was an RN from Bellevue and NYU. She was in the last class where the student RNs actually ran the place. At night there would be one real RN for two floors each with a few dozen rooms. When she moved in with me she acquired a job at Montefiore. She loved it there. Enough of the Bellevue RNs to feel like home. After Montefiore she never took a hospital job though she kept working as a RN. My sister became another Bellevue RN a few years later. She liked the new system better.

I suggest you might want to consider ending up even west of where we were. Fieldstone or the other high end communities west of Broadway and East of the river. I have an aunt up there and her daughter sometimes sells RE. Be good for you if you want someone who understands the upper Bronze. And if she is not doing it she will be willing to give you a good agent to try.

And I also think you can find good patches up near Montefiore. However I suspect if you ask the other MDs you will find few living near the Hospital.

In my days the area was in the middle of a conversion from Irish to Hispanic.All us college guys liked the Irish Pubs. But I expect they may be all gone. But I suspect you can still eat well on Broadway all the way to Manhattan.

I would also note I worked a couple of nights a week as the night manager at a unit in Columbia Presbyterian. The font o f wisdom bout the neighborhood eating and drinking plces were the nurses and their assistants..

Have fun it is a nice place to spend a couple of years.

Old 03-31-2022, 09:47 PM

31,898 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matureguy View Post
I lived nearby for 4 years. My Mother had a triplex on Bailey Ave. Mother was a big time lawyer and a VP of
Prentice Hall. She was also considered by many as the most expert person on the Income Tax Code. When she left for work in the AM we had no idea where she was...Her base was Prentice Hall right across the GW Bridge but she was s likely to be in DC helping the representatives with taxes. My two younger sisters went to Bronx High School of Science. Mother was President of the PTA there one year and active in the PTA in others.

I married my High School Sweetheart Before my last two years and the two of us moved into the bottom floor studio in my mom's house. We liked it - even had a domesticated racoon who we got from the back yard.

My wife was an RN from Bellevue and NYU. She was in the last class where the student RNs actually ran the place. At night there would be one real RN for two floors each with a few dozen rooms. When she moved in with me she acquired a job at Montefiore. She loved it there. Enough of the Bellevue RNs to feel like home. After Montefiore she never took a hospital job though she kept working as a RN. My sister became another Bellevue RN a few years later. She liked the new system better.

I suggest you might want to consider ending up even west of where we were. Fieldstone or the other high end communities west of Broadway and East of the river. I have an aunt up there and her daughter sometimes sells RE. Be good for you if you want someone who understands the upper Bronze. And if she is not doing it she will be willing to give you a good agent to try.

And I also think you can find good patches up near Montefiore. However I suspect if you ask the other MDs you will find few living near the Hospital.

In my days the area was in the middle of a conversion from Irish to Hispanic.All us college guys liked the Irish Pubs. But I expect they may be all gone. But I suspect you can still eat well on Broadway all the way to Manhattan.

I would also note I worked a couple of nights a week as the night manager at a unit in Columbia Presbyterian. The font o f wisdom bout the neighborhood eating and drinking plces were the nurses and their assistants..

Have fun it is a nice place to spend a couple of years.
That was all really nice, but don't think it answered OP's question...

Old 04-01-2022, 08:06 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Quote:
It's ok but not great. Lots of much worse areas in The Bronx and other parts of NYC as far as crime is concerned.Most of the buildings in that immediate area are owned by Montefiore and are either residences for staff or medical offices.

The stretch of Gun Hill Rd there is sort of grim and uninteresting but there is very little crime there during the day and no reason to be there at night. The real commercial strip through there is to the South on Bainbridge Ave and 204 St. Have never felt unsafe around there and it has a lot of different kinds of shops and hum drum places to get a drink or something to eat. You will probably find more interesting nightlife along Katonah Ave in Woodlawn or South of Fordham in Little Italy.
As far as I know many of the residents live in one particular building on Wayne Ave, have cars and park them in the garage there , making it pretty easy to travel to nicer nearby areas.
You are probably the millionth medical professional to face the dilemma of Montefiore and living in Norwood for a few years. There are other threads on this forum from years past with the exact same question.

It's not great but its ok and you will survive. It's an excellent hospital and a great environment to get medical experience in so I guess a lot of people have no problem with the location. You are going to be so busy working it probably won't matter anyway. All the residents do is work and sleep.

At least you are not going to be at Bronx Lebanon or Lincoln Hospital.

At one time I seriously considered buying a co op in a building at 3400 Wayne Ave so I did do a lot of "research", including spending a lot of time in the area. Also ,I still go to Dr's at Montefiore on Bainbridge Ave so I am there in the neighborhood fairly often.

Last edited by bluedog2; 04-01-2022 at 08:42 AM..

Old 04-01-2022, 08:17 AM

8,365 posts, read 4,377,807 times
Quote:

Montefiore has resident housing nearby, for which you are presumably applying. I have not heard of anyone being murdered walking between the hospital and the resident housing, so the safety must be adequate. As other posters mentioned, you will be so busy with the residency that you won't have time or energy for anything else, so nightlife is irrelevant. Your quality restaurant for a few years will be the hospital cafeteria.

Unless you are atypically an "older" resident with a family, forget about living in Norwood or "nicer" areas. You will need to be near the hospital, and you won't be able to live in nicer areas on a resident salary. Residency is the time of total focus on the training, not looking for quality restaurants and nightlife.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:21 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,285,065 times
I concur with bluedog. His comments are spot on. Montefiore achors the area and that helps keep it stabile and relatively safe. Not going to see crazy crime issues right near the hospital, but I would go to work there but not live there unless you get housing very close to the hospital. Montefiore has several properties right near the hospital for staff and such. If that's not an option, I would see about getting some in Woodlawn, which is close and safe, or perhaps even Riverdale if you drive. I believe they have housing options in Riverdale as well. Woodlawn and Riverdale are both very safe and offer a much higher quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City