Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 06:26 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,831,160 times

Advertisements

My opinion

I remember a time in N.Y.C. so out of control.
Roaming gangs of black and latino beating up on random people.
Roaming gangs of whites years later. No one race is exempt.
Wilding as it was coined on the front pages of many a newspaper.

I remember the story of this same group arrested for the rape of Trisha Meili.

Matias Reyes unrelated to the group years later stepping forward admitting guilt.

5 receive 1 million for each year of imprisonment , Wise serving the longest 14 years, roughly 5 years
for the other 4 while the victim Trisha a $500,000 book deal. Hollywood making a movie. Where is
this money going?

A park entrance renamed " The Gate of the Exonerated " while Trisha regretting the 5 settled out of court.
Trisha remains still adamant there was more than one attacker.
Some involved in the case personally appalled by the verdict.
Although no memory of the incident due to a fractured skull
There is still unidentified DNA.
Many New Yorkers I have spoken appalled by the verdict. Some support it.
I noticed differences of opinion based on ethnicity as I asked the question.
Kind of like the O.J. Story. Many people of color happy he was vindicated.
Many whites upset with the verdict. The murderer of Nicole Simpson still remains at large.

On paper justice is served to the 5 but according to the victim and many others this story remains incomplete.
If Trisha believes there was more than one attacker , who was he? or them ?
Who is the hold out?

One can follow the money.....this will take years..................eventually all roads lead back to Rome.

No one for sure knows what happened that day except for Salaam,Santana,Wise,McCray and Richardson.
The papers printed they attacked several people in a " Wilding " gang spree that day as well.
No one knows for sure what happened that day except for Reyes' DNA and admission of guilt.
No one knows for sure what happened that day sadly for Meili's lack of memory due to a crushed skull.
Some one for sure was hoping she never lived to point the finger at her attacker. She beat the odds.

One day we may find out. For now life goes on, while New York taxpayers are left picking up the tab.

Historical Revisionism can be good when all the truth is spelled out.
In this case not all are on board with the outcome.

Historical Revisionism is inflicting harm on history itself because it lacks Trisha's approval and the many that support her.

True justice serves everybody.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 12-13-2022 at 06:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2022, 06:42 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
To anyone who likes the park it will always be Central Park.
To tourists visiting it will also always be Central Park.
Not sure what the point of this, but I suppose it makes a few people feel good.

Old 12-13-2022, 08:22 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
I believe they were guilty, along with 99% of those whose convictions are overturned years later as “wrongfully convicted”. Wrongfully convicted doesn’t mean innocent.

Even if some of them had limited involvement with the jogger, they were causing mayhem in the park. To honor them in Central Park is like honoring the men Bernie Goetz shot with a plaque in the subway.

Old 12-13-2022, 10:38 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
I'm sorry they were wrongfully convicted but they weren't guardian angels helping people in the park. They were still committing petty crimes. They absolutely should not have an entrance of the park named after them.

Old 12-13-2022, 11:43 AM

621 posts, read 240,276 times
A welcome gesture for men who were railroaded and sent to jail for a chunk of their lives. I never met an angel before, young or old, that never committed any petty crimes or mischief.

Old 12-13-2022, 11:53 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I'm sorry they were wrongfully convicted but they weren't guardian angels helping people in the park. They were still committing petty crimes. They absolutely should not have an entrance of the park named after them.
exactly. I don't believe that they were 100% innocent at all.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:01 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
exactly. I don't believe that they were 100% innocent at all.
Doesn't mean they deserved to be wrongfully committed for years..

As for the topic its just a name...its not like they are getting stocks or shares of the park. It's literally a sign.

Very performative if you ask me

Last edited by Gilmoregal; 12-13-2022 at 12:23 PM..

Old 12-13-2022, 12:35 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
A welcome gesture for men who were railroaded and sent to jail for a chunk of their lives. I never met an angel before, young or old, that never committed any petty crimes or mischief.
Wow, "petty crimes", go have a talk with John Loughlin.

They were never "exonerated", multiple appeals and multiple commissions looked at the case and agreed that they were treated fairly by the PD and received a fair trial with a diverse jury. The consistency of their confessions, with the support of their parents, all laid out the identical chronology on that night.
Only after Bill Deblasio became mayor did the city settle to the tune of $41m, money but no exoneration.

Last edited by kmrlongisland; 12-13-2022 at 12:46 PM..

Old 12-13-2022, 12:41 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Doesn't mean they deserved to be wrongfully committed for years..

As for the topic its just a name...its not like they are getting stocks or shares of the park. It's literally a sign.

Very performative if you ask me
No of course not. It was terrible what happened to them. When someone has a history of committing crime, they become the subjects of this type of treatment. There are plenty of innocent people on death row because they have a long rap sheet of petty crime.

Old 12-13-2022, 12:54 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Wow, "petty crimes", go have a talk with John Loughlin.

They were never "exonerated", multiple appeals and multiple commissions looked at the case and agreed that they were treated fairly by the PD and received a fair trial with a diverse jury. The consistency of their confessions, with the support of their parents, all laid out the identical chronology on that night.
Only after Bill Deblasio became mayor did the city settle to the tune of $41m, money but no exoneration.
No exoneration due to pride. They would have to admit they messed up and how often do you see people come out to the public and admit things like that with wrongful imprisonment?

There is a constant theme of lack of accountability.

Last edited by Gilmoregal; 12-13-2022 at 01:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City