Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 09:24 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
All of this... Northeast Queens has held on because it is generally more expensive, but you have many Asians that move over from the Flushing area when they have made it and want to live a more upper middle class lifestyle, so we are seeing more of them in Little Neck and Douglaston, but all over NE Queens in general (Bayside, Bay Terrace, Beechhurst, Whitestone, etc.) and they are buying usually with cash.

That said, there are still plenty of Whites in NE Queens a chunk of them Republican like myself, which is why Vicki Paladino was able to win the Council seat, along with Congressman George Santos. Worth noting that some Asians will vote Republican over Democrat being a bit more conservative.
All In The Family had an episode where the Bunkers find out a black family is moving onto the block. It was hilarious!

Of course the Bunkers were meant to live in Queens, NY which was a different place in 1960's and 1970's compared to now

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0509884/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MkR_idYcU0

https://www.scoutingny.com/stopping-...use-in-queens/

Bunkers supposedly lived at 704 Hauser Street in Astoria, which of course is a fictional address that does not exist. Location shots (in particular street shown during opening credits) was Middle Village/Glendale area of Queens. An area according to Wiki's 2010 census data was 64% white.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendale,_Queens

According to latest census data for zip code 11385 (Glendale - Ridgewood) white population is down to 43% with Latino/Hispanics at 47%.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/86000US11385-11385/

Last edited by BugsyPal; 04-25-2023 at 09:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2023, 09:33 PM

1,424 posts, read 726,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
All In The Family had an episode where the Bunkers find out a black family is moving onto the block. It was hilarious!

Of course the Bunkers were meant to live in Queens, NY which was a different place in 1960's and 1970's compared to now

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0509884/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MkR_idYcU0

https://www.scoutingny.com/stopping-...use-in-queens/

Bunkers supposedly lived at 704 Hauser Street in Astoria, which of course is a fictional address that does not exist. Location shots (in particular street shown during opening credits) was Middle Village/Glendale area of Queens. An area according to Wiki's 2010 census data was 64% white. Recent 2021 census data shows about 41% white with 20% black and 27% Asian.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glendale,_Queens

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...york/PST045221
I lived on Glendale/Middle Village until 2018. No way are blacks 20% of that area. I would be surprised if that percentage was as high as 5%.

As for the OP, Queens will likely end up like the Bronx, where Whites will be a very miniscule minority except for a handful of neighborhoods. Except Asians will likely be the majority instead of Hispanics.

Old 04-25-2023, 09:37 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
I lived on Glendale/Middle Village until 2018. No way are blacks 20% of that area. I would be surprised if that percentage was as high as 5%.

As for the OP, Queens will likely end up like the Bronx, where Whites will be a very miniscule minority except for a handful of neighborhoods. Except Asians will likely be the majority instead of Hispanics.
My bad, didn't look at census data headline; total demographic breakdown are for entire borough of Queens.

Searched again plugging in zip code 11385 and you're right, stats are vastly different.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/86000US11385-11385/

Old 04-26-2023, 12:12 AM

789 posts, read 487,339 times
It certainly will become less than 10% in short time. There are very few old school white families who own single family homes in Queens (let's say ages 40-60 yrs old). That age group moved out of Queens for two reasons 1) couldn't afford to buy a home in the neighborhood they grew up in as chinese foreign buyers pushed the market 2) even if they could afford to, as you say the white pop has been downtrending for decades so us white folks know the quality of life in Queens won't be similar to the life we had decades ago regardless of housing costs. And what few white sinlge homes are left will be sold off to chinese after the parents pass away and the kids take the money elsewhere. And as the houses are sold, they are being knocked down and turned into rentals. The majority of Queens will be all rentals, and as we know along with rentals comes low rent people (usually non white). Them be the facts. Just look at College Pt for example. A flourshing white suburban like neighborhood for decades but now mostly a rental community to low income foreign born hispanics and gang bangers. The 109pct are seeing crimes that they've never witnessed before (ex: machette attacks).

Just in the past year I've made exploratory visits to Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Las Vegas and even parts of Orange County, CA for future relocation. All of these places reminded me again of what it was like when I was younger growing up around majority white folks in the 70s/80s. I had totally forgotten. And what's very interesting I noticed is how few Asians were located in these cities. You forget that here in Queens we have been inundated with foreign born Chinese over the last 30 years and that most cities in America are not like that. I also noticed that in most other cities where it's mostly white or black folk, they seem to get along better than they do here in places like NY/LA/Chicago.

Old 04-26-2023, 05:30 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
It certainly will become less than 10% in short time. There are very few old school white families who own single family homes in Queens (let's say ages 40-60 yrs old). That age group moved out of Queens for two reasons 1) couldn't afford to buy a home in the neighborhood they grew up in as chinese foreign buyers pushed the market 2) even if they could afford to, as you say the white pop has been downtrending for decades so us white folks know the quality of life in Queens won't be similar to the life we had decades ago regardless of housing costs. And what few white sinlge homes are left will be sold off to chinese after the parents pass away and the kids take the money elsewhere. And as the houses are sold, they are being knocked down and turned into rentals. The majority of Queens will be all rentals, and as we know along with rentals comes low rent people (usually non white). Them be the facts. Just look at College Pt for example. A flourshing white suburban like neighborhood for decades but now mostly a rental community to low income foreign born hispanics and gang bangers. The 109pct are seeing crimes that they've never witnessed before (ex: machette attacks).

Just in the past year I've made exploratory visits to Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale, Boca Raton, Las Vegas and even parts of Orange County, CA for future relocation. All of these places reminded me again of what it was like when I was younger growing up around majority white folks in the 70s/80s. I had totally forgotten. And what's very interesting I noticed is how few Asians were located in these cities. You forget that here in Queens we have been inundated with foreign born Chinese over the last 30 years and that most cities in America are not like that. I also noticed that in most other cities where it's mostly white or black folk, they seem to get along better than they do here in places like NY/LA/Chicago.

I believe there is much truth to the last sentence.
I have worked in housing for over 20 years.
It is a culture of it's own.

When I travel to visit family and friends out of state people seem to get along better.

I as you are long time New Yorkers.
We know how beautiful our neighborhoods were back then.

We had a saying " We may be poor but we are not pigs "

With City Housing came so did Graffiti and Litter and Crime. This was the birth of
a downgrade in quality of Life for our decades that affected many wholesome nearby residencies.

When the food is bad at one store you go shopping at another.................

Old 04-26-2023, 05:53 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The world is changing, and NYC is included.

People holding onto the notion that "this race" would thrive better than "that race," or "this race" should not live here amongst "that race," etc, is hateful rhetoric that is divisive.

Good rule of thumb that folks should learn as kids--
Be a kind person and a good neighbor. Mind your own friends & family and your own business, and you be the best human being you can be. Don't be prejudiced and judgemental, and a busy body in other's affairs.

If everyone lived according to these simple rules, we would be happy and productive.

The US is a pretty diverse place. Let's stop making look like it isn't. That is divisive.

I believe many people of many races are taught that rule of thumb of being kind to one another.

I investigate the question
" Why do races have trouble living among each other "
or
"Why can't different races live among each other? "

I do not think it is hateful and divisive especially here in the U.S. but
Factions of our Democratic Party seem inclined to push this topic.
Why? Maybe votes.......Who knows?

I would pose the question about race divisions globally to homogeneous places around the world.

I would ask the questions to China,Japan,Israel,Haiti,Argentina, Rwanda and Uruguay for starters.
Data shows they are very homogeneous.

Let's listen to what these other places have to say about diversity.

Old 04-26-2023, 06:05 AM

537 posts, read 446,060 times
I have black neighbors on each side of me. They're very well educated people with great jobs.

I'm the old retired guy they all talk about. Their yards and homes. are absolutely pristine--like something out of a magazine.

My hometown has been taken over by first Hispanics, the Vietnamese and now Kurds. Many of the ethnics live 2-3 families in one house, and the neighborhoods have deteriorated greatly. They pool their incomes, and they have the money to pay substantially more for housing. Home prices are about double what they should be--driving people out of the area. We moved 3 years ago, but ended up 90 miles away in another state because of excessive home prices.

Old 04-26-2023, 10:58 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,956,351 times
I think it's inevitable for the white population to continuously shrink in Queens. People have talked about white flight reversing from the cities, however, that is not supported by facts once you start looking at local (boro) level. Queens never stopped experiencing white with each successive decade. I saw it with my own eyes what happened to my neighborhood in Northeast Queens. I don't begrudge anyone for leaving Queens, heck my parents left for Fairfield, CT in 2015 and haven't looked back. They kept the house for a (disabled) family member, otherwise, they would have sold. They don't even come out to the Queens house anymore. For our former neighbors, and family friends who moved out, the math was simple: deteriorating quality of life + being able to sell at a premium ($1M+ easy for a decent house) is worth cashing out and buying something elsewhere all cash with a better quality of life (and possibly, weather). Outside of two of the kids that I grew up with, everyone else is gone.

I feel like I sound like an old guy when I lament the great memories of growing up in my part of Queens. Suburban yet in the city, safe and an all-around great place to make friends/hang out, etc. I have known that the writing is on the wall for a long time.

Speaking of Queens, definitely interested in checking out this movie. I'm pretty sure it won't be accurate in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_YDDN66Q1I

Old 04-26-2023, 11:42 AM

8,378 posts, read 4,395,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Who care what the ethnicity of the people are? People are people! As long as people moving into Queens will bring peace and joy into the neighborhood, then that's all that matters!
Absolutely true, and immigrants (with the exception of drug cartels from Central America, who come for the specific purpose of drug trade) have extremely low crime rates, regardless of the fact that many immigrants are poor. Crime is not due to immigration or poverty, but due to crime culture. Likewise, gun violence is not due to guns, but due to crime culture.

Old 04-26-2023, 04:43 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Why do white people lament the lack of white people when they are the ones that moved out? The trope of "the neighborhood is not good, the schools are no good, there's too much crime" really is part of their own making.

In many middle-class neighborhoods whites fled as soon as non-white families moved in. And the fled DESPITE the fact that many of these new families were as middle-class, ambitious, and hard-working as they were. They had to be to afford the semi-suburban-style Queens housing in the first place. But because too many white folks just had to have white neighbors they split, and left so fast that neighborhoods (with the help of unscrupulous real estate agents and mortgage lenders) became highly destabilized.

If folks recognized what their neighbors were actually like, instead of what thought they were like, many parts of New York (not just Queens) would look a lot different and be a lot more peaceful than they are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City