Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2023, 10:14 AM

314 posts, read 547,241 times

Advertisements

I live in New London, Connecticut and have a long-distance girlfriend who's flying in to spend a weekend with me. Our plan is to visit NYC for a day, leaving around 10pm or so. I'm seeking advice on the most efficient and inexpensive method.

I own a car but I don't want to drive to the city due to traffic and parking. My current plan is to drive to a Netro North outside the city (western Connecticut) and take the train in and out of the city. The problem with that plan is the Metro North seems to stop running around 9 or so. An alternative plan is to drive to the northern Bronx, park in a parking garage and use the 24 hour MTA service.

Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 05:13 PM

5,823 posts, read 2,943,117 times
Be a man, get into your car and drive it.
Park it in a garage and do what you need in NYC.

Then when you are tired and ready to go back home, pay for the garage, be a man, open the door, let your lady in and you drive home. Turn on seat massager and If she takes a nap while you navigate your ship back home, its only a good thing.

Simple logistical solution.

Thats how Id roll.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:51 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
I’d drive. The subways are a hellhole now. Don’t risk it for one day that’s supposed to be relaxing and fun. Park the car in a garage.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 05-24-2023, 06:37 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,217,629 times
If you take the subways, wear a bullet proof vest.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:25 PM

59 posts, read 21,849 times
Just drive into that mofo

Old 05-25-2023, 12:31 AM

788 posts, read 486,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinmets73 View Post
I live in New London, Connecticut and have a long-distance girlfriend who's flying in to spend a weekend with me. Our plan is to visit NYC for a day, leaving around 10pm or so. I'm seeking advice on the most efficient and inexpensive method.

I own a car but I don't want to drive to the city due to traffic and parking. My current plan is to drive to a Netro North outside the city (western Connecticut) and take the train in and out of the city. The problem with that plan is the Metro North seems to stop running around 9 or so. An alternative plan is to drive to the northern Bronx, park in a parking garage and use the 24 hour MTA service.

Any other ideas?
My good friend who is from Queens originally lives in Branford. Here's what we do when he drives down to hang out. He drives to Queens over either the Whitestone or Throgs Neck Bridge, parks the car in the Bayside Long Island Railroad train station area. From there the LIRR is only 20 minutes into Penn station. The best part is the LIRR is pretty safe and runs back to Bayside thru about 3am. Also driving back to CT after around midnight from Queens is really easy.

Old 05-25-2023, 02:48 AM

30,636 posts, read 18,227,675 times
I agree with others who are saying to drive. There is parking on residential side streets in NYC where you can leave your car all day long (make sure to read the parking/street cleaning restrictions, though). If you're concerned about parking and hellbent on taking the subway, I'd park on the street somewhere in Manhattan and then make your way to the subway.

Personally, I'd just drive everywhere and work to find parking. One common mistake that many make IMO is continuously driving around the block trying to find an open parking spot. I'll double park on a street (assuming the street is wide enough for cars to get by) and wait for a spot to open. I've had much better luck with this method.

Old 05-25-2023, 06:52 AM

1,064 posts, read 545,196 times
There are apps/websites that give you parking discounts in Manhattan garages. I know some out of towners who use this https://www.bestparking.com/new-york...-city-parking/

If you don't like driving in Manhattan, then maybe choose Upper West Side so you'd be parking soon after entering Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: