Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2023, 08:49 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
My question to you is why are you so angry/hostile at Black people? Did a Black person beat you up or something? Serious question... You confirmed that you don't live in a Black neighborhood (and I assume you don't work with them) so why do you care so much about them?
First, it's not anger or hostility. It may be righteous indignation. I'm Jewish but maybe I was a protestant in another life. lol

Secondly, I have the same "anger/hostility" towards some of my fellow Jews, fellow "white" immigrants, and anything else I perceive as being ****ed up.

Why do I care? Because it affects me personally via quality of life in NYC. We all don't live in a bubble. If you pay taxes, you have a right to be indignant. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 07:14 PM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
First, it's not anger or hostility. It may be righteous indignation. I'm Jewish but maybe I was a protestant in another life. lol

Secondly, I have the same "anger/hostility" towards some of my fellow Jews, fellow "white" immigrants, and anything else I perceive as being ****ed up.

Why do I care? Because it affects me personally via quality of life in NYC. We all don't live in a bubble. If you pay taxes, you have a right to be indignant. Simple as that.
If it's just about taxes and not about race then you should be equally pissed at other groups that have similarly high levels of unemployment. Blacks have the highest levels here in NYC, but only by a small amount. Hispanics are a very close second, as both groups have unemployment levels above 9% from what I've seen.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:00 AM

91 posts, read 119,700 times
Wow total opposite of a vast amount years of observation of Black and White races in New York City...Wow.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:56 AM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
I ask you once agin. How many immigrant to the US have "gone back"? From all of the immigrants that ever came to the US, it has got to be less than 1/100 of 1%.
Very few to almost none Northern Europeans went back. The rare exception was Italians.

Quote:
Overall, 20 to 30 percent of Italian immigrants returned to Italy permanently.
https://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/vo...%20permanently.

The 20 to 30% return rate was due to prejudice against Italians that Irish and northern Europeans didn't face.

Quote:
Attacks on Italians were not limited to the printed page, however. From the late 1880s, anti-immigrant societies sprang up around the country, and the Ku Klux Klan saw a spike in membership. Catholic churches and charities were vandalized and burned, and Italians attacked by mobs. In the 1890s alone, more than 20 Italians were lynched.

One of the bloodiest episodes took place in New Orleans in 1891. When the chief of police was found shot to death on the street one night, the mayor blamed "Sicilian gangsters" and rounded up more than 100 Sicilian Americans. Eventually, 19 were put on trial and, as the nation's Italian Americans watched nervously, were found not guilty for lack of evidence. Before they could be freed, however, a mob of 10,000 people, including many of New Orleans' most prominent citizens, broke into the jail. They dragged 11 Sicilians from their cells and lynched them, including two men jailed on other offenses.
https://www.loc.gov/classroom-materi.../under-attack/

The truth is past the first generation, you loss all meaningful contact with overseas relatives. By the second generation, all contact is gone.

================================================== ==

Back to the thread:

"And for low-income individuals, I wouldn’t say they’re better off, but I would say that there are opportunities for them,†due to New York’s social safety net programs, she said." https://www.thecity.nyc/2023/5/22/23...h-unemployment

It used to be families that provided the safety net, not the government. My guess is that good employment has more to do with family structure (two parent families), emphasis on education, and a looking out for each other attitude and encouragement. If you look for the government for support, there many be more of a feeling that you aren't in control of your future.

Old 06-07-2023, 12:01 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Quote:
Quote:
The Black jobless rate of 12.2% is nine times the white unemployment level, a far wider gap than elsewhere in the U.S.

Quote:
Today, even as the city nears a complete recovery from the pandemic recession, the number is 12.2% compared with a white worker rate of 1.3%. It is also nearly double the Hispanic rate, according to an analysis by economist James Parrott at The New School.

Meanwhile the national Black jobless rate in May slid to 4.7%, the lowest on record and the narrowest gap with white workers ever. That momentum is reflected in fast-growing cities like Miami where Black workers are making strong gains.
Why is the Black jobless rate being compared to the White jobless rate? In this country, these two groups have always been opposites on the metrics of society's spectrum. It's an excuse for conversational bait to get people talking about "why Black people are less successful than White people".

It hasn't always been this way with the Black American population in NYC. In former generations, Blacks in NYC were goals for Blacks in other cities to follow; especially southern Blacks. Now, the tables have turned and Blacks left in NYC are on the bottom.

Why are Black NYers unemployed at critical levels in 2023? The top 7 reasons in my opinion, in no certain order:

1. Extreme low self-esteem. In spite of the bluster, swagger, cursing/swearing, loudness, over the top personality traits/clothing/hairstyles, many have a very a vast, deep pit of low self esteem.
2. Too many are stuck in "keeping it real" which is a pattern and mindset that keeps one self-sabotaging, regressing instead of progressing, going backwards instead of forward. The mindset says if you're progressing and moving forward, you're an imposter, fake, a wanna-be, or White-washed. In other words, forward progress means that they're forsaking their culture. This is a vicious cycle that traps those who give in to it.
3. Lack of goals-setting in the home. If you're aiming for nothing, you're sure to reach it.
4. Lack of family pride. One is either brought up with it or they're not. Family pride sets the expectations for all members of the family. A person is less likely to wallow in failure if they know their actions will deeply disappoint or hurt the family members they love and respect.
5. Lack of thinking and planning ahead. Hence, the average Black student high school age and above
hasn't learned a trade or acquired a skill that will sustain a livelihood to support a family (especially the males/men). They reach age 20+ with one or more children and no career.
6. Tried to shortcut, half-step, or "get over" to success which led to a path of going nowhere.
7. Severely delayed stated of psychological maturity.

Old 06-07-2023, 12:15 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Very few to almost none Northern Europeans went back. The rare exception was Italians.

https://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/vo...%20permanently.

The 20 to 30% return rate was due to prejudice against Italians that Irish and northern Europeans didn't face.

https://www.loc.gov/classroom-materi.../under-attack/

The truth is past the first generation, you loss all meaningful contact with overseas relatives. By the second generation, all contact is gone.
I believe that to be very true. However, when you've never had something, it's easy to idealized it and make it seem to be more than it really is. African Americans were abruptly and traumatically cut off from ties to the country and people. Add to that, being rejected here in the USA (and only later begrudgingly considered full American) and not having a country to return to creates a sense of rootlessness that is hard to understand, if you're not African American.

But in actuality, as you've said, after the 2nd generations are born in America, most lose contact with the land and people from whence their fore-parents came so they are just as rootless. However, the circumstances that made each group "rootless" is different so it shows up differently.

Old 06-07-2023, 07:40 AM

93,178 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Your statement is a perfect example of the fantasy narrative that many black Americans have woven in order to hold on to maintain the "most oppressed" narrative so that they can exploit/demand special treatment.

I ask you once agin. How many immigrant to the US have "gone back"? From all of the immigrants that ever came to the US, it has got to be less than 1/100 of 1%.

What are groups in the US have woven an "oppressed" narrative and demanded special treatment which never seems to be enough? The only one's coming close to now are the trannies and the most militant of the trannies also happen to be black? "Black Trans Lives Matter" lol. Remember that one?
I never said anything about what some would call "grievance olympics". My point is one of socio-historical observations. Yorktown already gave an example of those that went back, but the point I was also making was made by the post above by Klassyhk and that those immigrants still had a specific place to refer back to. That's whether it was a country, group or community(think of a city like Gdansk, which has been under German and Polish occupation).

Anyway, I also think people have to think about those that immigrate, but may not get established yet in terms of black immigrants. Plus, the fact is that unemployment rates have long been uneven: https://www.brookings.edu/2023/02/13...tes-1954-2021/ That is in part why some states in the South would encourage black people to find work Up North and in many cases, women would go alone(i.e.- having a grandmother that went from SC to work in homes in Scarsdale) and then family would follow or vice versa with a man going alone. So, this has been an issue that goes back a long time.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-07-2023 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-07-2023, 09:13 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Why is the Black jobless rate being compared to the White jobless rate? In this country, these two groups have always been opposites on the metrics of society's spectrum. It's an excuse for conversational bait to get people talking about "why Black people are less successful than White people".

It hasn't always been this way with the Black American population in NYC. In former generations, Blacks in NYC were goals for Blacks in other cities to follow; especially southern Blacks. Now, the tables have turned and Blacks left in NYC are on the bottom.

Why are Black NYers unemployed at critical levels in 2023? The top 7 reasons in my opinion, in no certain order:

1. Extreme low self-esteem. In spite of the bluster, swagger, cursing/swearing, loudness, over the top personality traits/clothing/hairstyles, many have a very a vast, deep pit of low self esteem.
2. Too many are stuck in "keeping it real" which is a pattern and mindset that keeps one self-sabotaging, regressing instead of progressing, going backwards instead of forward. The mindset says if you're progressing and moving forward, you're an imposter, fake, a wanna-be, or White-washed. In other words, forward progress means that they're forsaking their culture. This is a vicious cycle that traps those who give in to it.
3. Lack of goals-setting in the home. If you're aiming for nothing, you're sure to reach it.
4. Lack of family pride. One is either brought up with it or they're not. Family pride sets the expectations for all members of the family. A person is less likely to wallow in failure if they know their actions will deeply disappoint or hurt the family members they love and respect.
5. Lack of thinking and planning ahead. Hence, the average Black student high school age and above
hasn't learned a trade or acquired a skill that will sustain a livelihood to support a family (especially the males/men). They reach age 20+ with one or more children and no career.
6. Tried to shortcut, half-step, or "get over" to success which led to a path of going nowhere.
7. Severely delayed stated of psychological maturity.
This is very true. I notice a lot of blacks have either an obsession with making it big in show business or sports when younger.

Older blacks seem more resigned to working dead end jobs in security or retail in the private sector. The smarter or connected ones get into public service where the stereotype of lazy government employees holds true ( regardless of race).

But you rarely see blacks in middle class jobs like teacher anymore.

Old 06-07-2023, 09:36 AM

93,178 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
This is very true. I notice a lot of blacks have either an obsession with making it big in show business or sports when younger.

Older blacks seem more resigned to working dead end jobs in security or retail in the private sector. The smarter or connected ones get into public service where the stereotype of lazy government employees holds true ( regardless of race).

But you rarely see blacks in middle class jobs like teacher anymore.
19% of NYC public school teachers are black(4% are black men): https://ny.chalkbeat.org/2023/3/8/23...%20Black%20men.

Many used to get recruited to Northern districts from the South decades ago. Ironically, that is a topic that has come up statewide.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:37 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Here's one way to open up a lot of jobs. *LOL*

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...struction.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City