Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 12:35 PM

926 posts, read 417,185 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

If someone spent a few years in the City in the mid-2000s and never returned since, came back now, would this person find a totally different NYC ? Or is the vibe still more or less the same ?

My question is about both:
1- NYC as a whole
2- the UWS (especially the southern part of the UWS)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 01:18 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,215,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleura123 View Post
would this person find a totally different NYC ? Or is the vibe still more or less the same ?
Way different.

2007 still had some remnants of the 90s/pre-9/11 NYC feel to it.

But by 2008-2010 it started changing drastically. Becoming less unique but safer. The pandemic has changed that in there isn't the same sense of safety but the vanilla vibe of the 2010s is still there.

It's still a solid and interesting place to be but if you're looking for what it was like in the past and expecting that you'll be disappointed.

Old 10-05-2023, 01:29 PM

3,198 posts, read 1,665,647 times
NYC circa 2007 was much more interesting than now. For one thing you don't have so many starbucks and franchise fast food every corner. There are lot more neighborhood eats.

Today a private eatery is some type of gimmick trendy eats so it can charge up to $20+ per item. Gone are the delis selling just egg and cheese or bars. UWS always has a pub or 2 at every corner and newstands selling lottery.

I missed the old days when you see a diner every few blocks that opens late that you can get a burger or soup anytime. Today all you see is smoke shops.

Old 10-05-2023, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Way different.

2007 still had some remnants of the 90s/pre-9/11 NYC feel to it.

But by 2008-2010 it started changing drastically. Becoming less unique but safer. The pandemic has changed that in there isn't the same sense of safety but the vanilla vibe of the 2010s is still there.

It's still a solid and interesting place to be but if you're looking for what it was like in the past and expecting that you'll be disappointed.
I see, thanks. Yeah, I think I would be disappointed. I lived there in 2005-2007, then came back for a visit (10 days or so) in September 2008, and never been back since.

Back then it was (or at least it felt) quite safe. But it had character. The best of both worlds, I guess. Years late I read articles that made it sound like Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn had turned into a giant Disneyland. And what you are saying kind of confirms that.

Old 10-05-2023, 03:38 PM

5,813 posts, read 2,940,694 times
Less homeless and no weed smell back then. Things were a bit cheaper.

Old 10-05-2023, 03:49 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,641,462 times
Quality of life issues were enforced. Streets were cleaner and there weren't any unregistered, uninsured scooters everywhere.

Old 10-05-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Less homeless and no weed smell back then. Things were a bit cheaper.
Real estate prices have gone down, no ? Maybe it depends on the neighborhoods. On the UWS, from what I can see online, it seems to have gone down.

Old 10-05-2023, 04:48 PM

5,813 posts, read 2,940,694 times
Quote:
Real estate prices have gone down, no ? Maybe it depends on the neighborhoods. On the UWS, from what I can see online, it seems to have gone down.
I meant you could get more bang for your buck.

Old 10-06-2023, 01:58 AM

787 posts, read 485,645 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

If someone spent a few years in the City in the mid-2000s and never returned since, came back now, would this person find a totally different NYC ? Or is the vibe still more or less the same ?

My question is about both:
1- NYC as a whole
2- the UWS (especially the southern part of the UWS)
Interesting questions. But hard to answer since the NYC experience really varies by age. In 2007 I was 35 and had plenty of money to party in more "classier" joints vs. my 20s in the 90s. However I'd say the 90s were a lot more fun and authentic NYC. The NYC you saw in movies back in the day.

Generally speaking, in 2007 the city was still recovering from the aftermath of 9/11. But the vibe was good, from what I remember. I worked in midtown and downtown and both areas were totally vibrant and really gave you that corporate excitement during the day! And it was def safer. I really didn't think twice about crime in Manhattan back in those days. The NYPD were still cracking skulls.

While I no longer go into Manhattan often, hard to argue its the same since covid but more importantly the BLM riots of 2020, and the handcuffing of the NYPD. Not sure what kind of good feeling vibe a city can have knowing that criminals have NO FEAR of police or being arrested or going to jail.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
Interesting questions. But hard to answer since the NYC experience really varies by age. In 2007 I was 35 and had plenty of money to party in more "classier" joints vs. my 20s in the 90s. However I'd say the 90s were a lot more fun and authentic NYC. The NYC you saw in movies back in the day.

Generally speaking, in 2007 the city was still recovering from the aftermath of 9/11. But the vibe was good, from what I remember. I worked in midtown and downtown and both areas were totally vibrant and really gave you that corporate excitement during the day! And it was def safer. I really didn't think twice about crime in Manhattan back in those days. The NYPD were still cracking skulls.

While I no longer go into Manhattan often, hard to argue its the same since covid but more importantly the BLM riots of 2020, and the handcuffing of the NYPD. Not sure what kind of good feeling vibe a city can have knowing that criminals have NO FEAR of police or being arrested or going to jail.

Yes, that's true regarding the age. I was 24/25 back then. Wasn't into partying or restaurants and the like, but had plenty of energy to take walks, enjoy the parks, and the general vibe of the UWS. And you're right about Midtown giving you that corporate excitment during the day - I definitely felt it. Is that gone ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City