Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2023, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 1,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Moses forced car-friendly down NYC people's throat! He won in the beginning and middle years. But in the end, folk started fighting back. For anti-car folk, also doesn't hurt to have a Rockefeller take Moses's power away in the end!
If you notice, the people that are very pro-car in NYC tend to be from dirt poor sewage infested third world countries that never had big mass transit systems so they end up wanting to drive. Whenever they interview someone about closed streets or bike lanes it's always the people not from here that angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 12:42 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times

Lots of new members with low post counts getting banned in this thread.

Old 11-08-2023, 01:14 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post

Lots of new members with low post counts getting banned in this thread.

I'm sending the migrants back home
You want them to stay? Lol

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-08-2023, 02:27 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic50 View Post
I lived here nearly my whole life with a couple years in Florida and another couple in Jersey.

This city sucks ass and I hate it. I can't freaking drive anywhere and on top of the congestion pricing and bike lanes, bus lanes, and whatever in my area, I am done.

Nearly everyone in my neighborhood in Queens is gone and all these people from wherever moved in. It was great when it was just white and black, but even the new generation of whites are not like the old ones. They don't have car or if they do, they never drive them and just use the bus or subway. I got nothing in common with them.

I was hoping our city would get rid of all these subways and bike paths, and we could be like Texas with their big freeways, but instead we are almost like Europe. I tried to get people to stop reactivating the Rockaway Branch and some pro-transit guy punched me in the head and spat on me last month.

I been looking at homes in Texas or Tennessee cause I want to be around people that look like me and people that want to be like America not like Europe or Asia. The homes are beautiful especially in Tennessee and I get a ton of space as well.
Sounds like you have "hit your wall" with New York City.

It's understandable! Once you reach a certain age, your physical ability to be able to walk so much, go up and down stairs, deal with stress of constant people everywhere, is not as flexible and fluid as it was when younger.

That's why a few folks usually migrate to areas of the country more laid back, with room to move, more privacy, and no crowds.

Go. Enjoy. Venture far out. And most of all relax.

NYC is no longer for you, and that is totally cool.

Old 11-08-2023, 04:54 PM

2,624 posts, read 1,219,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventhfloor View Post
i'm sending the migrants back home
you want them to stay? Lol
I have no issues

Old 11-08-2023, 04:58 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
I have no issues
Then carry on

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-08-2023, 06:33 PM

10,098 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatspicy View Post
Moses was a garbage planner and the reason why the city has the problems it has today. NYC was destined to go the direction of Paris, Tokyo, or London, but Moses pulled NYC towards the direction of Atlanta.
Like Paris? Like London? What?

See the graph here:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ngested-cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatspicy
As for Staten Island, you don't know NYC city very well. Staten Island was supposed to have an extension of the subway and it was already populated before the car even came on the scene. Complication was building the tunnel from Manhattan to Staten Island. Even when the Verrazano-Bridge was being constructed Moses refused to allow the subway to run onto the bridge so he intentionally built the bridge in a way that the subway can never be run on it unlike GWB between NJ and Manhattan that has capability.
Right...

"Staten Island is the only borough where the majority of commuters (64 percent) drive, while only 8 percent of Manhattanites drive to work. Staten Island is also the only borough where more commuters drive than take the subway, but it’s close in Queens."
https://edc.nyc/article/new-yorkers-...%20in%20Queens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatspicy
Houston for example expanded to 26 lanes three years ago borrowing Moses's concept and it failed in three months.
I can't find anywhere that Houston "borrowed Moses's concept" in any of its urban design, but they do have better traffic than NYC.

See the graph here:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...st-for-drivers

Old 11-08-2023, 10:07 PM

789 posts, read 486,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatspicy View Post
If you notice, the people that are very pro-car in NYC tend to be from dirt poor sewage infested third world countries that never had big mass transit systems so they end up wanting to drive. Whenever they interview someone about closed streets or bike lanes it's always the people not from here that angry.
You post the most opposite of what is reality.

3rd worlders are pro car? What 3rd worlders grew up driving cars? Numnutz.

The people that love cars in NYC come from the outer boroughs where their families have lived for 100+ years. Numnutz.

Old 11-09-2023, 12:37 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,127,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvainraider View Post
Also, the people that are pro-car or pro-Robert Moses tend to be pedophiles.
…so their opponents are pedalphiles?

Old 11-09-2023, 09:26 AM

816 posts, read 445,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
…so their opponents are pedalphiles?
That was funny, very good Boorgong...

This thread started very ugly and went a much different direction than I thought when I first saw the thread title name.

Yea, I moved away from NYC 2 years ago, but damn some people are real nasty about the city. I enjoyed it for quite a while, but now I don't so we moved down south. But that doesn't mean disparage everyone who loves it or wants to stay.

I agree with a few here that see some on this thread are trolls with nasty behind the keyboard tough guy comments. No matter the opinion, there's no need for stupid racist comments.

I hope they are banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City