Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 01:44 PM

209 posts, read 313,229 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Does anyone remember or miss any of the following old Chelsea, Manhattan business's that vanished over the past two decades:

1. Retail stores:

Barnes and Nobles on 6th and 22nd.

The Comic store on 23rd near the Chelsea Hotel

A few variety stores that actually had nice full sized toy departments

Allan's Alley video rental: Had a few treats like ice cream and a faxing service. Had a huge variety, never out of new releases and the owner was a world class gem

Some misc. video store on 8th between 21st and 20th

2. Grocery Stores:

Chelsea Terrace Supermarket on 9th and 24th:

Small store that somehow squeezed a supermarket level of variety goods into 1/50th the size. had lotto and the store owner for years even let customers buy on credit. owned by a man named Jimmy the Greek

3. Restaurants:

Hong Kong Noodle between 25th and 24th on 8th

Several Cuban Chinese and Puerto Rican places on 8th avenue between 20th and 14th street.

A tiny Italian place between 25th and 26th on 8th

Twin Donut/Heartland Cafe on 9th and 24th: Donut shop that also served some full course meals

A Donut sandwich shop on the corner of 8th and 23rd.

A few Chinese places

The old Moonstruck diner that became Rail Line before it closed for good

The Mcdonalds on 8th between 26th and 27th. Was not just a fast food place, but was used for informal community meetings.

I miss the good old days.

Does anyone remember or miss any of these places or any other places in Chelsea that vanished?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 02:19 PM

5,813 posts, read 2,940,694 times
One thing is for sure. As you age you miss thing from the past assoiciated with your youth. Ah those glorious days coming out of Tunnel at 7 am trying to remember where you parked your car.
I wasn’t here in 80s but I’d love to experience nyc without all the boring chains like Starbucks, paneras and the rest of the generic garbage.
Also music before Ticketmaster must have been great no ?

Old 11-30-2023, 02:25 PM

2,618 posts, read 1,215,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
The WORST!!!!

Old 11-30-2023, 03:28 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
One thing is for sure. As you age you miss thing from the past assoiciated with your youth. Ah those glorious days coming out of Tunnel at 7 am trying to remember where you parked your car.
I wasn’t here in 80s but I’d love to experience nyc without all the boring chains like Starbucks, paneras and the rest of the generic garbage.

I was lucky, my BFF lived on 8th Ave / 16th, and lets throw an Amen to that.
yes, those wonderous nights turned into days, for sure.

NYC in the 80's was amazing.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:50 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
I haven't lived in that area since I was in high school but I remember renting VHS tapes at Allen's Alley and back then you either had to put down a credit card for a deposit which a lot of people didn't have or 80 dollars cash which you got back when you returned the movie.

Old 11-30-2023, 09:18 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
There were no crazy fees attached to tickets. However, for hot events, you did have to queue the night before on the sidewalk to wait for the box office to open in the morning.

Old 12-01-2023, 05:06 AM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

Does anyone remember or miss any of the following old Chelsea, Manhattan business's that vanished over the past two decades:

1. Retail stores:

Barnes and Nobles on 6th and 22nd.

The Comic store on 23rd near the Chelsea Hotel

A few variety stores that actually had nice full sized toy departments

Allan's Alley video rental: Had a few treats like ice cream and a faxing service. Had a huge variety, never out of new releases and the owner was a world class gem

Some misc. video store on 8th between 21st and 20th

2. Grocery Stores:

Chelsea Terrace Supermarket on 9th and 24th:

Small store that somehow squeezed a supermarket level of variety goods into 1/50th the size. had lotto and the store owner for years even let customers buy on credit. owned by a man named Jimmy the Greek

3. Restaurants:

Several Cuban Chinese and Puerto Rican places on 8th avenue between 20th and 14th street.

Twin Donut/Heartland Cafe on 9th and 24th: Donut shop that also served some full course meals

A few Chinese places

The Mcdonalds on 8th between 26th and 27th. Was not just a fast food place, but was used for informal community meetings.

I miss the good old days.

Does anyone remember or miss any of these places or any other places in Chelsea that vanished?

Thanks
Yup I remember the diner with it's very tiny parking spaces but heck still free parking.
Sad. NYC.............is no longer the place I remember.

Old 12-01-2023, 11:57 AM

27,200 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

3. Restaurants:

A few Chinese places

I think the tiny Italian place you're referring to was Cola's. I had been several times and liked it.

Old 12-01-2023, 12:50 PM

3,349 posts, read 1,237,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I think the tiny Italian place you're referring to was Cola's. I had been several times and liked it.
I don't remember this place at all and I lived a block from there. This was in the 90s and I was a kid so maybe it wasn't there yet or I just never ate there.

Old 12-01-2023, 01:27 PM

7 posts, read 3,590 times
I bought Zelda for n64 at that comic store!

Yes to Twin Donuts, Manhattan Comics, the Chelsea Flea Market in the Garage...

You still got Billymarks and Pizza Suprema !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: