Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2024, 03:32 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times

Advertisements

Awesome thanks, I just commented on his twitter post.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2024, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
You make a good point about cities and companies settling because it's cheaper in the long run. But I don't know about your claim. They arrest hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people in NYC every day. That would be plenty of opportunity for people to make bogus claims that result in settlements. But not a chance most of those people are suing so that leaves us to look at the small number (in percentages) that do sue and the behavior of the officers in the cases that do settle.
The city settled my single solitary lawsuit in 18.5 years. They paid $20,000 to one "plaintiff" and $5,000 to the other.

The guy who got $20,000 looked me dead in the eye and told me in the cells that he had broke his arm playing hockey two days earlier and attacked my cop because he needed it taken care of.

His buddy who got $5,000 ran behind me as we tried to arrest his friend, so I pointed my taser at him. I have no clue to this day what earned him that $5,000 but whatever.

I know you don't believe a word of what I just wrote, but it's 100% true, and my peace in life is that I walked away with a SICK pension after only 18.5 years, mostly because of people like the above who decided to hand me 200+ hours of overtime in honor of St. Floyd.

Hence, people like you can believe whatever you want.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 01-07-2024, 04:18 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Meh

I only worry about things I have control over

Same here . Everyone needs to really get on with the business of living .. we are only here such a short time . Arguing and stressing over something like this is futile . Vote .. its all you can really do

Old 01-07-2024, 08:37 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The city settled my single solitary lawsuit in 18.5 years. They paid $20,000 to one "plaintiff" and $5,000 to the other.

The guy who got $20,000 looked me dead in the eye and told me in the cells that he had broke his arm playing hockey two days earlier and attacked my cop because he needed it taken care of.

His buddy who got $5,000 ran behind me as we tried to arrest his friend, so I pointed my taser at him. I have no clue to this day what earned him that $5,000 but whatever.

I know you don't believe a word of what I just wrote, but it's 100% true, and my peace in life is that I walked away with a SICK pension after only 18.5 years, mostly because of people like the above who decided to hand me 200+ hours of overtime in honor of St. Floyd.

He had money to play hockey and still needed 20K? Hockey equipment gets expensive. Cheapest adult hockey stick on CCM is $38.99. I never heard of hockey players having to get into it wit the cops to pay for their injuries. Hockey players usually spit out their own teeth! Lol.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-07-2024, 09:03 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
If NYC was my wife, i'd have divorced her long ago for trying to bankrupt me.

Old 01-07-2024, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
If NYC was my wife, i'd have divorced her long ago for trying to bankrupt me.
If NYC was my wife I would renew my vows after 20 years

Idea for a new thread

Thanks

Old 01-08-2024, 06:26 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:

I have no reason not to believe you. I never claimed bogus law suites do not happen. I'm just pushing back on the belief shared here that EVERY law suite is a bogus claim, including this one. Does that sound fair to you? To just assume this is a money grab and the officers did no wrong?

Now that we all have cell phones bad police behavior is being exposed, we see bad officers crossing the line constantly now. This is one reason we are seeing more law suites, plaintiffs now have something to bring to the table in the form of video proof. Those bad officers should be held accountable but as we all know the "brotherhood" will prevent good officers from speaking up and being ostracized within their department. That needs to change.

Old 01-08-2024, 06:34 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Not in today's world - BLM got away with most everything - but dare to be in DC on J6 that's another story. This is Fergie - "If you are not unequivocally for the total annihilation of “Israel,” your soul is rotten." We should have given him an all expense one way ticket to Gaza.
It's almost as if you are completely unaware that there were over 10,000 people arrested at BLM protests after George Floyd was killed.

More lies from the right.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...20/6816074001/

Old 01-08-2024, 06:43 AM

There is no brotherhood in big city policing any more. Of course someone will defend every bad cop, but if people still believe it’s the 70’s and 80’s, they know very little about policing.

I started in 2002. There was very little “brotherhood” even then. Cops call IAB on other cops way more than the public does, even then. It’s a myth, mostly based on union support which is required by law. That the public thinks the union shouldn’t defend cops who have paid their dues for years is a weird thing to me.

And yes, we can agree that there are valid lawsuits. I highly doubt any stemming from the St. Floyd riots are, but that’s just me as someone who was there from start to finish.

Old 01-08-2024, 06:46 AM

Quote:
There is no brotherhood in big city policing any more. Of course someone will defend every bad cop, but if people still believe it’s the 70’s and 80’s, they know very little about policing.

I started in 2002. There was very little “brotherhood” even then. Cops call IAB on other cops way more than the public does, even then. It’s a myth, mostly based on union support which is required by law. That the public thinks the union shouldn’t defend cops who have paid their dues for years is a weird thing to me.
What do you think caused this lack of "brotherhood?"

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City