Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2024, 05:34 PM

31,931 posts, read 27,028,526 times

Advertisements

That's twice this stupid law has been ruled illegal.

Let's see if Adams goes for 0-3 by appealing to state's highest court.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/0...ional-00142525
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 07:31 PM

30,654 posts, read 18,263,167 times
Good. As bad as allowing any non-citizen the ability to vote in our elections (it is a complete slap in the face and insult to Americans) is, make no mistake that the real purpose of this law was to eventually expand it to include illegal aliens (as opposed to just lawful permanent residents). While I disagree that the law in question violates the state constitution (I can expand more if folks want), I think it clearly violates other sections of state law addressed in the ruling and, thus, must fall.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:47 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,331,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Good. As bad as allowing any non-citizen the ability to vote in our elections (it is a complete slap in the face and insult to Americans) is, make no mistake that the real purpose of this law was to eventually expand it to include illegal aliens (as opposed to just lawful permanent residents). While I disagree that the law in question violates the state constitution (I can expand more if folks want), I think it clearly violates other sections of state law addressed in the ruling and, thus, must fall.
Is there proof of the bolded, or is this just speculation?

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-21-2024, 08:27 PM

30,654 posts, read 18,263,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Is there proof of the bolded, or is this just speculation?
Just read the law and look at how Democrats talk about illegal immigrants and continue to allow our country (and the city) to be overrun by illegals.

Per the text of the law:

Quote:
Municipal voter. The term "municipal voter" means a person who is not a United States citizen on the date of the election on which he or she is voting, who is either a lawful permanent resident or authorized to work in the United States, who is a resident of New York city and will have been such a resident for 30 consecutive days or longer by the date of such election, who meets all qualifications for registering or pre-registering to vote under the election law, except for possessing United States citizenship, and who has registered or pre-registered to vote with the board of elections in the city of New York under this chapter.
https://legistar.council.nyc.gov/Leg...D-282C38DC4C62

Democrats simultaneously advocate that Biden allow speed up the process to allow "asylum seekers" (for the record, the United States ends up rejecting the great majority of asylum seekers' applications, this even with the Biden administration's work increase asylum application approvals Source: https://trac.syr.edu/immigration/reports/667/) to work in the U.S.

Quote:
New York City Mayor Adams, Gov. Kathy Hochul, Reps. Dan Goldman and Jerry Nadler joined labor and business leaders at a Brooklyn press conference to ask Biden for special federal work authorization for the tens of thousands of migrants who’ve arrived in the state since last year.
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/0...rmits-00098193

Quote:
New York Democrats on Capitol Hill are amping up pressure on the White House, demanding President Joe Biden take steps to help asylum seekers get to work faster.

This week, all New York Democrats in the U.S. House signed onto a new letter to Biden, demanding he grant, on a case-by-case basis, humanitarian parole to migrants who arrived while COVID-era rule Title 42 was on the books.

Reps. Gregory Meeks and Jerry Nadler led the letter, in which they argue that by granting parole, it would enable asylum seekers to get work authorization faster. That process currently can take more than six months.
https://ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/pol...n-for-migrants

No need to read in between the lines here. The law in question, should it be implemented, allows for people (making no distinction between those who illegal enter into the country or not) to register to vote if they are lawfully able to work. NY Democrat leadership, also supportive of the NYC law, subsequently go on record urging Biden to grant work authorization to illegals (nearly every "migrant" in NYC is illegal as they illegally entered into the country, their asylum seeker status notwithstanding)

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 02-21-2024 at 08:39 PM..

Old 02-21-2024, 09:44 PM

3,219 posts, read 1,685,243 times
They wouldn't approve work visas in an election year. The last thing they want is give the republicans what they want which is cheap labor and still blame the democrats for taking jobs away from middle class.

Republicans knows how to take advantage of migrant crisis for their own gains. Many MAGAs support banning illegals but they have no problems with having illegals take care of their lawns for cheap. Then continues to bash the dems for allows illegals to take jobs.

Old 02-22-2024, 01:54 AM

22,482 posts, read 12,018,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
They wouldn't approve work visas in an election year. The last thing they want is give the republicans what they want which is cheap labor and still blame the democrats for taking jobs away from middle class.

Republicans knows how to take advantage of migrant crisis for their own gains. Many MAGAs support banning illegals but they have no problems with having illegals take care of their lawns for cheap. Then continues to bash the dems for allows illegals to take jobs.
It isn't just republicans that hire illegals. Plenty of democrats hire them, too. Republicans don't have a monopoly when it comes to hiring illegals.

Old 02-22-2024, 02:42 AM

10,121 posts, read 14,998,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
They wouldn't approve work visas in an election year.
Illegal immigrants don’t need work visas to be “authorized workers.”

Many years ago during my university days for a summer I took what essentially was a door-to-door selling job. For many people that could be daunting, but for me it was excitibg because it forced to open up to people and get to know other places. It git to the point that I was making sales even to people in a bus stop while they waited for the bus. I mere minutes I went from not knowing them to having then sign up. Lol

Anyway, whenever I was sent to places like Mount Vernon and Yonkers, innevitably you will run into illegals. The way I noticed who was an illegal was because a social security is needed to finalize the sale and they didn’t have one. The way many got around that was using their tax ID which was given to them by the IRS. Until then I never heard of a tax ID. That way, despite they are illegals and most likely they work under-the-table, with a tax ID they still paid taxes. It always left me wondering how hard it would be for the government to spot illegals if it truly wanted to, because the IRS certainly didn’t have much trouble in finding and giving tax ID’s to illegals. It’s all about the bucks!

Anyway, the tax ID code was just like a social security number with the amount of digits and all. I wrote the tax ID on the part of the form (then it was forms, today they probably can enter them electronically via some handheld device) devoted to social security and not once did the form came back as invalid and hence void the sale.

I remember it was annoying that you would go through the entire sales pitch and the person had all the signs of being interested in buying it, then at the end they have no social security or tax ID. It got to the point that whenever I was sent to towns like those, my first question to everybody was if they had a social security or tax ID. Lol

Anyway, that job open my eyes to a lot of things I thought didn’t exist in the USA, good and bad. There were a few situations where I was suppose to pitch, but if they open the door and I would see behind them that their apartment literally have nothing (like one time a pregnant woman who herself had dirty clothes on, all I could see from the door was that her apartment had nothing but a flat screen TV on the wall and a dirty mattress on the floor) all I could think is that there are many people in developing countries that live better than that and they aren’t rich by any stretch of the imagination. Yet, here is her in one of the richest countries in the world living like that. I don’t even want to wonder what her diet was like or if the place was infested with rats. The crazy part is that I would never sell to those types of people, but when I told a coworker of what I had seen, many were eager for me to tell them the address of this place. I stopped telling coworkers because msny were going to those houses and signing them up, when they very know well they can’t afford it and will end up missing payments and such. They simply didn’t care, all they were seeing is the commission they will get drom the sale. Unbelivable!

I even had a coworker once said that he have increased the bill to many people that thought he was decreasing their bill. Then went on to say that increasing people’s bills will not cause them to fight with their spouses and other negative stuff. The guy was delusional. I quit the job shortly after that, which it was a good paying one. Some people have no morals.

Old 02-22-2024, 03:37 AM

16,113 posts, read 6,868,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Just read the law and look at how Democrats talk about illegal immigrants and continue to allow our country (and the city) to be overrun by illegals.

No need to read in between the lines here. The law in question, should it be implemented, allows for people (making no distinction between those who illegal enter into the country or not) to register to vote if they are lawfully able to work. NY Democrat leadership, also supportive of the NYC law, subsequently go on record urging Biden to grant work authorization to illegals (nearly every "migrant" in NYC is illegal as they illegally entered into the country, their asylum seeker status notwithstanding)

Just because you work here doesn't give you the right to vote.

Work here. Pay your taxes. Learn the laws of the country. Pass the Test. Become a citizen. Register to vote.
Not too much to ask.

Old 02-22-2024, 09:45 AM

21,953 posts, read 9,528,167 times
Let's see if Biden closes the border NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City