Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 06:38 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times

Advertisements

The eternal issue of tipping.

Cheapskate or sucker?

Has Gratuity Culture Reached a Tipping Point?
Paying extra for service has inspired rebellions, swivelling iPads, and irritation from Trotsky. Post-pandemic, the practice has entered a new stage.

Before screens, tipping, like a marriage proposal, was a private affair. Tips can reveal hidden values or the rumblings of the subconscious. A waitress’s breast size, for instance, correlates positively with tip size. “Mad Men”-era husbands tipped more when dining with someone else’s wife than with their own. The grief-inflected gratitude of the post-pandemic period introduced new tipping behaviors. Etiquette experts studied the so-called guilt-tip boom. The gratuity, like everything else, has gone contactless—the swivelling of the iPad. In the past three years, according to data from the payroll company Gusto, tips in bakeries and cafés are up forty-one per cent. Apparently, we now tip assistant sports coaches (up three hundred and sixty-seven per cent) and theatre-box-office staff (up a hundred and sixty-one per cent). Do you tip the cashier when all she’s done is ring up your salad? Don’t, and you’re a cheapskate. Do, and you’re a sucker.
When Leon Trotsky was living in the Bronx, eating his meals at a Jewish dairy restaurant, he refused to tip, and encouraged others to do the same. Soon he was having soup spilled on him.
One solution is to ban the tipped minimum wage. A gratuity is supposed to be an expression of gratitude, not a compulsory subsidy.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-tipping-point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2024, 07:18 PM

30,617 posts, read 18,198,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The eternal issue of tipping.

Cheapskate or sucker?

Has Gratuity Culture Reached a Tipping Point?
Paying extra for service has inspired rebellions, swivelling iPads, and irritation from Trotsky. Post-pandemic, the practice has entered a new stage.

Before screens, tipping, like a marriage proposal, was a private affair. Tips can reveal hidden values or the rumblings of the subconscious. A waitress’s breast size, for instance, correlates positively with tip size. “Mad Men”-era husbands tipped more when dining with someone else’s wife than with their own. The grief-inflected gratitude of the post-pandemic period introduced new tipping behaviors. Etiquette experts studied the so-called guilt-tip boom. The gratuity, like everything else, has gone contactless—the swivelling of the iPad. In the past three years, according to data from the payroll company Gusto, tips in bakeries and cafés are up forty-one per cent. Apparently, we now tip assistant sports coaches (up three hundred and sixty-seven per cent) and theatre-box-office staff (up a hundred and sixty-one per cent). Do you tip the cashier when all she’s done is ring up your salad? Don’t, and you’re a cheapskate. Do, and you’re a sucker.
When Leon Trotsky was living in the Bronx, eating his meals at a Jewish dairy restaurant, he refused to tip, and encouraged others to do the same. Soon he was having soup spilled on him.
One solution is to ban the tipped minimum wage. A gratuity is supposed to be an expression of gratitude, not a compulsory subsidy.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...-tipping-point
While I agree, and complain as they do about wages, I'd wager that most tipped restaurant minimum wage employees actually don't want this to happen. Why? Most of them are making out better than what the standard minimum wage as a general matter. Worst case, they are getting the prevailing minimum wage as their bosses have to ensure that under the law. Simply put, there's little upside to doing away with the tipped minimum wage for most who are under this system.

Old 02-28-2024, 04:12 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,834,833 times
Can just imagine Trotsky, stubbornly refusing to tip

As a waiter I would have been unnerved
if I would have mistaken him saying

I'm ordering you to the gulag

when he actually said

I'm ordering a plate of goulash.

Hahahaha...............

Old 03-04-2024, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
While I agree, and complain as they do about wages, I'd wager that most tipped restaurant minimum wage employees actually don't want this to happen. Why? Most of them are making out better than what the standard minimum wage as a general matter. Worst case, they are getting the prevailing minimum wage as their bosses have to ensure that under the law. Simply put, there's little upside to doing away with the tipped minimum wage for most who are under this system.
You may be right, but it seems to me there is such a broad range, from a teen in a small-town upstate diner to an elegant jacketed waiter serving haute cuisine in midtown, that I have no real idea.

Old 03-05-2024, 09:20 AM

323 posts, read 198,951 times
I am no cheapskate and am a good tipper. I feel these people deserve to make a decent living because they work hard. My daughter used to break her back as a waitress at a diner and the old people and teens were always stingy tippers. Elderly people would leave loose change for a tip and teens would leave her nothing or just a buck or two on some of her luckier days. The way I feel is if you cannot afford to at least leave a 20% tip you should not go out to eat and stay home. I always give between 20%-25% in tips. My mother brought me up to be kind to those who served us.

Cheap people who don't like to leave a decent tip **** me off. My 79 year old dad and step mom took me and my two daughters out to a restaurant and for 5 people he left only a $5 tip. He said a buck for each of us was more than generous. WTF?! I was mortified because the poor waiter worked his butt off to juggle all those plates running back and forth to bring whatever my dad and his wife kept demanding. This included my step mom sending her food back twice because it "wasn't piping hot" enough too her liking.

When he went to the restroom and was walking out after we ate, I ran back and threw down another $20 on the table. He went back to the table to get something he forgot and saw my $20 on top of his $5 and took it away and said "The waiter needs to go back to college to get a better job and $5 is enough for his skill set". I was pissed and found the waiter when my dad wasn't looking and handed him the extra $20. Cheapskates suck.

With the increase of inflation I haven't been to a sit down restaurant within the past year. What set me off was a small side order of fries at my local diner was $12! A bare bones breakfast for two was $48 not including tip. All I had was a bagel with bacon and eggs on it with a small side of hash browns and my friend ordered a small plate of pancakes, 2 eggs and toast. All she drank was a small orange juice and I had a coke. I can more than afford to eat out, but I do not feel like paying $26 for a lousy hamburger deluxe at a local greasy spoon diner. The heck with that. I can make my own breakfast, lunch and dinner for now on.

I also barely get fast food anymore which is actually much more healthier anyway. I only eat it like once or twice a year now because it got so expensive. I recently caved in and took my adult daughter to Mickey D's the other day and 6 regular hamburgers and two large fries cost $27.60 without drinks! The McDonald fries were $5 each! WTF? Biden Inflation sucks.

Last edited by dk1111; 03-05-2024 at 09:47 AM..

Old 03-06-2024, 10:13 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,073,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post
I am no cheapskate and am a good tipper. I feel these people deserve to make a decent living because they work hard. My daughter used to break her back as a waitress at a diner and the old people and teens were always stingy tippers. Elderly people would leave loose change for a tip and teens would leave her nothing or just a buck or two on some of her luckier days. The way I feel is if you cannot afford to at least leave a 20% tip you should not go out to eat and stay home. I always give between 20%-25% in tips. My mother brought me up to be kind to those who served us.

Cheap people who don't like to leave a decent tip **** me off. My 79 year old dad and step mom took me and my two daughters out to a restaurant and for 5 people he left only a $5 tip. He said a buck for each of us was more than generous. WTF?! I was mortified because the poor waiter worked his butt off to juggle all those plates running back and forth to bring whatever my dad and his wife kept demanding. This included my step mom sending her food back twice because it "wasn't piping hot" enough too her liking.

When he went to the restroom and was walking out after we ate, I ran back and threw down another $20 on the table. He went back to the table to get something he forgot and saw my $20 on top of his $5 and took it away and said "The waiter needs to go back to college to get a better job and $5 is enough for his skill set". I was pissed and found the waiter when my dad wasn't looking and handed him the extra $20. Cheapskates suck.

With the increase of inflation I haven't been to a sit down restaurant within the past year. What set me off was a small side order of fries at my local diner was $12! A bare bones breakfast for two was $48 not including tip. All I had was a bagel with bacon and eggs on it with a small side of hash browns and my friend ordered a small plate of pancakes, 2 eggs and toast. All she drank was a small orange juice and I had a coke. I can more than afford to eat out, but I do not feel like paying $26 for a lousy hamburger deluxe at a local greasy spoon diner. The heck with that. I can make my own breakfast, lunch and dinner for now on.

I also barely get fast food anymore which is actually much more healthier anyway. I only eat it like once or twice a year now because it got so expensive. I recently caved in and took my adult daughter to Mickey D's the other day and 6 regular hamburgers and two large fries cost $27.60 without drinks! The McDonald fries were $5 each! WTF? Biden Inflation sucks.
tl;dr-
You hate cheapskates but you are becoming a cheapskate.

I see waiters as tipped employees who ultimately shouldn't be paid by restaurants at all. They are subcontrators working essentially on commission. If they remain in that category I'm glad to contribute 20-25% on a good check.

If they also want standard minium wage ($15+) ontop of that, the role of tipping should be revisited.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:14 PM

92 posts, read 58,082 times
I'm more annoyed at the prevalence of pre configured percentages, in some places the options start at 30% and go up from there and all the person did was ring up the order and go back to playing on their phone.

Old 03-11-2024, 10:20 PM

153 posts, read 83,853 times
I love when people intellectualize and/or romanticize their stinginess.

Old 03-13-2024, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk1111 View Post

I think we'd all agree that everyone deserves to make a decent living, but I think that each person has to choose the path to that. It was a bad bargain for serving people to be exempt from minimum wage, but they all know that going in, and have the option of progressing to a better-quality restaurant or getting training or schooling from someone else.

Most people tip by percentage, not that flat $5 of your father, and it was always pointed out to me that tips rise as inflation rises, by percentage.

Old 03-14-2024, 11:54 AM

5,665 posts, read 2,605,106 times
I'm proud of myself. I ordered pick up on an app. They had tip amount included, as high as 22% and low 15%. I changed it to no tip. I'm sick of paying tips for picking up essentially fast food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City