Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2024, 05:05 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

There's an American Masters episode on PBS - and they're usually excellent - on our own Pat Moynihan, which I fear will make some weep in frustration, since he seems so great in comparison with the people we get today. Interesting background, too.

Moynihan
Premiere: 3/29/2024
The life and legacy of former U.S. Senator and diplomat Daniel Patrick Moynihan.
https://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmas...mentary/31511/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 08:17 PM

2,609 posts, read 1,205,579 times
Good stuff, I know that last name but not much of the history behind it. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-31-2024, 05:48 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I remember him. And of course the Penn Station/Post Office is named after him. I also saw the documentary. It was excellent.

Old 03-31-2024, 06:41 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
Thanks for the reference to the program. In 1990 (I believe) I was at the downtown campus at SUNY Albany when I noticed several people all moving into a small reception area. I saw a fellow student who grabbed my arm and told me to hustle with her inside. Within a few moments I realized all of the tv stations had shone up and there was a large crowd developing outside the room. I was about twenty feet from the lectern when Moynihan walked in and gave this powerful speech that seemed to be completely off the cuff, funny, full of wit, yet pointed and meaningful.

Thirty-four years later, I don’t recall the subject of the speech, but I do remember the incredible charisma the man had.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:17 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Daniel Patrick Moynihan was a man who worked with Democrats and Republicans and was ultimately reviled by both parties for it.

He dedicated his life to improving the lives of American impoverished families and was castigated for it during his lifetime.

Ultimately, many of his proposals were adopted with new names and new politicians taking credit for his ideas.

He understood evil and injustice and worked tirelessly to rid the world of both.

He was outspoken when politicians preferred quiet deals concocted privately.

He wrote painstakingly researched proposals and position papers for government officials that were leaked to the press in order to control the narrative away from his ideas.

He proposed a minimum living wage for working families.

He proposed equality of outcomes for historically denied peoples.

A true believer in Roosevelt's New Deal, he felt that government could be the solution to many problems.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:15 AM

2,437 posts, read 1,212,637 times
Probably the last sane Democrat NY has had.

Old 04-01-2024, 10:00 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Most politicians in the past were more rational than the woke politicians today we get like AOC. Who is so out of line on so many topics but she's representing people who are woke.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:33 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Most politicians in the past were more rational than the woke politicians today we get like AOC. Who is so out of line on so many topics but she's representing people who are woke.
Even current politicians weren't that radical 10 or 20 years ago if you look at things Biden, Obama, and Schumer said back then. Now they have to support the radical agenda or they won't get elected or re-elected.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:12 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Daniel Patrick Moynihan was a man who worked with Democrats and Republicans and was ultimately reviled by both parties for it.

He dedicated his life to improving the lives of American impoverished families and was castigated for it during his lifetime.
Ultimately, many of his proposals were adopted with new names and new politicians taking credit for his ideas.
He understood evil and injustice and worked tirelessly to rid the world of both.
He was outspoken when politicians preferred quiet deals concocted privately.
He wrote painstakingly researched proposals and position papers for government officials that were leaked to the press in order to control the narrative away from his ideas.
He proposed a minimum living wage for working families.
He proposed equality of outcomes for historically denied peoples.
A true believer in Roosevelt's New Deal, he felt that government could be the solution to many problems.
It's fascinating that he was so "progressive" in the best sense of being constructively forward-thinking, and that some of his ideas finally made it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City