Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:40 PM

101 posts, read 300,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
there is no place like NY. Add another New Yorker looking to move back home. We came here for husband's job, not the weather. I want to retire back to NY and never again set foot in Florida.
here here. My sister lives in Naples and I lived there for 2 years. Now that town is way too HOT for me - I'm talking about the weather. No trees to park under either! My dad retired in Bonita by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
If money is not the issue, why not stay where you are and spend the winters as a "Snowbird," like we do. We did Florida for 15 years, then we get tired of it, and discovered California, which we did for another 20 years. We fell in love with Fallbrook. It is a small town in Northen San Diego County, and we came very close to purchasing a house on top of a mountain. The most beautiful scenery God has ever created, in one-acre of land, and beautiful flowers everywhere. I would say as close to paradise as anyone can get. We discovered that the Head of the White Aryan Nation lives there, even today, so we decided against it. The California fires wiped out that house two years' ago. We then concentrated on Palm Desert, California. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. The temperatures hit 120 degrees. And even though is mostly dry heat, it is still very, very, very hot. We did all 50 states, including many countries abroad, and many of the caribbean islands. All these islands are the same, palm trees and oceans. Washington State, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico. These states are exceedingly beautiful, but, we New Yorkers fall into a different category. WE DEMAND A LOT, because we are used to getting everything, NOW! AND AS CRUEL as this city may seem to many, IT HAS A LOT, LOT, TO OFFER, that one will not find in any other state. We usually travel by spending about two months' in each city, sometimes renting a house or a condo, but not living among the tourists, because they know as much as we do. We live among the people at large that live there, this way we intermingle with the general population, and observe their customs, and observe, and observe. Then we analyze the pros and cons versus leaving NYC. AND NYC always wins. We went to Maui, Hawaii, and spent two months' in a condo in front of the ocean. Beautiful, but after a while, "Aloha," everyday got to be too much. We have met many ex-New Yorkers, some will admit to you they are happy that they left NY, but the majority, miss NY dearly, and it is reflected in their faces. We have spent time in those 55 plus places with lots of golf, and walls all over, but that gets tiresome and boring after a while, too, seeing the same faces all the time. Someone once said, I cannot remember who, that "Paradise is within us," and that is so true, for us it is right here in NYC! There is no need to go anywhere else, except to visit. Yes, we will continue to leave here for the winter, and come right back! New Yorkers are used to a multitude of CHOICES, and many of these states, towns, or cities do not offer them. For example: One can go to a supermarket or drug store, and find only so much of one brand or product. Here the choices are limitless. Also, many of these cities/states/towns' dwellers do not like outsiders. So one has to be very careful and do extensive research and observations beyond the monetary aspect. Regardless of your decision, the best of luck to you and yours,

wow -you are impressive..you have made relocation a science....and I agree...my reticence about moving back to NYC is twofold...the size of dwelling I can afford..I can't afford the large apartment I left 12 years ago..
and the last apartment I had in CHelsea must be on the moon by now....and I ma not quite ready to start selling 3200 sq ft of my beautiful furniture. The second issue is as I get older I am not so sure I want to deal once again with the dirt noise pollution and high taxes in NYS..I know you get what you pay for..but I lived on and off in NYC for twenty years with two detours druing that time to houses in CT..and yes, after five years in a house, my husband was more than ready to say goodbye to metro north and I was ready to resume my "creative life" in advertising after doing the " mayberry" life in Ct.
I was never able to have it all as they say...I too have tried the west coast - Los Angeles area and didn't fit in at all - I was too New York they told me....I moved to TN recently buying into the "secondary cities" renaissance in Nashville...hmmm..let's not go there shall we....suffice to say, I am a duck out of water here times ten.....the tradeoff was not worth it..so we are thinking about our choices...my husband is a native new yorker...so it's not staying put for us but moving back....A smaller version of NYC would be best for us...I really don't want to incur the high cost of living there...recent trips back were frustrated with the 'Used to be a better place" than it is now syndrome....and I do feel that NYC was much better years ago...can't say I care for the way much of it has evolved -ie playground for the rich, etc....

I shall continue my quest....perhaps a Euopean city?

GReat posts and thanks to all...stay in place retirement looks like the choice for many NYCer's....moving is tough - can understand it...

thanks again 12buttons

Old 07-17-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
wow -you are impressive..you have made relocation a science....and I agree...my reticence about moving back to NYC is twofold...the size of dwelling I can afford..I can't afford the large apartment I left 12 years ago..
and the last apartment I had in CHelsea must be on the moon by now....and I ma not quite ready to start selling 3200 sq ft of my beautiful furniture. The second issue is as I get older I am not so sure I want to deal once again with the dirt noise pollution and high taxes in NYS..I know you get what you pay for..but I lived on and off in NYC for twenty years with two detours druing that time to houses in CT..and yes, after five years in a house, my husband was more than ready to say goodbye to metro north and I was ready to resume my "creative life" in advertising after doing the " mayberry" life in Ct.
I was never able to have it all as they say...I too have tried the west coast - Los Angeles area and didn't fit in at all - I was too New York they told me....I moved to TN recently buying into the "secondary cities" renaissance in Nashville...hmmm..let's not go there shall we....suffice to say, I am a duck out of water here times ten.....the tradeoff was not worth it..so we are thinking about our choices...my husband is a native new yorker...so it's not staying put for us but moving back....A smaller version of NYC would be best for us...I really don't want to incur the high cost of living there...recent trips back were frustrated with the 'Used to be a better place" than it is now syndrome....and I do feel that NYC was much better years ago...can't say I care for the way much of it has evolved -ie playground for the rich, etc....

I shall continue my quest....perhaps a Euopean city?

GReat posts and thanks to all...stay in place retirement looks like the choice for many NYCer's....moving is tough - can understand it...

thanks again 12buttons
I wanted to add that a pied a terre in Manhattan might work..and a house elsewhere...I do love a lot about NYC cultural access and didn't want to leave the impression I didn't but I know I can't have a steady diet of it due to the cold winters and lack of space....snow bird house would work..thanks

Old 07-17-2008, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccos View Post
It makes sense to us. My dad retired in the middle of a hot desolate golf course. When he couldn't drive anymore, he was housebound. Nowhere to walk, not even for a paper or cup of coffee.
I want the vibrancy of people around me. I don't want to rely on a car anymore. Sure we could go to a planned community where everything is there but . . but . . they're full of . . well . . old people!
My husband is 64 but I"m just 56. We looked everywhere too. Portland, SF, Eugene (relatives), Boulder, etc.
I figure if my knees give out and I can't walk the subway steps anymore, well there's always the bus and even it lowers for you if you need it to.
I see some ancient people with their walkers/carts slowly making there way home from the grocery.
Plus we figure EVERYONE will come visit.
And we have a great jumping off point with the airports nearby.
Now if he'll just extract himself from his firm. . .
do you live right in Manhattan? If so how big is your place there?

size that I can afford is an issue...I have only lived in Manhattan mid town.

Old 02-01-2020, 11:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,059 times
Question Retiring in or out of NYC

My husband and I are dyed-in-the-wool New Yorkers and have watched Manhattan get oh so very expensive. We currently live in an affordable apartment in the Marble Hill section of the Bronx. It reminds me very much of the upper west side (above 96 Street) 30 years ago. We love it. I don't think we can afford to keep an apartment and a house somewhere else for winters, though. We're in our 60s now, and I figure we can cruise for another 15 years or so before we may have to stop working and relocate. I'm thinking Greece, Portugal, Spain. Does anyone have any advice? We already know we would not be happy living further west or south of Jersey City. No cars, please.

Old 02-01-2020, 12:33 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,600,729 times
Nobody cares where you're from. Nobody cares one way or another that you're from New York, so move wherever you are most comfortable.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:46 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by way-way-uptown View Post
My husband and I are dyed-in-the-wool New Yorkers and have watched Manhattan get oh so very expensive. We currently live in an affordable apartment in the Marble Hill section of the Bronx. It reminds me very much of the upper west side (above 96 Street) 30 years ago. We love it. I don't think we can afford to keep an apartment and a house somewhere else for winters, though. We're in our 60s now, and I figure we can cruise for another 15 years or so before we may have to stop working and relocate. I'm thinking Greece, Portugal, Spain. Does anyone have any advice? We already know we would not be happy living further west or south of Jersey City. No cars, please.
I've heard nice things about Marble Hill.

My husband would like to return to NYC.

It is such a dilemma. There is no place in the US like NYC, but real estate prices and taxes are out of control. NYC is unique, more like Europe, than any place I've lived - Boston or Austin.

We are planning on living in Italy and because my husband's father was an Italian citizenship, he can apply for citizenship. However, if we have grandchildren, all bets are off. I would want to live close by.

This is a daily discussion in my house.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 02-01-2020 at 04:25 PM..

Old 02-01-2020, 04:07 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
Do what NYers have done for generations. Get a condo in Boca.

Old 02-01-2020, 06:12 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Opinion:
Nice posts. No right or wrong answer.
As a retiree please always consider as you are aging ,maintaining your independence for as long as possible.
Moving to an area that supports local transit is by far my most important prerequisite. I will not consider any destination
lacking there of. As my ability to drive will one day expire I can continue on with local bus transit as an extension of my independence.
I will still be able to access nearby amenities such as shopping ,banking, postal services doctors and even stop in for a beer at the local pub.
If the time comes I become home bound it won't be because of the extreme heat or cold. It will be because my body and mind have failed me.
So as a priority I suggest all interested in picking up and leaving New York for your retirement destination to seriously consider the availability
of local transit as location priority alongside the wonderful enjoyment of all 4 seasons. Everything else will fall into place.

I have researched PA and have visited Scranton,Harrisburg.
I have researched DE and have visited Willmington, and Newark.
Transit systems, decent population,4 seasons, retiree friendly,and plenty of amenities.
Best wishes to all.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:37 PM

565 posts, read 361,965 times
Just about every white and/or hispanic life long NYer I know wants out or has left. The one's over 40 anyway.

Destinations where NYers are piling up seem to be: Florida as usual, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Texas, Las Vegas. I even have an ex gf that just moved to Arkansas with her hubby. My old soccer coach from high school just moved to Kentucky on a nice big farm.

However I have my heart set on Orange County, which is an hour south of LA in liberal crappy California. My cousin moved out to Huntington Beach back in the mid 80s and never returned. After spending a week driving around all of OC last Summer, I now know why. It's literally the most beautiful part of this country, has great temps with low/medium humidity, has both ocean and mountains and is close enough to LA for liberal filth like NYC if you need your fix, which we all do time to time. People are nice, roads are perfect, stores are all in English. You feel like you still live in America.

I'm 47, so plan B will be back to my family farm in Ireland but that will be in my 60s after retirement. My family will have come full circle. Irish immigrants chasing the American dream in the 1960s to escaping the American liberal nightmare in 2040.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City