Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2008, 01:45 PM

12 posts, read 24,804 times

Advertisements

...but I'm trying to reconcile two broad wants in choosing a place to live. I work from home and living in a "happening" urban area unquestionably improves my daily quality of life (I'm currently staying in the East Village, though I understand there's no where quite like here). Yet, I kind of have this dream of living in a relatively quiet place with dedicated parking. I don't drive all that often, but I like the idea of keeping my car and not having to deal with whatever issues I may encounter with off-street parking.

I'd like to pay $1650 a month or so -- what I was paying in Cambridge, Mass. before I left there last summer. I guess my question is, are there places within easy striking distance of Manhattan -- say, within a 45-minute commute -- where I can maintain a relatively quiet lifestyle but still spend half-days in coffee shops, parks, etc. in the more bustling areas? Or should I give up on that particular idea and look in areas like Washington Heights, etc.?

Before anyone chastises me for being totally unrealistic, I realize that I am. I just wanted to see what thoughts folks have about the compromises one might make to live in or very close to NYC. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2008, 01:53 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,582 times
Forest Hills, probably, if Austin st is bustling enough for you.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:41 PM

2 posts, read 5,254 times
Do you need to be close to NYC? I think those wants you describe are much easier to achieve in other parts of the country.

What about Chicago? $1650 would get you a great place there with parking in a close in urban neighborhood...

I'm sure you know $1650 is not going to get you a lot in NYC....

Old 07-20-2008, 08:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Try Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Check to see how much it costs to rent a parking space (my guess is $200-$300 a month). Then work backwards - $1650 minus $300 is $1350, which is a realistic budget for a one-bedroom apt in Bay Ridge. There are lots of threads on here about this area. Look for any thread Jeffcon0 has posted in.

Google maps has practically the whole city mapped out with street view so you can see what any neighborhood looks like. just plot out the intersection where the train stops in Bay Ridge like 86th St and 4th Ave.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:14 AM

12 posts, read 24,804 times
Thanks, guys, that's very helpful. Travellerguy, I have indeed thought about elsewhere in the country -- it'd certainly be more affordable -- but I think I'm a Northeasterner at heart, and I don't necessarily want to go back to Boston.

I was also wondering about communities outside the city. Does anyone have any recommendations for towns within 45 minutes or so of the city -- whether in NJ or NY -- that are small and somewhat walkable (with a walkable downtown area with a few amenities such as coffee shops etc.) but are still accessible to the city? And is it at all possible for me to rent a small house in a relatively nice area for less than, say, $1800?

As you can tell, I kind of want it both ways. ;-)

Last edited by vertigbo; 07-23-2008 at 11:34 AM..

Old 07-23-2008, 01:18 PM

214 posts, read 1,005,060 times
How about Philadelphia? $1650 would get you a very nice 1-BR in Rittenhouse Square. If you miss NYC, you can easily take the train or the $1 Bolt Bus.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:22 PM

38 posts, read 124,335 times
Tarrytown?

Old 07-23-2008, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,254 times
Yeah, I think Philly is a good idea though in cool areas you are still looking at 1 bedroom apartments for that price range and I think the city and state income tax are higher than NYC!

There are other towns like Red Bank, NJ that are closer in but you are looking at garden apartments in that price range, especially close to walkable amenities. To have a house, a parking place, walking distance to cool "east village" type places, in that price range, I think you need to get out of the Northeast...Portland, OR would be perfect!

Otherwise...

If you love Manhattan why not just stay there? Ditch the car and up your price range? If you have a $300 car payment, plus a $200 insurance bill, a $200 ez-pass bill, a $300 gas bill, a $400 parking bill, that up's your price range to over $3,000...enough to get a decent, quiet one bed in Manhattan.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:41 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
$200/month for car insurance??? I don't think so! NOt in Manhattan. And parking STARTS in most areas at $400/month and it goes WAY up from that starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City