Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 PM

675 posts, read 1,256,934 times

Advertisements

When Chicago can match the dramatic drop in crime then you can talk. Until then you should focus on why after tearing down all those projects bodies are still dropping left and right out their and with all our projects our crime rate is at a 40 year low. Figure it out homie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 10:48 PM

4 posts, read 20,406 times
Default Give me a break

Yes, that's a great idea. Let's force ALL the poor people to move out of Manhattan, so the developers can build even more ultra-expensive condos. If you don't want to live near any poor people, go move to a gated community in the suburbs. I live a few blocks away from public housing and have no problem with it all.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:49 AM

838 posts, read 1,212,335 times
Although I personally wouldn't want to live in Manhattan (just by preference) I do believe the projects and affordable housing should be moved to ...I actually live in Queens. Well, you may ask why....the thing is..as mean as it sounds...why should someone who lives off of welfare, speaking figuratively, get to live in the same neighborhood as someone who busted their ass thru college and climbed up the corporate latter to make six figures and wants to live in Manhattan? (THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE as we know both ways can be different). Basically, if I am a millionaire...why should someone who pops out 5 kids be given a "fair" ticket to live in my neighborhood for 1/10 of what I pay?
The only case that I think it's acceptable for someone to be given a little extra fair treatment is when they are severely disabled. This is understandable. But the few projects I have been to are full of perfectly capable people who have decided to do nothing with their lives or who continue to squeeze out babies that they can't afford in the first place. Why do we reward this with "fair housing"?
I'm 22 and I bust my ass working and putting myself thru college and I have YET to receive any "affordable housing" or welfare tickets. I have to go out there and comb thru the real estate like everyone else to find something that fits my budget. If housing isn't affordable for you somewhere, then you shouldn't be living there! You just can't afford it. Stop asking for free handouts. Thanks the end

Old 08-08-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwayjoey View Post
Yes, that's a great idea. Let's force ALL the poor people to move out of Manhattan, so the developers can build even more ultra-expensive condos. If you don't want to live near any poor people, go move to a gated community in the suburbs. I live a few blocks away from public housing and have no problem with it all.
It's one thing to be poor and one thing to live off of the government...which I have seen MANY doing. Now, assuming that there are a few that are not living off of the government and DESPERATELY need the help....how long does it last? Why do people make the projects their permanent home?
Anyway...off topic. I think that the Manhattan developers should give the project-dwellers about 1-2 years to get their stuff together before building a nicer condo. Although I do not live in Manhattan, I agree with the Manhattanites that feel there shouldn't be so much public/project housing. It's such a free handout. People have to earn a living to live somewhere nice. I don't live in Manhattan and you don't see me complaining about it.
Although I make a decent living, I don't make millions...so I don't expect to have the same luxuries as someone who does. I find my luxuries within Queens and that is AOK. No biggie. Bye bye projects. Bye bye crime-causing wild teenagers. Bye bye "fairness".

Old 08-08-2008, 04:15 AM

1,867 posts, read 4,079,791 times
I think its great that a city of this caliber has so much low income housing. Most people in the projects work and live their lives just like you and me. I personally know some wonderful, hardworking people that live there. Like my H's 78 grandmother who has worked for the NY school system for 40 decades and STILL works everyday during the school year. To respond to page3000's question, the reason my H's grandmother still lives in the projects is because that is all she can afford from her job in the NY school. If they paid her more, perhaps she could afford to live somewhere else. But we do need people like her to work for the wages that they're paid, yet we all know how expensive the rent is here. So if you do the math you will see why the working poor/low income will continue to need subsidized housing. If the pay stays low forever, then yes, they will need to live there forever. The other option is to pay people a wage on which they can live without subsidizing.

Dont despise people just because they're poor. That seems to still be politically correct for some odd reason, while thankfully racism must at least be somewhat hidden these days.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:18 AM

I definitely don't despise people who are people. Your grandmother is an exception...so are disabled people etc. But I just can't STAND seeing people who abuse the system and unfortunately there are a lot of them so it gives a bad name to the ones who really need and deserve the help.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:00 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,986,761 times
A lot of people don't mind living in the projects. If they don't make that much money, it's fine with them to live in an extremely cheap apartment. Not all people who live in the projects are crime children.. I have two friends who live in Ravenswood, and they go to NYU, and Georgetown, respectively.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:50 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by page3000 View Post
Although I personally wouldn't want to live in Manhattan (just by preference) I do believe the projects and affordable housing should be moved to ...I actually live in Queens. Well, you may ask why....the thing is..as mean as it sounds...why should someone who lives off of welfare, speaking figuratively, get to live in the same neighborhood as someone who busted their ass thru college and climbed up the corporate latter to make six figures and wants to live in Manhattan? (THIS IS JUST AN EXAMPLE as we know both ways can be different). Basically, if I am a millionaire...why should someone who pops out 5 kids be given a "fair" ticket to live in my neighborhood for 1/10 of what I pay?
The only case that I think it's acceptable for someone to be given a little extra fair treatment is when they are severely disabled. This is understandable. But the few projects I have been to are full of perfectly capable people who have decided to do nothing with their lives or who continue to squeeze out babies that they can't afford in the first place. Why do we reward this with "fair housing"?
I'm 22 and I bust my ass working and putting myself thru college and I have YET to receive any "affordable housing" or welfare tickets. I have to go out there and comb thru the real estate like everyone else to find something that fits my budget. If housing isn't affordable for you somewhere, then you shouldn't be living there! You just can't afford it. Stop asking for free handouts. Thanks the end
you know that you can apply for public housing too right? and by the way, welfare and public housing are not synonymous, you dont have to be on welfare to live in public housing. and finally, look at where the projects are in manhattan. with the exception of isaacs houses (east 92nd and 1st ave), smith houses (across the street from 1 police plaza), and amsterdam houses (by lincoln center) the rest of them are in "transitional" areas...its not like they're in sutton place or fifth avenue.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-08-2008, 11:25 AM

I have never applied for public housing. I think a lot of us have been poor at one time or another....and believe me..I have been there...where I literally had potatoes to live on for the rest of the month and not even enough change to scratch up for the bus...so I walked miles everywhere..this is in San Diego and Portland, Maine...not as easy to get around there...but instead..I toughed it out and stuggled my behind off.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:06 PM

730 posts, read 2,889,045 times
I really don't get the whole public housing thing. There are people who really need it and people who really abuse it.

If you are working full time and don't make enough money to live in NYC then move somewhere else or get a different job.

If you are not working, stop having babies.

I know a guy who works in the NYC Carpenters Union and lives in the PJ's in Queens. He says he is never moving out cause the rent is so cheap, so instead he chooses to work only part time and go fishing the rest of the time.

I also know quite a few NYC cops who have to commute over 2 hours every day to get to work because they don't make enough $$ to live in the NYC area with their families.

I feel like the whol system needs beter monitoring so people like the carpenter are found out and people who really need it can move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City