Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 11:55 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,966 times

Advertisements

Not a malicious topic by any means (so please don't make it one), just meant for fun.

Seeing as how I've lived in this great city my whole life, you tend to catch some nuances here and there. One thing great about New Yorkers is that we can spot a tourist from 50 paces. Without stating obvious ones, I'll just show a few characteristics and feel free to add on.

- Pretty much if you see someone face buried in a map - some while crossing the street sometimes. They cross, get to the other side, look up at the sign, face goes back to the map. Also, in the subway, they're intently studying the subway map in their hand -- even though they're standing right in front of the map on the platform.

- Here's one amazes me to no end. Is this some NYC tourism law that requires them to wear sun visors?

- Looking up while walking. It's pretty comedic to see - people taking interest in the garguantuan structures of our metropolis in awe. And possibly tripping on a crack and causing an even more comedic sight.

- Taking pictures of EVERYTHING. It's one thing to take pictures if you're at Empire State or Times Square or something - but, and this story is 100% true, why would you take a picture of your friends getting out of a cab? I sw this one lady jump out the front passenger seat of a cab near the Flatiron Building, she rushes around, starts taking pictures, waits for (I presume) her husband and son to open the door and takes MORE pictures.

These are all the ones I have for now. Anybody else care to share what's in their "Tourist Radar"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2008, 12:04 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Default Lol

Out of Town couple just fell victim to ketchup scam at McDonald's near Rockefeller Center. Husband was unwittingly sprayed by crook masquerading as nice guy out to help by taking husband's jacket containing wallet and pretending to be concerned. As crook heads to door with husband's wardrobe, instead of wife squirting him back, she whips out a digital and says "cheese" to fleeing villain.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
^^^ lol

how about the ones standing at the street corner waiting to cross the street when there's not car in sight. this gets me every time..

and sometimes the light says "WALK"

Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
wearing an I <3 NY shirt

Old 08-14-2008, 12:22 PM

Default staring at an Amtrak Upstate schedule for the last..

train to Queens.

oh, sorry. that wasn't a tourist, just another Manhattanite.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:37 PM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,141 times
Standing 4 or more across the sidewalk, holding hands and blocking people from getting by. Then get annoyed because they try to get through the group.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:44 PM

..thinks park avenue is where you park your vehicle

..actually believes the MTA subway announcements will explain what's happening

.....opens up to cabbie at jfk telling him how nice it is to visit the big apple for first time and can cabbie show/explain the landmarks on way to hotel in manhattan. cabbie shows em bronx zoo, throgs neck bridge, staten island landfill, brooklyn museum "on way" to waldorf astoria.

...waiters usually punch out when they arrive

....think they need a whip first to ride one of those rickshaws popping up all over the city where there's a guy pedaling a bike.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:48 PM

128 posts, read 457,366 times
You know those guys that hang out on the street and hand out flyers for whatever(lunch specials, drink specials, xxx etc)? Do only tourists take those? When I visited NY when I was young I remember taking several, probably thinking that's what everybody does.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:57 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
A few things that are dead giveaways,

-They look very lost
-They are on those goofy double decker buses
-They stop and look up at the buildings while walking
-Taking pictures on the Subway
-They stare at you or a native New Yorker in general like they have never seen someone like you ever
-They are amazed by the times square area
-They are happier than most New Yorkers
-Walking around with a map
-Have a huge backpack strapped to their back
-If they do any of the above, and happen to be a couple or a group and they talk in a foreign language

Old 08-14-2008, 01:06 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,653 times
You know those guys that hang out on the street and hand out flyers for whatever(lunch specials, drink specials, xxx etc)? Do only tourists take those? When I visited NY when I was young I remember taking several, probably thinking that's what everybody does.

I used to take them just to be kind (because I feel so sorry for those guys). But then I started feeling guilty about enviromental concerns (taking paper knowing I would just throw it away). So, now I look these guys and gals in the eye, smile and say "No, thank you". I cannot tell you how many times they smile back with gratitude for not just walking by and ignoring them like they don't even exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City