Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2007, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,000 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

First of all, thanks in advance for all of the quality info on this forum, you guys know your stuff and it's really helpful.

More specifically - I would like to ask for your opinions please!

My boyfriend and I - we are both writers, I am also a musician - are saving up like mad to move out East in the fall (of 2007).

We are fully aware that we can't live right in Manhattan or any of the hipster neighbourhoods surrounding - and we're also trying to keep some semblance of small town so we don't go into shock when we move (we currently live in a small lakeside town in North Illinois - I know, I know "midwesterners") SO -

We are trying to find a town in which we can rent a 1 or 2 bedroom place (rooms can be tiny, we just need individual space so we can each work on our creative projects) for around $800-1000 or under... (we are both super-clean, responsible, middle-of-the-road credit but terrific references, especially from our landlords)...

A town on or very accessible to Metro-North (walkable/bikeable would be great!), preferably 30-40 minutes or under to the Big City...

And a town that is small-town-ish in a nice way, green trees, parks and whatnot, that is also pleasant for two late-20-something starving artists to live in WITHOUT having to run to the city all the time (for instance, has perhaps a few coffeehouses, good grocery store, a few cute shops/bookstores, a good library, etc.)... but near enough to the city so if we have writing workshops, gigs, etc., it's not a crazy-long commute...

It's a tall order, I know.

But if you guys have suggestions, it would be MOST appreciated - it's so hard to judge the cities from this far away... we've seen (in person) Tarrytown, Katonah, and Ridgefield (although they might be a bit far away from NYC proper?) and liked them, but we still aren't sure if they're too sleepy for us or not...

Okay, I will stop rambling, and we'll eagerly await your responses! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 10:41 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
I can think of some places where you can rent a 1-2br for $800-$1000 in New Jersey or the Bronx. Accomplishing this in Westchester might be more difficult.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:51 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,877 times
You would love the towns along the Hudson River. Peekskill, for example, is been marketed as an artists town after many years of decline. Croton-on-Hudson is beautiful. Also Ossining, Tarrytown. They're not cheap areas, but you can find some 1-bedroom apartments for 1,000-1,200, and probably less (but not much less).

If not, try the other side of the Hudson: Palisades, Piermont, Nyack. It is as beautiful as the famous other side, but more affordable.

Don't throw out New York City as a possibility, though. A nice apartment in Harlem or Washington Heights will probably cost you as much as one in a small town. Some areas of Brooklyn and Queens (Long Island City is very artistic) are affordable too, if not in the $1000 range.

Old 01-31-2007, 08:38 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
There are many options, but with your budget and wanting to be on the train-line, I'd recommend Yonkers. Yonkers is a blue colour, diverse community, on the Metro-North and Amtrak lines and the first stop from Manhattan.

White Plains might also work.

Both are cities.

It will be very difficult to get beautiful countryside and inexpensive in some of the places recommended, although there is always a chance you might find a great rental in a two family or carriage house.

Why not put an ad on craigslist. You might get some good offers.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 8,000 times
Default Starving artists thank you!

Thanks, everyone!
Wow, such quick responses!
If anyone else has more ideas, we're more than happy to hear them, and we'll definitely make note of the suggestions already here. Much appreciated!

Old 01-31-2007, 02:44 PM

100 posts, read 628,950 times
Tarrytown...I think the village would suit you. It is a quaint little town on the Hudson with a lot of cafes and this old school 20s feel. It has a lot of apartments that are available there. And it is on the Metro-NOrth Hudson line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City