Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Excluding Manhattan, which NYC burrough do you like the most?
Brooklyn 21 58.33%
Bronx 3 8.33%
Queens 10 27.78%
Staten Island 2 5.56%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 02:19 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
if you have any questions about it you can ask me its the only part of nyc i've lived
I will. Right now, I'm stuck on horrible Long Island. I'm trying to save up enough money to escape. I'm hoping that by springtime I'll have enough to make the nut.

What a bunch of creeps. One of my housemates is like a two side 45 record. Side A is about how much tax he pays. Side B is how much he hates...well, moving along here.

Those people he says he hates so much...I see why some of them call us "white devils."

Last edited by Dedalus; 02-03-2007 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 10:47 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,267 times
Geez. This is tough. I will say for me it is a tie between Brooklyn and Queens.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:46 PM

122 posts, read 790,434 times
Manhattan-ite, your comments make me sad and a little annoyed.

Yes, there are certain areas of BK dominated by spoiled young people who all seem to think they're living a real-life version of the play RENT. That is very irritating, yes. BUT there are so many other places here, places those hipsters have never even heard of, that are worth regarding and make Brooklyn a wonderful and unique borough.

To say that the entirety of Kings County is overrated is unfair to those who've lived here their whole lives and love it for indescribable reasons that have nothing to do with where you can buy cool clothes or a cheap panini. And it gives those bratty hipsters too much influence over a borough they don't even know beyond the L-line.

If any place is overrated, surely it is Manhattan.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:29 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,330 times
I understand. I was generalizing, and generalizations are wrong by nature.

But I'm sure most people understood what I mean when I say "Brooklyn is overrated", because -when thinking of Brooklyn- most people think of Brooklyn Heights, Williamsburg, Prospect Park, Carroll Gardens and all those white-ified "hip" areas.

I'm sure you understood too!

I like Brooklyn, don't get me wrong. I just really think is overrated. Some is hipster-young-cool-white, some is super-ghetto-criminal, some is I'm-Italian-don't-mess-with-me, some is a pure suburb. Good for a walk, but I wouldn't live there.

Whatever.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:59 AM

284 posts, read 1,657,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
And for that person who says we New Yorkers are rude... well, you must be from out of town to think that. We are the most helpful, caring people- without being overly nice a la Minnesotan.
As a former (and possibly soon-to-be-again) New Yorker and former Minnesotan, I always found the difference to be this:

A New Yorker will say f-you to your face; a Minnesotan will say it behind your back.

Old 02-10-2007, 10:59 PM

113 posts, read 225,950 times
Default Brooklyn IS overrated

I entirely agree with manhattan-ite...and I am from Brooklyn!!
Positives: There are alot of really beautiful residential areas in BK- I think those areas like park slope and brooklyn heights, with those elegant brownstones, are some of the prettiest urban areas I've ever encountered in my life. Too bad that if you don't make 100k a year you won't even get a passing glance of them. Bensonhurst, sheepshead, Bay Ridge, all real nice neighborhoods, but so far from the city that you're probably closer to the city living in Jersey. And Williamsburg- don't even get me started. All those corny 'hipsters' that aren't from NYC have made life here miserable for people who can't afford to live in their own city anymore...Brooklyn isn't a place for anyone who's not a lawyer or a doctor, or someone who has so little dignity that they will waste their entire salary to live in an apartment with 8 roomates who have to walk through their room at nite to get to their own rooms

Old 02-18-2007, 04:57 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,722 times
Brooklyn or the Bronx for me. I just lean towards Brooklyn because I know it better and spend more time there. But Arthur Ave in the Bronx beats any other part of NYC. I would have to go with Brooklyn it has more character and nicer architecture.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 14,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Excluding Manhattan, which NYC burrough do you like or love the most?
Crooklyn. All the way baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: