Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,577,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Very cool. Yes, there are some New Jersey places as well that would fit the bill, but I'd strongly suggest use of transit if you have a Manhatan commute, since travel via the Hudson crossings in a private car can be maddening at times, something I know well since I drive a lot and have hit problems at them at all times of the day, but they can be horrendous in rush hour.

I probably would use the transit, I don't have a problem with that, but the same would be true in an outer borough right? Some people in the NJ forum act like Hudson county is urban h*ll and 20 times more crime ridden than NYC, now I'm assuming that isn't true but I'm not sure. I know it isn't really possible to compare one large area to another, but roughly how does the safety of Hudson county stack up against NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Actually, the Bronx does have some decent neighborhoods in it, Bedford Park being one of them, but you want to be closer to Mosholu Parkway in that neighborhood as opposed to closer to the border of Fordham, which is a little more transitional.

Another area in the Bronx to consider is Van Cortlandt Village which is the reservoir to the Deegan, and 238th to Van Cortlandt Park. The Amalgamated cooperative of the same name is in this neighborhood, but surrounding streets are pretty good as well.
Are these areas more expensive, cheaper or about the same price as comparable neighborhoods in the other boroughs or places in NJ?

Old 09-10-2008, 09:43 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,425,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
I probably would use the transit, I don't have a problem with that, but the same would be true in an outer borough right? Some people in the NJ forum act like Hudson county is urban h*ll and 20 times more crime ridden than NYC, now I'm assuming that isn't true but I'm not sure. I know it isn't really possible to compare one large area to another, but roughly how does the safety of Hudson county stack up against NYC?
It depends upon the part of Hudson County. Some areas do have their fair share of issues, due to dense populations, and disadvantaged economic status of some residents. Some parts of Hudson, however, are not bad at all, including places like Secaucus, Kearny, Weehawken, and Hoboken. When you get into Jersey City and Union, however, the immediate neighborhood becomes much more of an issue, and there are parts that are rough.

Yes, I would also recommend transit from Queens, Bronx, or Brooklyn as well, since it's just a much easier way to get around. You have subway and express buses from whch to choose to get to Manhattan.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:47 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,425,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Are these areas more expensive, cheaper or about the same price as comparable neighborhoods in the other boroughs or places in NJ?
They are about the same, and would fall in the under $1500 category for a 2BR. And, you might even look in parts of Kingsbridge, above 231st on the west side, Broadway side, of the Deegan as your price range might fall into that neighborhood as well, and perhaps you might find something in the Northeastern part of Riverdale that touches Van Cortlandt Park, especially in a multi-family home.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:41 AM

718 posts, read 2,326,560 times
The Gowanus Expressway is just as bad as the Hudson River Crossings. Nutley has NJ transit trains in the general area.

Quote:
Not during rush hour from Nutley, since inbound delays at the Hudson crossings can be problematic and cost a lot of time, not to mention the question of what to do with the car in Manhattan can be an expensive proposition as well. You're better off taking transit from Nutley to Manhattan in rush hour.

I agree, however, with your statement regarding Hudson County and Queens, but since the OP wants NYC, Queens is an excellent choice. And, Miles is correct, in the better Queens neighborhoods, one has to move quicky to get the apartment, and I'd recommend searching for an owner represented apartment, both to avoid the fees and to stand a better chance of getting the place if you make a good impression.

Old 09-10-2008, 10:53 AM

718 posts, read 2,326,560 times
Im just trying to let people know that there are many areas to move, and people need to stop getting hung up on name and start focusing on AMENITIES. Hudson county functions like a sixth borough, and the path train is basically a NY subway to Jersey. Weehawken and Hoboken, for instance, are better options than Flatlands or Rosedale Queens for newcomers, but most on this forum would recommend those far out areas because a Queens or Brooklyn address is "oh so hip" and from an outsider perspective you just have to live inside city limits so you can write home to everyone in Paducah two days later that you are a resident of __ borough.

I am not trying to push out people from anywhere. Its a known fact that Queens is cheaper than Brooklyn and Jersey is cheaper (and often closer too) than both. People who make the journey (often without family) want some sort of Manhattan access, whether its minimal visits or living/working there. No sense in sticking them 45min+ away so they can rent in someone's basement and have to walk 8 blocks to a subway.

[quote=Henna;5206783]DITC, isn't it going a bit far to say we are "shoving these neighborhoods down newcomers' throats"?

Did you read the OP's question, which was:
"Is it possible to find a 2 bdrm. apt. in NYC for less than $1500???"

I hardly think that answering the question accurately is shoving anything down anyone's throat. The fact that you would like to suggest to someone who is asking about NYC that they live outside NYC is your prerogative, but I think the whole shoving down throats thing is a bit much.

quote]

Last edited by Viralmd; 09-10-2008 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 09-10-2008, 11:07 AM

508 posts, read 2,120,711 times
For the record $1500 in Harlem will only get you a studio or one bedroom. I'm not sure you can get a 2 BR in Wash Hts or Inwood either for that amount.

I would seriously consider NJ, places such as Jersey City and Union City. They are a lot closer to downtown Manhattan than some of the places mentioned in Brooklyn or Queens. A friend of mine got a great deal in Jersey City and has about a 15-20 minute commute into Manhattan. She's also about 2 blocks from the Path train.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:14 AM

90 posts, read 423,445 times
When I was looking for an apartment a few months ago, I saw several two bedrooms in Harlem for $1,500 or less. Some were even below 125th St. (though they were east of Morningside Park). I was looking below 130th, but I'm sure there must be a ton farther north in some areas if I saw three without even looking hard.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
For the record $1500 in Harlem will only get you a studio or one bedroom. I'm not sure you can get a 2 BR in Wash Hts or Inwood either for that amount.

I would seriously consider NJ, places such as Jersey City and Union City. They are a lot closer to downtown Manhattan than some of the places mentioned in Brooklyn or Queens. A friend of mine got a great deal in Jersey City and has about a 15-20 minute commute into Manhattan. She's also about 2 blocks from the Path train.
Those are two cities that I was looking into. Does she feel safe in Jersey City? I hear so many different things about JC, most say it is bad, but some say people over hype the crime. Same with Union City, but most people say it isn't bad it is just crowded. Those areas, especially JC, just seem like such great deals with the transportation options, price, and proximity to NYC.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirlin6 View Post
When I was looking for an apartment a few months ago, I saw several two bedrooms in Harlem for $1,500 or less. Some were even below 125th St. (though they were east of Morningside Park). I was looking below 130th, but I'm sure there must be a ton farther north in some areas if I saw three without even looking hard.
Is that a good area of Harlem? I heard Harlem has some good areas, bad areas, and block to block areas. Is there a general good area and bad area of Harlem or is it too mixed to say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City