Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:01 AM

68 posts, read 323,523 times

Advertisements

There's nothing like a bad economy or recession (or whaddevah you wanna call this mess) to jumpstart some good ol' self-sacrificing but I'm trying hard to stay home more to avoid the temptation to spend. So here are my current top 5:
Converting Friday's "girls night out" into Friday night potluck

starting a clothing swap meet

Paying closer attention to those previously annoying weekly supermarket fliers

Mapping out those 99 cent stores

Learning to make Christmas gifts this year instead of shopping for them

Anyone care to add to this list?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 02:50 PM

655 posts, read 1,992,705 times
using change on the bus if i know i'm not transferring. this includes the express bus when i don't have the unlimited card.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:59 PM

821 posts, read 1,040,167 times
I brought a coffee machine to work so I don't have to buy coffee ($4 a day)

I ride my bicycle to work from Flatbush to Lower East Side ($80 a month saved)

Canceled my netflix account, go to the Brooklyn Public Library and take out movies.

I eat 5 dumplings for a dollar in Chinatown for lunch almost everyday. (Allen St./Delancey)

For dinner I eat Punjabi cab food for $3, its vegetarian (East 1st/ Ave A)

Last edited by Joe Bama!; 10-25-2008 at 03:22 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 03:44 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,575,368 times
can't reply since don't know what all that mumbo jumbo bunch of characters before "economy" means.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:54 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,259 times
My mom's boyfriend finally got a full-time job so my family's financial woes are over, ironically enough. All our money-saving tactics (watering down shampoo, for example, haha) were employed during the "bubble" or whatever it was. At least for now, I'll probably feel the crunch a little more when I move out if things haven't improved by then. Hoping for next summer....

Drinking tap water is probably one of the biggest money-savers in the world, if you can stomach the thought haha.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:39 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,575,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Drinking tap water is probably one of the biggest money-savers in the world, if you can stomach the thought haha.
If you do drink tap, I'd suggest a filter at all costs. Better in the long run.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:05 AM

536 posts, read 2,349,259 times
Oh yeah of course. Brita all the way.

edit: I actually prefer the taste of filtered NYC tap water over bottled water. Back when I lived on the island, however, the tap water tasted chemically... suburban lawns+groundwater=bad idea, I guess. Filters can't remove that crappy pesticide taste, haha.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:17 AM

467 posts, read 1,684,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Oh yeah of course. Brita all the way.

edit: I actually prefer the taste of filtered NYC tap water over bottled water. Back when I lived on the island, however, the tap water tasted chemically... suburban lawns+groundwater=bad idea, I guess. Filters can't remove that crappy pesticide taste, haha.

Agree! LI water is the WORST!!!!!!!!!! I would never drink that, even with a Brita.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:53 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
I bought soup cans for a dollar so I can save money for dinners.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:55 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
Agree! LI water is the WORST!!!!!!!!!! I would never drink that, even with a Brita.

I had a terrible reaction to LI water once I went away to college and went back home. I always got stomach viruses when I went home and didn't know why. Stopped drinking the water and it stopped. Now I live in the city and the water seems a lot better to me. I'm going to be buying a house on LI in less than a year, so the water is the only reason why I'm dreading going back to LI, lol. Otherwise, I'm really looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City