Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 08:56 AM

3 posts, read 6,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Isn't that a little too far up to be considered Uni Heights? Not that it matters though, Uni Heights, Fordham/Belmont and Fordham/Bedford are like one big neighborhood to me anyway.
Yeah, you're right. It's a little north of Fordham. Now, would you call it Fordham or Bedford Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
Yeah, you're right. It's a little north of Fordham. Now, would you call it Fordham or Bedford Park?
University Heights is lower. For years the northern boundary of UH has been Fordham rd. Some people take it all the way up to Kingsbdrige. I personally cut it off at around 190th. And it's west of Jerome.

But the area you're talking about is a terrible neighborhood. I call it Fordham-Bedford or North Fordham. Both neighborhoods, and that area of Inwood, are gutter.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:58 PM

85 posts, read 333,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawny08 View Post
I am white and live on Vermilyea and 207th. Never had a problem, its just annoying that everyone speaks spanish in America. If I were to move to a foreign country my #1 priority would be to learn to speak the language of that country and assimilate.
Everyone speaks Spanish in America? Are you sure you are a New Yorker? You can always try moving to Dubuque, Iowa or some such place where you can be more at home. Besides, spanish speakers are some of the friendliest people I have known and they go out of their way to help you in a way.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:06 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kart Rider View Post
A friend of mine from upstate is looking into apt in Inwood for school.
I have never taken A or 1 line up to Inwood and back at late night. I had taken them during the evenings though. I can get off at either 207th or Dyckman stations for both lines and get to my destination. I remember that the Dyckman Street station for 1 line looked a little shady. There was PJ (a half dozen mid-rises) across the street. (At least it looked like PJ).
Any recommendation for which line and which stations are the safest for a non-hispanic male? Or maybe which streets to avoid at nights?
The unit he's looking into is on Post Avenue.

A is better. Around the 1 teens around there are doing alot of mischief as what ive seen today and a couple weeks ago i saw kids running out of a bodega with food and today i saw the same thing but i was in the subway and the kids ran onto the railroad tracks while being chased by the owner onto the otherside and catching the train nothing that should make you feel VERY unsafe though.

(pasted this from my earlier post)

Last edited by KRS88; 02-07-2009 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 02-08-2009, 03:25 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
I live south of Inwood, but isn't the A better simply because it is express south of 168th on weekdays? (I don't expect to see the A run express on a weekend with the neverending track work.)

Old 03-02-2009, 10:17 PM

9 posts, read 27,461 times
Default 1 vs. A (from a native)

The #1 line at Dyckman is actually a very safe station because of the constant traffic running through it and because it's outdoors facing residential buildings. I used to prefer the A line because the seats are slightly wider and set in L-patterns where you're not always forced to stare at the passenger in front of you or at the floor. But I would never take it late at night because the stations are more labyrinth and less trafficked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City