Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 06:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,746 times

Advertisements

I have been renting an apartment on Ave B and third since October and I've decided to move because the noise level is out-of-control. I'm on the second floor of the building and can hear every word, cell phone, and step below me.. not to mention the space below the apartment is being turned into a bar.
I'm going to get out of my lease but am wondering if there are any areas below 14th that would be quieter. I've found a place in Greenwich Village on Greene and 8th street. There are no restaurants or bars on the block and, even though it is close to Broadway and NYU, it seemed very quiet when I was there. However, having a lower level of noise (obviously nowhere in the city is going to be particularly quiet) is one of my biggest priorities and I was wondering if anybody knew if this would be any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 06:52 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
I live in the back of my building. I can't hear traffic, I hear no sirens, I hear NOTHING. So I would recommend, no matter where you choose to live, that you try to get an apartment that faces the rear of the building. Just a thought.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:29 AM

61 posts, read 233,511 times
I live on 4th between 5th and 6th on the second floor facing the street, and it never ceases to amaze me how obnoxious people are. 5 minutes after last call and it seems like half of NYU is outside my window howling at the moon...literally. Luckily I work 4-midnight, and I typically don't go to sleep until around 6 AM, but I dread the day that I have to actually work during the day.

Oh and to make things better as I was moving in the tattoo shop beneath my apartment was moving out, which was good because I know the last tenant had issues with noise from them. So it appears that the tattoo shop is being replaced with...another tattoo shop.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:38 PM

219 posts, read 608,935 times
You seem to be Manhattan-centric but Brooklyn Heights is blissfully quiet.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:04 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Hey, fuhgeddabout the Village! Come here to Midwood in Brooklyn. My neighborhood not only looks unbelievably surburban, it feels that way too. Well, OK, they drive like maniacs on Ocean Parkway. But go one block over, and you could be pardoned for thinking that you'd wandered into Nassau County someplace.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:34 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Hey, fuhgeddabout the Village! Come here to Midwood in Brooklyn. My neighborhood not only looks unbelievably surburban, it feels that way too. Well, OK, they drive like maniacs on Ocean Parkway. But go one block over, and you could be pardoned for thinking that you'd wandered into Nassau County someplace.
Yea, I'm not too far from you. If you go through there you'll think your in parts of Long Island. Very nice area and VERY quite. If you like to jog, Ocean Parkway is there and it's safe.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:44 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Just look for streets with little or no nightlife. Chelsea, West Village side streets, parts of Tribeca are much quieter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City