Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 08:33 PM

46 posts, read 195,158 times

Advertisements

I can live anywhere, so I'm having a deliemma obout what CITY to live/work from and I'd like to hear some pro/con from the New Yorkers out there...

I work from home , I'm a traveling salesman. Here's the story:
1. My company is based in KY.

2. I used to live in Atlanta, but then moved out of my house and just traveled 100% of the time, living out of hotels, rental cars etc.. to get our company off the ground. I've done this for 2 years. Our company is distributed, some people live/work in Kentucky, while others are in Denver etc.. Employee taxes are withheld for the states that they live in. On paper I live in florida thus I pay 0%. But it's temporary....I officially live at a friends house-- I have been totally homeless and have been traveling/working 7 days a week.. Things are starting to become more normal now and I need to choose a HOME location.

3. We're doing well now, and I'd like to settle down someplace, -- My financial choices are any sate that does not have state income tax since I can choose anywhere. I make $150K+ per year so the nyc state and city taxes with the increased rent cost thousands more per month than cities located in florida or texas for example. The taxes reduce my take home pay by a $1,000 or more per month depending on commissions, and NYC rent is about $1,000 + more per month than other places.

4. I have a ton of friends that live in NYC ( manhattan) - I really want to live there. All my New Yorker friends are really pushing that NYC is the best place in the world to live, they are very adamant about this.

Here's the question:

The taxes and increased rent really impact my budget, between the additional city and state taxes ( 10%) and the rent ( about double) I will loose over $33K a year EXTRA just to live in NYC, plus since I work out of my house, it's really hard to live out of a very small place. Living in NYC will decrease my disposable income by 62% ( based on my research)

I think it might actually be hard to "live" and have a good standard of living on $150K a year in manhattan.
I also travel a few weeks a month, so I'm paying alot for just living there part time...

Is NYC really worth all this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 08:40 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,596,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolen78 View Post
Is NYC really worth all this?
no.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
no.
really? thanks for the quick answer, what are your reasons for saying NO? is it just the money?

Old 01-24-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolen78 View Post
really? thanks for the quick answer, what are your reasons for saying NO? is it just the money?
yes.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:50 PM

9,253 posts, read 24,162,866 times
Quote:
no.
Miles is probably right... he tends to be... but I have a lot of friends who lived in NY ,retired and left because of the tax thing and wound up being miserable! Of course they had the taste of life here and knew what they were missing when they left. You will never know what you have missed out on,so don't worry !

Old 01-24-2009, 08:51 PM

10,183 posts, read 20,846,051 times
From my experience you have to live in a city for several months to form an honest answer. We know nothing about you...your likes/dislikes, do you hate traffic and long lines, crowds of people everywhere you go, noise and air pollution, hot humid summers and cold winters? Do you drive, if so prepare yourself for bad drivers, no parking, and very bad road conditions.

When people fantasize about life in NYC, they think...outdoor cafe's on a spring night, convenience of stores open at all hours just a short walk from home, culture, nightlife, great dining, diversity, and all of this wrapped up neatly like a "Friends" or "Seinfeld" episode. Similar to how people envision living in California...as though you're going to live on the beach surrounded by sunshine and beautiful woman in paradise. You really have to try it for yourself to see if the good outweighs the bad.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Miles is probably right... he tends to be... but I have a lot of friends who lived in NY ,retired and left because of the tax thing and wound up being miserable! Of course they had the taste of life here and knew what they were missing when they left. You will never know what you have missed out on,so don't worry !
Thanks bluedog. Actually I just meant that based on the fears and desired objectives it didn't seem like the OP really wanted to come here. But of course, you and I both know there's no place like NYC!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
well I kind of do... I've spent some good time in NYC, and for the next 2 months, I am going to live in a sublet ( one of my friends is in europe ) so I'm going to test it out... but every time I leave NYC I do MISS/HATE it. It's a hard city. and sometimes when I log into my bank account, I really like having CASH. It's a really hard decision for me, there is nothing one thing that is making me want to live in ONE place.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Similar to how people envision living in California...as though you're going to live on the beach surrounded by sunshine and beautiful woman in paradise.
You mean Cali's not like that? Darned, now I've got to check out some other place!

Old 01-24-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks bluedog. Actually I just meant that based on the fears and desired objectives it didn't seem like the OP really wanted to come here. But of course, you and I both know there's no place like NYC!
THATS WHAT I'm interested in... WHY IS THERE NO PLACE LIKE NYC? What makes it worth it? I'll give up the extra $30K if I am spending it for "something"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City