Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 10:45 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Thanks Miles but it was really Henna that gave the suggestion first. I was also responding to the criticism of her suggestion, that some may feel that they are being singled out because of appearance. Criminals come in all forms, that is why in my building we carry out the policy all the time we don't discriminate.
You and Henna are absolutely correct! Criminals do come in all sizes, shapes, forms, pigmentations, religions. Some even come dapper looking, armed with only sweet disarming smiles; some even tout a Bible if it'll help their cause to pull one on a hapless victim.

As a lighter example, one day a fella in my friend's building let in an an older woman bent over with a cane and walking exceptionally slowly, fumbling for her keys, it seemed.

As he rode the elevator with her, she suddenly threw the cane aside, straightened out more erect than a lamppost , pulled a hangun out of her bra and said to him, "Okay jerk, hand over your wallet, punk."

One never knows who is who these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 11:23 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I think in order to continue the decrease in crime, we must pursue the policy of development and equality that has JUST BEGUN in the struggling communities that host much of the serious crime in the city. The city has finally learned that you just cannot abandon parts of the city it deems "undesirable" (and I think our society has realized this also), nor can it move forward financially, socially, or improve safely by merely improving/concentrating on some areas, and providing less attention towards others. If we are to decrease crime across the city, then the city must continue to develop these communities in needs, apply more vigilant policing, work with the communities, and provide the necessary recourses to educate the population, and give them a stake in the game (jobs, education, home ownership, community input, etc). Criminalizing a society, or segment of society, is just a self-fulfilling cycle, but INCLUDING people, HELPING them, and treating them equally, will break the cycle and empower them. And the city as of late has been doing just that, providing homeownership opportunities to the working/middle class so that they can STAY in these communities, and have a vested interest in them. The city has been developing the infrastructure to support this new working/middle class that IS making a difference, and showing others the fruits of education, work, and responsibility. This is the only TRUE way to sustain a decline in crime...everything else is just superficial, gimmicks, and smoke and mirrors.

Old 01-31-2009, 04:25 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I think in order to continue the decrease in crime, we must pursue the policy of development and equality that has JUST BEGUN in the struggling communities that host much of the serious crime in the city. The city has finally learned that you just cannot abandon parts of the city it deems "undesirable" (and I think our society has realized this also), nor can it move forward financially, socially, or improve safely by merely improving/concentrating on some areas, and providing less attention towards others. If we are to decrease crime across the city, then the city must continue to develop these communities in needs, apply more vigilant policing, work with the communities, and provide the necessary recourses to educate the population, and give them a stake in the game (jobs, education, home ownership, community input, etc). Criminalizing a society, or segment of society, is just a self-fulfilling cycle, but INCLUDING people, HELPING them, and treating them equally, will break the cycle and empower them. And the city as of late has been doing just that, providing homeownership opportunities to the working/middle class so that they can STAY in these communities, and have a vested interest in them. The city has been developing the infrastructure to support this new working/middle class that IS making a difference, and showing others the fruits of education, work, and responsibility. This is the only TRUE way to sustain a decline in crime...everything else is just superficial, gimmicks, and smoke and mirrors.
I don't agree with everything you said as it sounds like more of the same. With all due respect.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:00 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
I stand with Fred on this issue. If poverty was all there is to it with regards to crime, then why do third world nations like China, India, Pakistan, etc have far less crime than the US? The truth is that by celebrating "Ghetto Fabulous" and turning NYS into an ATM card for the lazy and deliquent, we brought this on ourselves.

Bring back values into society, as well as an end to cultural/social/racial excuses, and we'd be a long way towards where we want to be.....

Old 02-01-2009, 09:55 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I stand with Fred on this issue. If poverty was all there is to it with regards to crime, then why do third world nations like China, India, Pakistan, etc have far less crime than the US? The truth is that by celebrating "Ghetto Fabulous" and turning NYS into an ATM card for the lazy and deliquent, we brought this on ourselves.

Bring back values into society, as well as an end to cultural/social/racial excuses, and we'd be a long way towards where we want to be.....
The 3 places you have listed are loaded with crime. Theft, murder, prostitution, black market economy. India's prostitution rate has resulted in one of the world's highest aids rates.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:37 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Thank you DAS! Why would he assert those places are not filled with crime..they are horrendously filled with crime and MASSIVE OVERT corruption. And if you want to talk about the ROOT problems as to why we are in this mees, it was WAY before the "ghetto fabulousness" of which you speak. When race hating was popular, normal, encouraged, and systemic it sowed the seeds for what you see today. It is not the "ghetto fabulous" that has devalued our society, it is the CORPORATIONS that are running our society and pushing policies driven by their profits that has trickled down to the GREED and celebration of money/bling that now pervades our society. Corporations do not see us as people, we are consumers...nothing more...and our social policies and government has been molded to treat us as such. So how can you expect us to act any differently? When PEOPLE rule the government again, you will have the social values and humanity that we have lost being restored. So long as Corporations rule our society, we will never be human, just consumers, a vehicle to money..that is now our purpose in life.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:47 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
What a great post SobroGuy. I am so happy that you can see through to some of the root causes of societies ills. I don't have an answer, so I really can't comment, other than simple everyday solutions, that anyone can use to deter crime in their everyday lives.

I do know the US is still one of the places on this planet that people still try to make it to, in order to escape some of the worst crimes imaginable in their parts of the world. That includes corporate greed, where people are fighting to go from misery, to poverty. This is the extreme of the corporate rule on a society.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:07 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,701 times
Is it just me or does it seem like if we keep repeating the same failed strategies that we will get no REAL progress?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM

10 posts, read 43,307 times
The best way is through the parents and schools:

1. If you are poor then do not have sex until you complete your secondary education, followed by post –secondary education, and then followed by getting a job. If this is not possible then do not ever have sex or get sterilized. Poverty breeds crime and more poverty breeds more crime.

2. Do not take, buy, or sell drugs.

3. Do not join any criminal groups (gangs, Mafia, terrorist groups, ethnic and racial hate groups, and religious hate groups).

4. Do not bully or harass people.

5. Do not vandalize or graffiti.

6. Do not steal.

7. Do not molest children and do not harm/kill animals.

8. Do not rape.

9. Do not murder.

10. Stay in school and learn, do homework, study, and keep on learning.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:19 PM

674 posts, read 1,813,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by star9quit View Post
The best way is through the parents and schools:

1. If you are poor then do not have sex until you complete your secondary education, followed by post –secondary education, and then followed by getting a job. If this is not possible then do not ever have sex or get sterilized. Poverty breeds crime and more poverty breeds more crime.

2. Do not take, buy, or sell drugs.

3. Do not join any criminal groups (gangs, Mafia, terrorist groups, ethnic and racial hate groups, and religious hate groups).

4. Do not bully or harass people.

5. Do not vandalize or graffiti.

6. Do not steal.

7. Do not molest children and do not harm/kill animals.

8. Do not rape.

9. Do not murder.

10. Stay in school and learn, do homework, study, and keep on learning.

Parents and schools have been teaching this for about 200 years if you havent noticed how are we supposed to enforce this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City