Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:27 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,052,255 times

Advertisements

While browsing on the internet for some pictures of NYC, I noticed the lack of pics from the early 90's. There are also not many pics of the 1980's. I saw a few 1970's, but almost all of these were famous "urban decay" pics. Now, I realize most photos from the timeframe (1970's - 1990's) are going to show NYC at it's worst but there is a huge difference in the amount of photos post 2000 and the amount of photos pre 1995.

So I figured, since we had already had a NYC photo thread, that we can have a thread consisting of older photos.

Since they are hard to find, I looked in my families photo albums and found a couple of interesting photos of University Heights in 1994. The photo shows how gritty the Bronx and the rest of NYC was during the crack days. It really shows how far the city has come. Today, that same block has barely any graffiti and is much nicer looking.

I will try to post them up later. I have to scan them first.

If any of you have similar childhood or older photos, please post them up. If you dont want to get to personal, you can always blur the faces.

So open up them dusty photo albums, open up your old internet folders etc etc and lets see these pics.

Lets see how far this gets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2009, 10:17 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
good lord i dont even wanna think about those days lol

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,769,574 times
It's funny - I was a teenager at this time and remember it being rough, but never thinking it was that bad. I'm more scared for my kids now than I was scared for myself then and technically they say it is a much safer city.

Old 02-03-2009, 07:12 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,786,996 times
Check out some books by Bruce Davidson if you want to see some gritty photos of NYC. There is a book titled "East 100th St." that he published with photos from the late 60's. Check it out from a library near you since that books costs over $200 on Amazon and is very hard to find. He also did other books in the 80s...NYC Subway and Brooklyn Gangs from the late 50's.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 PM

This is the same picture, taken from the same location in 2007.

Night and day.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 PM

294 posts, read 839,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
This is the same picture, taken from the same location in 2007.

Night and day.
WOW!!!!! You see...this is the way it should be.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:42 PM

A better comparison.....sorry for how sloppy it came out. But you get the idea.http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/snowday4bg8.jpg/1/w1024.png (broken link)

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 02-03-2009 at 08:02 PM..

Old 02-03-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
WOW!!!!! You see...this is the way it should be.
Yeah, it's wonderful. I have a couple more shots to post. I will compare them too.

It's a different world from the early 1990's.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:51 PM

294 posts, read 839,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Yeah, it's wonderful. I have a couple more shots to post. I will compare them too.

It's a different world from the early 1990's.
Just curious...has that area gentrified or seen a shift from poor people to middle-upper middle class people?

What do you think caused a change in that neighborhood?

Old 02-03-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Better_Bronx_2morrow View Post
Just curious...has that area gentrified or seen a shift from poor people to middle-upper middle class people?

What do you think caused a change in that neighborhood?
University Heights hasn't gentrified at all. There aren't that many new buildings up, like you see in some lower parts of the Bronx. So everything looks the same minus the graffiti.

The area is still poor, but is not as poor as it was. This in my opinion is due to the fact that more people are getting off their feet and working, and not relying on their father or uncle or brother to bring in drug revenue, like most families did back in 1994. The father, brother, or uncle probably got locked up, and people had to start working their way up. And many are earning decently now 15 years later.

Also back in the early 1990's, Dominicans who came to UH and the west Bronx, would immediately start selling drugs. Crime was up as a result. People looked at UH like a foreign third world ghetto ; run down buildings, graffiti, trash, shootings, stabbings and spanish being spoken in the streets. The Dominicans coming in today are actually helping revitalize the neighborhood. They are being displaced from upper Manhattan and move to the Bronx. Here they bring their families and their high work ethics, so there is more sense of community.

The supers of the buildings back then were almost all involved in the drug trade. They didn't care for the condition of the buildings. They were supers by name, and it was mostly to cover up what they were really doing. The ones we have now, clean the buildings and maintain them which is why they look so neat.

I seen a white family in my building recently, but they are still hard to find here. The end of the crack era is the #1 cause for improvement, everything else came as a result of that. But it's still not middle income, poverty is still widespread and I would call it a low income neighborhood still.

It went from 83 murders and being called the "wild west" to just 15 murders. So it has imrpoved alot.

With all that said, currently its still one of the cities worst neighborhood. And one of the precincts covering the area, the 52, is currently on pace to have 774 robberies this year, up from 513 all of last year! No other nabe is even close this year.

Probably the worst neighborhood in the city so far to start the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City