Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Native brooklynite coming back to NYC. Looking for affordable rentals in Brooklyn and new age spots all over New York.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:32 AM

20 posts, read 57,926 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I recently discovered this great board and just wanted to say hi from Flatbush, and also, to share my story as a kind of cautionary tale. This goes out to the dissatisfied natives who are thinking of moving elsewhere. I'm a 26 year old born-and-bred Brooklyn chick that lived here until 2006. I went to Brooklyn College and everything. But, I met someone who lived in the Phoenix metro area (specifically, Tempe), and was head over heels. After falling for the whole mellow college town thing on a series of extended visits, I foolishly followed her out there. I was looking for a change of scenery, since I'd lived here my whole life. Naturally the relationship didn't last, and I found myself striking out on my own after a couple of months.

Fortunately, being a college town, Tempe always has a glut of affordable rentals, and I found a spacious 1000 sq ft 1 BD with pool and 24/7 gym access right next to my apt for $900. It was a newish complex just minutes from downtown Tempe. My $30k salary went pretty far. But that came at a definite price. I have to say, if you must live anywhere in the Valley, Tempe is the only place that's remotely livable. But as decent as it was, I found myself desperately homesick. The people and the culture out there are totally different than NYC, in a bad way. Phoenix is not so much a city but a sprawling collection of hick suburbs trying desperately to play with the big kids and failing on every level. The worst part (aside from the weather, which I honestly didn't mind that much) was living without a car. Anyone who complains about the MTA's incompetence should be forced to live in Phoenix and have to deal with Valley Metro for a week. "Public transit" in the Valley consists of a hodgepodge of poorly funded buses that constantly break down, (no AC half the time even in the dead of summer), and mouth-breathing drivers who don't pay attention to stop signals and constantly drive past your stop. Instead of pouring money into beefing up the current system, they're putting in a joke of a light rail, which will do nothing to alleviate any issues. Tempe is bike-friendly by design, but God help you if you have business that takes you elsewhere. Western car culture is at its absolute worst in PHX.

Saturday nights were horrible, frat boys on the loose racking up DUIs and don't let there be an ASU football game going on. Because, really, there was nothing to do but get drunk and/or high. As far as I could tell there were no other GLBT people in town off the ASU campus, unless you followed the Underground Gayroad to Central Ave. Outside of the immediate ASU area I did not feel comfortable holding my GF's hand. There were multitudes of Scottsdale D-bags driving Hummers even when gas was $4+, few people with any clue about local restaurants because PF Chang's and the Olive Garden were the height of their day. There was little if any decent ethnic food to be had unless you wanted Mexican, or were lucky enough to find a place run by another East Coast transplant. I met many Tri-State expats in my time out there, and all massively regretted their moves.

Even with all that negativity, there were bright spots. Being a couple of hours from some of the most scenic spots in the West was pretty nice. My friends and I took regular weekend trips to Sedona, and I loved the Red Rock Mountains if not the fluff-witted New Age crystal huffers that congregate there. But PHX itself is the armpit of Hades, a cultural wasteland with nothing going for it but the weather in the winter, with an economy even worse than NYC's thanks to the housing bust (FIVE homes across the street from the rental home I shared with my GF were foreclosed on when I left, and it's gotten worse since).

Going back to Bklyn for Xmas was horrible because I missed it so bad, and I never wanted to leave. After 2 1/2 years, I finally could not take it anymore and ran back to NYC last August as fast as I could, despite moving back in with family for the time being. It's true that everywhere in America has its problems, and no place will suit every person's tastes or needs, but I would not trade NYC for anything. I really did not know what I had until it was gone. I don't regret my experience in Arizona despite how miserable I was, for that very reason. I have a new appreciation for many aspects about life in NYC that I used to take for granted. So I just want to say that for those of you yearning for greener pastures where your money can stretch further, remember that Quality of Life is a highly subjective thing. It's not just an age thing, either, because a lot of my mother's friends fled to places like Charlotte and Atlanta and were miserable and tried to come back but couldn't afford to. I know I wouldn't have been able to come back but for my family's help. For me, the diversity, vibrancy, cultural offerings, food and so much more are worth having to share living space. I was Queen of my own castle in PHX, but despite making some good friends, it was bereft of the things that mean the most to me. It was soulless. I will probably go back to visit from time to time, but there's no place like home. NYC has probably ruined me for living in any other city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 12:48 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,765 times
Welcome back to NYC and to Brooklyn.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
Yes, welcome back! I know just how it feels to be a native Brooklynite coming home again. When I was 13, my parents bought a house in the suburbs--and not even a New York suburb. They went and crossed the river to New Jersey! I hated it from Day One. Even told my mother that when I got out of school and landed my first job, I intended to move back to Brooklyn. (She didn't believe me...came as quite a surprise when I was as good as my word!)

Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 AM

20 posts, read 57,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Yes, welcome back! I know just how it feels to be a native Brooklynite coming home again. When I was 13, my parents bought a house in the suburbs--and not even a New York suburb. They went and crossed the river to New Jersey! I hated it from Day One. Even told my mother that when I got out of school and landed my first job, I intended to move back to Brooklyn. (She didn't believe me...came as quite a surprise when I was as good as my word!)
LOL! It's kind of hilarious, I met so many people from the Tri-State area out there, specifically Jersey. The New Yorkers though, we were like a secret club. It really is like the expatriate experience. It doesn't matter how long you've been gone, native NYers stay that way and recognize each other. I had some of the best random conversations with strangers because of that, which always baffled the locals around us.

For me it really was the food. I'm not saying that there isn't decent, non-chain food to be had in other places. I did find one really awesome restaurant in Mesa adjacent to a farm where they grew everything they served on the menu (it was featured on Food Network once). But the breadth, depth and variety of food here in NY is second to none. Not to mention the quality. Our cheap street eats are better than the fancy restaurant stuff out there, no joke. What made me laugh the hardest was the sheer number of dives that claimed to serve "NY style" food out there. Not just pizza either, I've seen the label claimed for everything from Chinese takeout to Greek. And it was all uniformly terrible and not remotely "NY style", except for the few places run by people who were really from here.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:46 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,709,999 times
I think within the next 20 years or so the recent luster of the "Sun Belt" will fade. As naturally beautiful as the west is (as well as smaller cities like Sedona), Phoenix and Vegas and the like are just horribly developed. They are everything bland and awful about America at its most gluttonous. Cultural and intellectual wastelands to boot.

I suspect we'll see the Northeast and the Great Lakes regions rise again as destinations as more and more people realize there's a lot more to happiness than four seasons of sun in an ecosystem never intended to support that many people.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:51 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,881 times
I hear ya! Wife & I moved to Northern Michigan 5 yrs ago and as soon as we can sell our house, we're moving back to Long Island or Queens

Old 02-23-2009, 06:06 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,943 times
I'm living in the suburban wasteland city of San Antonio where everyone here thinks it's the best place on Earth... well because it has 18 Wal Marts, tons of strip shopping centers (same exact chain stores everywhere you go) along with 30+ McDonalds and countless restaurants (but of course they're all chains).

It's not worth it financially to live in a city like this. Like the OP stated, if you can stay in NY, stay. Life is too short to be spent in culturally suffocated lands.

Old 02-24-2009, 01:00 AM

163 posts, read 628,643 times
enjoyed reading your story, nativebrooklynite.

sometime, the grass isn't always greener on the other side...

Old 02-24-2009, 01:03 AM

163 posts, read 628,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I think within the next 20 years or so the recent luster of the "Sun Belt" will fade. As naturally beautiful as the west is (as well as smaller cities like Sedona), Phoenix and Vegas and the like are just horribly developed. They are everything bland and awful about America at its most gluttonous. Cultural and intellectual wastelands to boot.

I suspect we'll see the Northeast and the Great Lakes regions rise again as destinations as more and more people realize there's a lot more to happiness than four seasons of sun in an ecosystem never intended to support that many people.
interesting post.

i've always had this fascination of moving to a LV suburb for about a year. i can't stand the east coast winters much longer. but, your comments put my thoughts into perspective...

Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 AM

504 posts, read 1,579,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativebrooklynite View Post
Hey everyone, I recently discovered this great board and just wanted to say hi from Flatbush, and also, to share my story as a kind of cautionary tale. This goes out to the dissatisfied natives who are thinking of moving elsewhere. I'm a 26 year old born-and-bred Brooklyn chick that lived here until 2006. I went to Brooklyn College and everything. But, I met someone who lived in the Phoenix metro area (specifically, Tempe), and was head over heels. After falling for the whole mellow college town thing on a series of extended visits, I foolishly followed her out there. I was looking for a change of scenery, since I'd lived here my whole life. Naturally the relationship didn't last, and I found myself striking out on my own after a couple of months.

Fortunately, being a college town, Tempe always has a glut of affordable rentals, and I found a spacious 1000 sq ft 1 BD with pool and 24/7 gym access right next to my apt for $900. It was a newish complex just minutes from downtown Tempe. My $30k salary went pretty far. But that came at a definite price. I have to say, if you must live anywhere in the Valley, Tempe is the only place that's remotely livable. But as decent as it was, I found myself desperately homesick. The people and the culture out there are totally different than NYC, in a bad way. Phoenix is not so much a city but a sprawling collection of hick suburbs trying desperately to play with the big kids and failing on every level. The worst part (aside from the weather, which I honestly didn't mind that much) was living without a car. Anyone who complains about the MTA's incompetence should be forced to live in Phoenix and have to deal with Valley Metro for a week. "Public transit" in the Valley consists of a hodgepodge of poorly funded buses that constantly break down, (no AC half the time even in the dead of summer), and mouth-breathing drivers who don't pay attention to stop signals and constantly drive past your stop. Instead of pouring money into beefing up the current system, they're putting in a joke of a light rail, which will do nothing to alleviate any issues. Tempe is bike-friendly by design, but God help you if you have business that takes you elsewhere. Western car culture is at its absolute worst in PHX.

Saturday nights were horrible, frat boys on the loose racking up DUIs and don't let there be an ASU football game going on. Because, really, there was nothing to do but get drunk and/or high. As far as I could tell there were no other GLBT people in town off the ASU campus, unless you followed the Underground Gayroad to Central Ave. Outside of the immediate ASU area I did not feel comfortable holding my GF's hand. There were multitudes of Scottsdale D-bags driving Hummers even when gas was $4+, few people with any clue about local restaurants because PF Chang's and the Olive Garden were the height of their day. There was little if any decent ethnic food to be had unless you wanted Mexican, or were lucky enough to find a place run by another East Coast transplant. I met many Tri-State expats in my time out there, and all massively regretted their moves.

Even with all that negativity, there were bright spots. Being a couple of hours from some of the most scenic spots in the West was pretty nice. My friends and I took regular weekend trips to Sedona, and I loved the Red Rock Mountains if not the fluff-witted New Age crystal huffers that congregate there. But PHX itself is the armpit of Hades, a cultural wasteland with nothing going for it but the weather in the winter, with an economy even worse than NYC's thanks to the housing bust (FIVE homes across the street from the rental home I shared with my GF were foreclosed on when I left, and it's gotten worse since).

Going back to Bklyn for Xmas was horrible because I missed it so bad, and I never wanted to leave. After 2 1/2 years, I finally could not take it anymore and ran back to NYC last August as fast as I could, despite moving back in with family for the time being. It's true that everywhere in America has its problems, and no place will suit every person's tastes or needs, but I would not trade NYC for anything. I really did not know what I had until it was gone. I don't regret my experience in Arizona despite how miserable I was, for that very reason. I have a new appreciation for many aspects about life in NYC that I used to take for granted. So I just want to say that for those of you yearning for greener pastures where your money can stretch further, remember that Quality of Life is a highly subjective thing. It's not just an age thing, either, because a lot of my mother's friends fled to places like Charlotte and Atlanta and were miserable and tried to come back but couldn't afford to. I know I wouldn't have been able to come back but for my family's help. For me, the diversity, vibrancy, cultural offerings, food and so much more are worth having to share living space. I was Queen of my own castle in PHX, but despite making some good friends, it was bereft of the things that mean the most to me. It was soulless. I will probably go back to visit from time to time, but there's no place like home. NYC has probably ruined me for living in any other city.
I am glad that you moved back. I thought that I was doing something when I left NY to go to Virginia in 2004. It is something that I still have not come to terms yet. It is too slow for me. Hopefully in another 2 years, I can move back to Brooklyn, or Queens. I would even move to the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City