Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:54 PM

15 posts, read 36,644 times

Advertisements

Dear forum memebers! Looking for your advice. I never been to New York city but since my wife and myself got job opportunity in Bronx Lebanon Hospital and we will be moving there in June or July. We have 2 year old son as well. Our range will be $1000 to $1800 per month. My first concern is Safety as my wife will be working late night shifts and second we are looking something closer to the hospital. But again SAFETY is first concern. I will be really thankful if you guys could suggest some safe and close place to live near Bronx Lebanon Hospital. Thank you very much in advance and God Bless you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 06:23 PM

75 posts, read 563,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogney View Post
Dear forum memebers! Looking for your advice. I never been to New York city but since my wife and myself got job opportunity in Bronx Lebanon Hospital and we will be moving there in June or July. We have 2 year old son as well. Our range will be $1000 to $1800 per month. My first concern is Safety as my wife will be working late night shifts and second we are looking something closer to the hospital. But again SAFETY is first concern. I will be really thankful if you guys could suggest some safe and close place to live near Bronx Lebanon Hospital. Thank you very much in advance and God Bless you.
The area around the hospital is not a good place to live, nevertheless raise a child. I would suggest Belmont, Parkchester, Van Nest/Bronxdale, Morris Park. Those are the safest neighborhoods in the Bronx but are a little expensive... Check them out though.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:59 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
If you want safe, Riverdale, parts of Kingsbridge above 231st and west of Broadway, parts of Van Cortlandt Village, and Woodlawn are all safe. You can catch the Bx1 bus to the hospital which traverses the Concourse from Riverdale/Kingsbridge on W231st St.

For something in Riverdale/Kingsbridge, you'll be closer to the upper end of your range, but it's a good area and not a bad commute to the hospital. And, it's a decent area for children, and you can be close to Van Cortlandt Park, which is a treasure for a host of activities.

Old 04-03-2009, 02:28 PM

15 posts, read 36,644 times
guys thank you very much for your suggestions. A silly question but do you know by any chance how i should look for apartments in those areas. Any website or any other info will be appriciated.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:14 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,053,361 times
Yeah the areas around the hospital are pretty bad. Look into the above mentioned neighborhoods, whcih are a bit farther but are way safer.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:20 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,409,374 times
I would check The New York Times real estate website, though this has mostly broker-represented properties which require a fee, or Craigslist that has both fee and non-fee properties listed. The Times has no-fee apartments, but look for that wording in the ads as there's not a way to search for that criterion on their site, but use the "advanced search" feature to specifiy neighborhoods and property features as it really helps to filter the listings. Also, The Riverdale Press has some limited real estate listings, but this is just an image of their clasified pages, with no dynamic search capability.

One thing to note, however, if you're looking in Kingsbridge, be sure it's not Kingsbridge Heights, which is on the east side of the Deegan Expressway. You want to be west of Broadway and above W231st Street for the better areas of Kingsbridge.

New York Times - Real Estate

Craigslist - Apartment Search

The Riverdale Press/

Old 04-03-2009, 09:46 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,250,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnyy View Post
The area around the hospital is not a good place to live, nevertheless raise a child. I would suggest Belmont, Parkchester, Van Nest/Bronxdale, Morris Park. Those are the safest neighborhoods in the Bronx but are a little expensive... Check them out though.
I don't know if Belmont really qualifies as safe yet. At best I would say it's a mixed (good and bad) area, and this is coming from someone who happens to live near there. Your other suggestions were solid though.

Also generally in the West Bronx (including Belmont) the rent is very affordable for the most part.

OP, Parkchester as well as most of the neighborhoods mentioned so far are well within your budget, and there are a lot of deals in the Bronx if you look around enough. The rental market I find is not as set in stone in the boogie and there is a lot more variance.

This blog is good for deals:

http://boogiedowner.blogspot.com/?wi...-1235883600000

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 04-03-2009 at 09:58 PM..

Old 04-04-2009, 09:41 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,053,361 times
Agreed NooYowkur. Belmont is not a safe neighborhood. It suffers from the same things that plague East Tremont.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:53 PM

730 posts, read 2,054,524 times
If you're working at Lebanon Hospital, I suggest either living by Yankee Stadium (specifically around Walton-Gerard Avs SOUTH of 161st Street, where there's less traffic outside of Yankee games) and Van Cortlandt Village (where the Bx1/2 buses serve you and the 4 train is nearby).

Old 04-05-2009, 08:20 AM

32 posts, read 119,483 times
Please stay away from that neighborhood. It is very bad, drugs, shootings, stabbing, fight, just mention all the bad stuff. With 1500 -1800 hundred bucks, you will get a nice 2 bdrm apartment in morris park, throcks neck, pelham pkway or even riverdale neighborhood; they are all not far from the hospital.
Take my advise b,cos I used to work there as a night shift micu nurse. I felt unsafe walking from the parking garage to the hospital, let alone staying in the nighborhood with a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City