Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,952 times

Advertisements

Hi there! It is a dream of mine to live in NYC but when it comes down to it, I want to make a smart, logical decision and be happy with my choice. I'm a hairstylist currently living in Minneapolis, MN but whenever I'm in NYC I want to live there...however, I'm wondering what it's like to live there vs. visit. THe two times that I've been there, I absolutely love the city but wonder if it is be cuase I'm there with one of my best friends and we're on vacation, or if I would really enjoy living there. I think there are great opportunties in NYC and tons of things to do, especially for a hairstylist. Does living in NYC become like living in any other city (daily grind, paying bills, going to work, etc) or is the excitement still there? I am also worried about moving there by myself and finding people to live with as well as meeting friends. Is it hard to meet good friends in NYC? I would truly appreciate any advice that you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 PM

468 posts, read 2,359,179 times
The thing about New York is that it's really expensive, and as a hairstylist (not that I'm an expert on the field... ) you'll have to accept the fact that you'll need to live with a bunch of roommates in a less desirable neighborhood, and can't have a car, and even then you might have to scrimp to get by. The economy is poor right now so it wouldn't be a good idea to move here without a job lined up. If you accept all that... then yeah, go for it.

I think that yes, "the excitement" is still there for me and many other people. It's a fast paced city with a lot going on. It's not for everyone though. Some people get sick of it.

I think it's easy to meet people because so many New Yorkers moved here from elsewhere that they're also open to meeting new people. People don't look at you funny and ask what high school you went to if you talk funny. People celebrate diversity and all that.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:05 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
It all depends on where you can afford to live. If you've only visited, your impressions are probably very Manhattan-centric. If you can afford cute studio in the Village, living in the city is amazing. If you're commuting an hour on the train from Queens, not so much.

You can have a very nice life in the boroughs, it's just very different from the Manhattan experience that tourists have. If you're considering a move, you should plan a trip and stay in Brooklyn (not far out, but someplace like Williamsburg or Fort Greene). Go out in Manhattan at night and then take the train back to your hotel at 2:00 a.m. That'll give you a more accurate impression of living in New York.

By they way, I lived in Minneapolis for 5 years. There is no place where it is more difficult to meet people than Minnesota.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:38 AM

929 posts, read 2,069,155 times
If you're asking for opinions. Living in NYC is only worth it if you earn enough money to enjoy all the ammenities it offers, because the free stuff is great for about 3 months. When people come here for vacation they have the time of their lives because they are willing to spend money. However, that type of spending is not realistic on a normal salary over a prolonged amount of time.

Like some of the above posters mentioned, if your experience is very Midtown centric than you need to adjust that. Because, unless you're a top hairstylist you probably will struggle to afford NY. That is the type of business that is built on your reputation, following, and referrals, which will take a while to build in NYC. Also, living here is very "inconvenient" for someone that is used to living in a more suburban area.

All in all, staying here is a whole different experience from visiting. Just like visiting Paris for a weekend is different from renting a flat and staying for a month.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:53 PM

135 posts, read 515,194 times
Can get hectic. Can change a person. Many great quirks but in the long run, it can wear you down. The parking problems, the congestion, the noise, sometimes you will feel a bit lost in the crowd. When I moved to the city everyone wanted to hang out at my place, crash at my place, because of course I was situated in the middle of everything. Totally unique lifestyle. Takes a certain kind of person to keep up with it for a long time. But then I am a fickle person. When I am in a deserted tropical island I long for the excitement of a city, when I'm in a city I long for a deserted tropical island. So the only way to know is to just give it a try. I wouldn't try getting a car unless you are willing to pay monthly for one of those parking lots. I am into tree-lined streets, parks and ponds and the sound sound of birds and children laughing. I can go to the city if I want to. It's better to be able to escape honestly.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:12 PM

285 posts, read 862,422 times
I live in Pittsburgh now, but visit New York often. Some my family's friends have lived there for over 20 years. One Saturday morning, when they were visiting Pennsylvania, we were trying to make our plans for the day, and one of them noted, "When we're here, we're always trying to figure out what to do. But in New York, you can do nothing, and still feel like you're doing something, because you're in New York. That's the only city I've ever been to where I feel that."

I don't know if other New Yorkers feel like this, but I thought it was interesting that after more than 20 years of living in the city, while he is open about the things about New York he doesn't like, the "excitement" hadn't worn off for him.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:37 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,493,426 times
Anywhere that you go in the United States is going to be a daily grind worrying about bills.

If you are willing to live in Northern NJ, the 4 other boroughs or other burbs then the financial situation will be better for you

Old 04-18-2009, 01:34 AM

415 posts, read 1,395,756 times
Every place is a grind but there is no other place like NYC. I have lived many places in my life but nothing compares with NYC. NYC is the only place you will live in this country where you cannot say there is nothing to do today. Life in the city is an adventure both good and bad. It is the best place in this country by far for a single person with a couple of bucks.

Old 04-18-2009, 01:49 AM

84 posts, read 283,974 times
I love New York as a whole, but still strongly dislike certain areas. I cannot see myself ever being happy living in one of the busier, louder areas (or anywhere in Midtown). The key is to find a neighborhood that you connect with and feel at peace with, one that feels like home. Sometimes I just feel like getting out of the city and taking a week vacation back home; recharging my battery. Unfortunately now that I am working I can't do that. The city really does seem to drain you, it's nice to be able to escape ever so often.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:15 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,949,028 times
I don't think Queens is all that different than Long Island. Well, Nassau county. Except in Nassau county you're a little more spread out with a real yard lol. That's why I'm moving there and plan on raising my future kids there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City