Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 02:35 PM

327 posts, read 881,995 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

OK, so I walk to work. I live/work/play in midtown. This was the ideal situation I wanted coming into this city, perfect right?

Now, not so much. I can see my work building from my window, and when I sit at home I just feel like I'm tied to work (probably a mental thing).

I've been looking at neighborhoods and BPC comes to mind not only b/c I get a lot more bang for the buck, but I like it for the reasons why everyone else probably hates it.

It's waaaay downtown, feels isolated to the rest of the city, and is relatively quiet. It all sounds like a good escape from my fast pace from my job, and the commute to midtown, though will be longer, is still bearable. Any thought from current/past BPC residents?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 02:41 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,673,266 times
I used to work at the World Financial Center and used to walk through Battery Park City during my lunch break everyday. It's a beautiful, relaxing area that has many professionals and families. I don't understand why you say you get a lot of bang for your buck there, though, because it is SUPER expensive even when compared to most other places in Manhattan below 96th Street. For day-to-day needs, the area has dry cleaning, a few specialty food stores, a grocery store, some restaurants, and a gym. For lively street life and night life, however, you have to leave the neighborhood for Tribeca or the Village. My absolute favorite feature of Battery Park City is the promenade. There's always a brisk breeze coming off of the river over there that is freezing during that winter but very refreshing during the summer. I love the smell of salt in the air and all of the shade trees.. there aren't many places in the City like that.

Old 05-08-2009, 02:50 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
I like Tribeca better--there's something very relaxing about it to me, but I can't put my finger on exactly why. It's close enough to BPC that you can take advantage of the waterfront park, but the architecture is so much nicer and there are better amenities.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:16 PM

thanks guy.. crisp, sorry i mean 'down-downtown' overall, which also consists of FiDi, is generally cheaper than the area i'm leaving of columbus circle/CP south.. thanks for your description, i love the calming effect of BPC..do you think i can expect the same vibe if i cross west street into FiDi..or even further out into Civic Center, or Two Bridges?? it seems further east from BPC = bit more action/noise, though certain streets will be exceptions.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
i love the calming effect of BPC..do you think i can expect the same vibe if i cross west street into FiDi..or even further out into Civic Center, or Two Bridges?? it seems further east from BPC = bit more action/noise, though certain streets will be exceptions.
As soon as you cross into the Financial District/City Hall/Two Bridges area it is congested, noisy, has crowds, etc. Those are bustling areas that are not calming like BPC at all.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:14 PM

Is is busier there at night now? When I lived in the city Hall area a few years back the streets were empty at night after the working day was over.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Is is busier there at night now? When I lived in the city Hall area a few years back the streets were empty at night after the working day was over.
After 7:00 PM the streets are no longer bustling. However, more people live there and there are more stores/restaurants there than a few years ago.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:55 AM

204 posts, read 813,465 times
You can find more amenities in BPC/Financial District than midtown for the same price in a newer building. It is calm down there at night and it is nice to "escape" the bustle of Midtown. There are enough grocery stores/dry cleaning/etc. places to go too. The Whole Foods on Chambers isn't so far away and it is $4 delivery and is a great place to grocery shop. There are a few bars on Stone st and not too far from LES.

To me, it feels more like a "neighborhood" than other parts of the Manhattan.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spac3d View Post

To me, it feels more like a "neighborhood" than other parts of the Manhattan.
definitely get that vibe whenever i'm down-downtown. midtown, not so much.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:09 PM

Downtown is the best. I would never live in midtown, unless the apartment were really cheap. I had a friend who lived at Columbus Circle, and every time I went there I was like, why???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City