Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 6,146 times

Advertisements

Hi All:

I currently do the reverse commute daily from my apt. in NY up to CT, and after 2 years on the train (and shuttle bus) have had enough. Over the last month, I borrowed a car and have discovered that the drive is MUCH more enjoyable (and shorter) than the train. And after a couple of tickets, I think I finally have parking on the street down to a science.

So my only concern now is that I was planning on purchasing a small convertible of my own to complete my daily trek, but have heard from several people that the car is surely going to be vandalized (top cut open and broken into). None of these people have ever lived in the city, so I'm not 100% sure they know what they are talking about, but they have put the idea into my head . Does anyone have any experience parking a convertible on the streets of NYC (East Midtown area)? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jimmy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 08:22 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,934,251 times
Not only are convertibles with soft tops easy targets, they're FREEZING in the winter.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:25 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
A convertible on the street daily??? A new convertible on the street daily??? Yikes, I would not want the insurance premium on that car! If parking on the street, I'd seriously look into a retractable hard top convertible, either that or get a garage in which to park.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-17-2009, 08:56 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Not only are convertibles with soft tops easy targets, they're FREEZING in the winter.

Actually I have to disagree! I have only owned convertables (2 to be exact) my whole life and I have never been cold in the winter as long as the heat is on. I think they get a little warmer than SUVs since the roof is lower and it makes a little cosier. They actually heat up very fast and stay pretty warm. And I lived in the artic tundra of the NE ohio snow belt. I commuted to school and work every day in my convertable

Old 08-17-2009, 06:27 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,928,168 times
Forget the convertible..... How on earth are you going to find parking in Midtown on the street...????? Better start working overtime for a garage! I can't even stop to drop my granny off at the doctor's office by Park Row. I TRY to avoid stopping/parking in midtown!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,146 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I'm not concerned with the cold weather (I've owned convertibles before). Also, I'm unfortunately unable to afford a hard top convertible, although that would be nice! Currently I'm looking at MR2 spyders (they go for around $9k) and I'm not overly concerned with getting it dinged up.

As I said before, I borrowed my brothers car for a month and found parking surprisingly easy (as long as you park between the hours of 7pm and 8am weekdays. I unfortunately never get out of work much before 7, and am always out of the city by 8.

When you think about it, is there really that much of a difference between cutting open a convertible top and breaking a window to get into a car?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,094 times
Default depends

It all depends on where you park it.

My friend recently (last year) had her early 1990s beige Toyota Corolla's window broken so that they could steal her non-functioning radio/CD player. This was in the lower east side (teens). the same car had it's trunk broken into & contents stolen when parked in Chinatown.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:13 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js82181p View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

When you think about it, is there really that much of a difference between cutting open a convertible top and breaking a window to get into a car?

yes. it doesnt trip the alarm. also its WAY more expensive to replace the whole top than the window.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:55 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Friends of mine mine used to park a Cabrio on the street, since they only had one garage space, and they had an ignition immobilizer, Lo-Jack, and a removable radio. They left absolutely nothing in the vehicle save for some change, and left the doors unlocked. The strategy worked as the top was never cut, and the car was never stolen, but the "tip" they left in the form of the change kept the car intact. It used to be common to see "No Radio" signs in windows of parked cars all over the city, especially Volkswagens that were notoriously easy for a thief to grab a radio in seconds.

There's little that one can do to stop a professional thief from getting the car, but it's the joyrider and/or the property thief that you need to combat. I would upgrade to a detachable faceplate stereo and recommend a Lo-Jack be installed, since many insurance companies give a discount for theft recovery systems. You might also consider a good alarm system that includes pressure sensors, tilt sensors, and a proximity motion sensor (a must for a convertible). The better proximity sensors send out a pre-warning alert to indicate that the car alarm is armed and the perimeter has been breached. This could be annoying in the city, however, if the sensors are too sensitive, hence why a two-stage system might be best that sounds a warning first. One thing, though, with an aftermarket alarm, be sure that you're dealing with a competent installer, not an electronics super store. There are places in Westchester and Fairfield that are competent.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: