Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How did you hear about the WTC terrorattack in New York 9/11-01?
On News/TV/Radio 33 31.43%
Someone called me 10 9.52%
Someone in some place told me 21 20.00%
I was in New York City that day 30 28.57%
Other 10 9.52%
I don't remember 1 0.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 10:21 AM

52 posts, read 233,946 times

Advertisements

Hubby worked downtown on Wall st and he called me and told me to put the TV on. I was home because I was almost in labor...once I the phone went dead (if everyone recalls the phones all stopped working for a while) and I saw the horrifying fall of the towers on TV I went into serious labor and within 32 hours my little angel was born. Talk about the cycle of life and death...my daughters birth was a light in the darkness of that time...my heart goes out to all those that lost their loved ones (especially horrifying to me were those women that were pregnant, because of my own situation at the time...it's like 2 human beings in one...gone in an instant...wow...so unreal!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 06:51 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
Default I had just gotten back

to NY the nite before from visiting my folks who were living in Sun City near Hilton head, SC. You may remember that nite of the 10th we had a severe thunderstorm. My mom wanted me to leave for NY on 9/10 which would have made me return to NY on 9/11; however something told me i should leave on 9/9 instead. I always have the mentality that I should leave a day earlier because "something could happen". Had i left for NY on 9/10, the next AM i would have been on I 95 an hour south of the Pentagon when the plane hit

I had just returned the rental car and had breakfast in an IHOP. After i went into a 99 cent store to pick up a few things. At about 9AM I heard on the radio in the store that a plane had hit the WTC but the report didn't sound that serious. Thought it was a delivery carrier or something. A distraught woman came into the store asking if anyone heard the news.

Walking home, a girl asked me if the subway was running. I asked her why wouldn't it be running. She said something about the plane crash. I assumed it was just a freak accident and couldn't understand why the subway would be closed

then as i got home a limo driver came up to me and told me it was a terrorist attack and that the other tower was hit too.

as i got to my apt, i started to feel really scared, i turned on the radio and heard something about DC. then i e mailed a friend of mine in Alabama and informed him of what happened. we e mailed back and forth for hours

Old 12-06-2009, 08:23 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,337,423 times
I was in school (6th grade), our counselor came in and whispered something in my teacher's ear. She turned on the t.v. and turned it to our local news, the bulletin at the bottom read "World Trade Center hit by commercial airplane." At the young tender age of 12, I didn't know what the World Trade Center was. My teacher started to cry and I'm like "What is she crying for?" She keeps the t.v. on and I think at around 9:10 (sorry if time is wrong) the second plane hit the other WTC building, and she just lost it after that. That was a very sad day, many lives lost. Can't believe it's been eight years!!!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:43 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,640 times
I was in my 4th grade school classroom, working on my cursive writing... my teacher was informed on the PA and she instantly burst into shock, then started crying. It's amazing how I still remember this.

Old 12-07-2009, 08:24 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
I was working on the A train that day. And let me tell you, passing through the station at Chambers Street (deserted, but with footprints running amok visible in the gray dust), that was one of the eeriest moments of my life!

Old 12-07-2009, 08:45 AM

142 posts, read 516,660 times
This reminds me of this thread (http://www.quantnet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384 - broken link) where most of the posters work on Wall Street. It provides a different perspective.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:31 AM

37 posts, read 87,426 times
Just leaving my house, working at Microsoft(this is relevent) Heard on the radio that a plane had hit the WTC. Being from a family with a flying background, i thought, "what dork pilot could manage to hit that building"

I got to work and found that it was a 767. I worked at Boeing before on the 777, and couldnt imagine what a plane that size hitting a building would be like. More like trying to imagin a aluminum can going through a cheesegrater. Horrific.

I worked at Microsoft supporting MSN Money, and other apps, I also routed all the customer requests to the correct dept, so i got to read all of the requests. We had a lot of customers that worked in NYC, and Wall street.

The requests started becoming personal messages for people asking to let certain people know they are all right or havent heard from certain people yet. Then i get this one, from a arabic sounding name, (no offense to anyone) asking if we had a floor plan of the Stock Exchange.

This just sounded to suspicious, especially for that day, so i called the FBI, they can and met with me a hr or so later and took all the info about the requester, and it turned out that they ahd been looking for this guy for a while, Hooray for me.

That week, they grounded all the airplanes, I lived about a half mile from the south end of the runway of Seatac airport. It was strangly quiet that week seeing no planes coming in on final approach or taking off.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:09 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
I was in the lobby of Tower 2 trying to get on the elevator for my second day of work. I arrived out of the train just after the 1st plane hit and was totally oblivious to what happened. I saw the aftermath, but I was too focused on getting to work and not being late because it was my second day. Fortunately the security guard refused me access to the elevator, despite my repeated requests and demands. Tower 2 was hit a couple minutes after.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:17 PM

149 posts, read 615,685 times
I had just gone underground; I had dropped my son off at the babysitter, and then took the J train across the Williamsburg Bridge. That was around 8:30. By the time I came out from underground at my job on 55th and 6th, I had no idea what had happened. In fact, it was business as usual. I didn't hear about anything until I got to the office and the guy at the front desk in the mailroom told me. But I thought it was just a small plane. Then I went down to my department, and it was chaos. One guy's wife worked at WTC, and he was trying to contact her (she was fine), but the phone lines were already messed up.

I couldn't tell what was going on since communication was so limited. It really wasn't until I was able to get home that evening that I could actually see what had happened.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:04 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
I had had a difficult time getting to work that morning. It seemed like everything was going wrong: I woke up with a headache and was moving more slowly than usual; then the zipper in my pants broke; I couldn't find my organizer; etc. When I finally made it to the train, the E was going extremely slowly, with no explanation provided. Thinking I could make up for lost time, I switched to the 6 & then the 4 train. The 4 was also creeping & eventually stopped for more than five minutes just past 23rd St. There was one cryptic announcement telling everyone that the delay was due to a problem at Fulton St. By this time, all the passengers were annoyed and started talking to each other.

One man said that he'd heard that a plane hit the WTC. At first I thought it was an amateur pilot who had had an accident. But then another man said a second plane had also hit the towers. At that point, I thought it was too much of a coincidence & might be terrorism, but wasn't sure. It was around 9:15 when the train was put out of service and everyone was forced to get out at Brooklyn Bridge.

Outside was smoky and cloudy, and dust-covered people were walking around with dazed expressions. Suddenly dozens of people came running, crying and screaming out of City Hall Park, with a huge dust cloud closing in on them. As awful as that was, I still had no concept of the scale of the situation and was still attempting to get to work at Broadway & Park Place. As people headed in the opposite direction gave me bits and pieces of the story, I realized that I just needed to go back home.

By that time, all train service had stopped. So I joined the mass exodus walking uptown. On the way up, someone pointed and said "Look, the tower is falling." Everyone turned around to look. We saw the antenna rock back and forth, and then it just slowly sank. Everyone was still; you could've heard a pin drop. People paused for a couple of minutes trying to take it all in; some were silent, some were crying, others were talking quietly. Then we all regrouped and continued toward our various destinations. I got home around 2:45pm that day.

Last edited by Pivot Point; 12-07-2009 at 10:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City