Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 06:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,843 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I'm a 21 year old grad student about to start business school this January. Can anyone give me some much needed advice on where to find affordable housing on the Upper West Side? I have housing now due to subsidized dorms provided by the school but after December I will be on my own.

I currently don't have income, because I haven't graduated from undergrad yet (I'm on one of those 5-year BS/MBA plans). Right now I'm pulling in $1200/month from 2 part time jobs that are NOT SECURE.

I also have bad credit (partly due to an extremely immature lack of good judgement when I was 18, and partly due to an on-going billing dispute with my phone company). I have about $11,000 saved from part time jobs over the years. So I'm pretty sure I'll get turned down everywhere for rent.

I already checked Craigslist and noticed it's full of scammers (especially the renters claiming no-credit checks). Does anyone know where I can find a place on the west side for about $600-$800? And also credit-check friendly? Does anyone offer weekly payments?

Also, a friend said he needed a place as well. We were thinking about getting a one-bedroom to save money and converting it into 2. Anyone know the best way to go about that?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 08:12 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
When you say a place for $600-800/mo, do you mean an apartment all to yourself or a room? You might be able to swing a room for $800.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 AM

I mean a room all to myself - don't think I can afford an entire apartment by myself at this stage!

Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,639,270 times
So you make $1,200/month working part-time in jobs that are not secured, and plan on spending $800 of it on rent? So that would essentially leave you with $400 for the month, or $100 a week for pretty much everything else? Personally, it doesn't sound like a smart idea to me. What would you do if you lost one of your part time jobs? or even both? And do you really want to live in a broom closet for $800/month if you plan on turning a 1-bedroom into a 2-bedroom?

Are you from NYC? If you are, I would suggest moving back home and continue to save more money and focusing on school first until you can land a full time job.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:25 AM

Really appreciate the response. I'm currently finishing up undergrad at my school in NYC, and going directly into it's graduate program starting January 2010, where I'll be taking both undergrad and graduate courses at the same time. I graduate with a BS next May. But at this stage, they're kicking me out of scholarship-funded dorms and into city apartments.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:32 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,308,105 times
get some roommates, that'd be the perfect solution for you. You probably wont be living on the UWS but you'll still have alot of $ left over if your making 1200 from 2 pt time jobs. The truth is no job is secure, no matter how good it seems anything can happen. Good luck!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
You need 1 roommate, get a cheap 1 bedroom you can split in the Bronx...that's the best move for you.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:33 PM

582 posts, read 763,611 times
if you want to rent a room, I don't see why you are worried about your credit? this is only if you want to rent an apt. anyway, some people require credit check if you want to rent a room in their apt but NOT all of them.
I have seen some good rooms and the owners didn't ask for credit check so it is possible.

have you tried the international house near Columbia? I am not sure they accept applications from US citizens?

are you a female or a male?

Old 11-06-2009, 03:34 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
You need 1 roommate, get a cheap 1 bedroom you can split in the Bronx...that's the best move for you.
Exactly. You can find some really nice,huge 1 br apartments in decent neighborhoods in The Bronx for 1,100 or less.With a little work you might even find a 2 br. With another person it would only be 550/mo each.
Lots of Fordham students( grad and undergrad) in my neighborhood,Pelham Parkway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: