Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:18 AM

36 posts, read 126,058 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I don't know if there is a thread like this one, but I wanted to ask a few questions. For those who have moved recently to the NYC area from more humble places (I'm in Oklahoma City), how was your move? what initial "shocks" did you come across? I'm in media/journalism/PR and I know to excel in my career I need to make the move. I've been working toward this, and even though I'm very proud of earning my Masters, I'm kind of kicking myself for going to grad school instead of moving in '05 when I graduated college the first time and the economy was better, and I was younger! Yeah, that's me saying "Doh!" Homer style.

I'm 26 now, and I want to make the move while I'm still single, childless and petless. My only property is a car I purchased last year and a queen sized bed (lol!) everything else can go. Honestly, I'm scared that as a southwesterner I'll be taken advantage of, scammed, slow or that it will take me forever to learn how to use the subway. For those of you who transitioned, what were some of the things you did to help ease into becoming a New Yorker?
How did you have your stuff moved? How easy/difficult was it for to you get an apartment (because here in OKC, it's super easy and half the time, they don't do a check because people are so trusting) did you sublet or live in a hostel?
Were you broke? how long did it take you to adjust to the cost of living? (In my last apt in OKC, I paid $400 for about 700 sqft & free cable; in Dallas, I paid $700, though market was $834, for about the same amount of space but no cable! haha)
How did your superiors at work rate your performance? did they think you were slow-paced?

Basically, to the people from modest places, how did you prepare yourself for the transition?

Thanks, guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 04:55 AM

154 posts, read 535,887 times
I can tell you one thing... get rid of the car. Parking and insurance in NYC costs alot of money.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:12 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace09 View Post
I can tell you one thing... get rid of the car. Parking and insurance in NYC costs alot of money.
Agreed....in fact EVERYTHING costs way more in NYC when you move from a more "humble" place. Higher standards and costs of living is simply what it comes down to.

$400 a month on rent for 700sqft? $400 will get you someones closet. Ok I'm exaggeratting but if you happen to find a place like that in NYC then its either because you're sharing a 500sq ft studio with 2-3 people or you're in an area where you hear gunshots every night.

With that said I would hope you have a job in hand already before you move. Depending on what you do, you'll probalby be making way more than what you were in OK City so you could be ok.

Good luck NYC is a great place for a 26yr old Expect everything to be more fast paced. You may think people are rude but they're really not, its just everyone is set in their own agenda during each day and everyone is always rushing to get from one place to another.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:04 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
I suggest moving to one of the outer boroughs, Brooklyn or Queens to be safe, though some parts of da Bronx are equally safe, the rents might be slightly cheaper. NYC is super-expensive and to paraphrase OP "$400 will get you the kitchen or bathroom only". An example on the cheap end, a 550 sqft studio on a first floor somewhere will run you about $1,450 and up in Manhattan. That said, NYC is a fun place to be.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:38 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heygirlhey View Post
I'm 26 now, and I want to make the move while I'm still single, childless and petless. My only property is a car I purchased last year and a queen sized bed (lol!) everything else can go. Honestly, I'm scared that as a southwesterner I'll be taken advantage of, scammed, slow or that it will take me forever to learn how to use the subway. For those of you who transitioned, what were some of the things you did to help ease into becoming a New Yorker?
Get rid of your car you will never afford it here. Plus its not like you live somewhere within an hour that you can drive home to. I left my car back in Cleveland and lets just say my family loves having the convertible in the summer.

Quote:
How did you have your stuff moved? How easy/difficult was it for to you get an apartment (because here in OKC, it's super easy and half the time, they don't do a check because people are so trusting) did you sublet or live in a hostel?
I bought all my furniture in Ohio and moved it here. I got all my decorations and such here. Moving cost us a small fortune because they have to take a certain size truck into manhattan. I'd say it cost us like $1700 to move all my stuff (bed, couch, table, dresser, night table, little kitchen table, tv and a few other pieces) from Cleveland.

I found it very easy to find an apartment. You just have to be realistic about your budget and search for apartment that are actually in it. We came out and stayed in a hotel about a month before I moved in and apartment searched. We ended up LOVING the very first one and it was very easy.

Quote:
Were you broke? how long did it take you to adjust to the cost of living? (In my last apt in OKC, I paid $400 for about 700 sqft & free cable; in Dallas, I paid $700, though market was $834, for about the same amount of space but no cable! haha)
How did your superiors at work rate your performance? did they think you were slow-paced?
I am going to school and after my parents paid we found out I got a few scholarships and we were refunded about $3600 which my parents let me keep for living money. It pretty much lasted the whole time. I would of DEFINITELY had money left over if I had not spent it so carelessly on shopping and such. So that money lasted from August till about now.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
If you don't already have a job lined up before the move, one question you should be asking is how much money you need to have in savings in order to make the transition.

I don't know the answer, but it should probably be something like 6 months of living expenses, including 6 months rent plus money for broker's fee, security deposit and last months rent.

So if the apartment is $1000 a month, you need to have $4000 (fee, deposit, first and last) and then an additional $5,000 for the next 5 months = $9,000 for rent and costs associated with rent alone.

The other expenses you can figure out by reading previous threads on budgets on this forum. There have been numerous threads on this subject lately.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:56 PM

Thanks everyone for the insight. I appreciate hearing from everyone!

LOL @ $400 getting me a bathroom or a kitchen! I know the cost of living is going to be super high, but I understand that comes along with living in a bigger city...I was paying double in Dallas than in OKC for the same sized apt. At the same time, I know that's going to be the big thing that I'm going to have to get used to budgeting in my monthly expenses. I was most interested in Queens.

I planned on leaving my car in OKC for at least 3 months (you never know when you won't have a job after the 90 day trial period!) and after that having my mom or sister sell it for me and paying off the loan.

I don't have a job yet, I'm doing the preliminary research, so that I can be prepared when the time comes that I've saved enough money and have secured a job. Hopefully, summer 2010.

Aside from saving money, what were some of the other things you guys did to help prepare yourselves for the move and/or culture shock of NYC?

Old 12-09-2009, 08:24 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,989 times
Quote:
Aside from saving money, what were some of the other things you guys did to help prepare yourselves for the move and/or culture shock of NYC?
Well, I can't say much about culture shock, seeing as I grew up here and all. A couple of things, though:

1) Live in Brooklyn or Queens (or the Bronx, though I'm not too familiar with the Bronx). This is not a suggestion. Manhattan is a fun place to visit, and you will probably be working there, but it's not worth the extra cost. Also, I work in journalism and have many friends who do, too. Hardly any live in Manhattan.
2) Ditch the car. I have car in Brooklyn, but I was more sure of my expenses when I moved here from the 'burbs, I have family in the area that I visit frequently, and I'm accustomed to NYC driving/parking. Transplants are often kind of shocked by it, I find.

Also - this one deserves it's own paragraph - the job market for journalism is horrible. You probably already know this, but it bears repeating. I'm in a pretty decent position, and I worry about my job sometimes. Starting salaries are pretty low, too, even here - the best you could probably hope for is around 40k. Now, you can live a nice, comfortable life as a single person in the outer boroughs on 40k (you'll very likely need a roommate or two, though), but it will not be the glamorous New York you see in the movies and on TV. This doesn't bother me in the slightest, seeing as I never wanted that life. But set your expectations appropriately.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:30 PM

904 posts, read 2,872,989 times
Oh, and rent-wise - a roommate situation in a decent (read: safe, for the 'hip' areas you'll pay more) will run at least around $600 or so per month. That is the bare, bare minimum - I actually would not even consider an apartment that is advertised for less than that, as it's probably in a horrible area, a horrible apartment, or a scam. Realistically, it's more like $750-$800. And remember, this is for a bedroom with a roommate in the outer boroughs. Manhattan will run higher, and if you're going to be working in journalism/media, I wouldn't even bother looking there.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:41 AM

Neon, thanks! Yeah, I keep reading that the industry is not great...so, I'm also waiting for the dust to settle to see what the outcome is going to be while trying to save some cash. It's unsettling!
After reading everyone's comments, I know I need to look at a living situation outside of Manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City