Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2007, 12:40 PM

15 posts, read 106,671 times

Advertisements

(I know JS is not in NYC, but since this forum is very active and lot of Jersey residents post in this forum, I posted here)

Hello everyone!

I am looking to rent a house long term in the Journal square area (at intersection of Academy St & Summit Ave). It's right next to Jersey City Municipal Court.

Need your honest opinion -

1) How is the crime rate there overall? (i.e. would you be very worried if your gf had to walk home from PATH station by herself around 8-9pm)

2) Is it getting any better in terms of crime?

3) If you'd compare it to any neighborhood in NYC, what it would be?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 04:12 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Journal Square isn't that bad, however if you want a perfectly safe neighborhood in JC you need to keep it to the east of the Turnpike and to the south of the Holland Tunnel. This is the area around the Exchange place and Grove St stations. Of course these areas are much more pricey than Journal square.

Lots of different people live in the journal square area. Jersey City is a very multi-racial city. Lots of Phillipinos, Indians, Blacks, Hispanics, & Whites live around Journal Square. Its not a perfectly safe area, but isn't too bad by JC standards. I would be less concerned with violent crime and more concerned with my car being stolen off the street if I lived in that neighborhood (as this is quite commonplace in this area of NJ). The car thefts are common because lots of gangs (and probably the mob as well) run rackets where they steal cars and drive them over to Port Newark so that they are shipped out of the country to Latin America and Europe.

The town of Harrison (one stop and 10 minutes) farther down the PATH line is pretty nice. Perfectly safe town even though it is right next to Newark. Lots of different people live in Harrison, whites, Asians, hispanics, and the Portuguese. The largest Portuguese/Brazilian neighborhood is right next door to Harrison in the Ironbound section of Newark. The Ironbound is also a pretty decent neighborhood but is not too welcoming to people who don't speak Portuguese.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 PM

15 posts, read 106,671 times
Thank you so much for taking your time to explain everything. This is very helpful

I found a really nice 2 story house (4 br + yard) for only $1500 and it is only 2 blocks from Path. I think I will take it because I miss having a yard (I am from CA) and BBQ. There is only 1 block of walk which concerns me a bit, but walk down the Bergen Ave seemed ok.

Hopefully my car will be ok (not planning to buy anything fancy), but the house is adjacent to the Municipal Court (with constant police presence) so hopefully that will serve as deterrant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City