Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 09:07 AM

149 posts, read 358,361 times

Advertisements

Okay.

I am looking to seriously cut some costs, but I really want to live in a good building (which likely means I will pay dearly).

I am scared to use craigslist-does anyone have good tips for finding a good roommate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 08:24 PM

17 posts, read 40,885 times
Hey LuvLux,
I found this thing on Craigslist: here it's a mixer roommate seeker thing in all of the different buroughs I believe. I'm going to the one in Astoria tomorrow to see how it goes. I'm looking for a place in Queens to move to or to move into an apartment and acquire roommates myself (I live in Woodside now, but my current roommates are crazy and I need to move out soon.) It's true looking for roommates sucks bigtime, or looking for a place to live sucks even more. Every time I visit someone's place on Craigslist to visit a room they have for rent, and I like the place, I feel like I'm begging them to like me, or pick me as a roommate and it feels pathetic. Or I'll visit a place and the living situation is weird and there are all sorts of rules and crap pasted all over the cabinets, bathrooms, and other things. Or I'll visit a place and it will be some sort of huge foreign family living somewhere with tons of small children running everywhere, and they're trying to save some money by having someone else move in with them- I saw 4 places like that on Craigslist. Anyway. I feel your pain, good luck on finding a good roommate, and check out that link, maybe the mixer thing will be worth your time.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:50 AM

6 posts, read 23,565 times
im looking for the same thing. Why not just start one here?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:30 AM

185 posts, read 457,422 times
yeah starting one here could be interesting. I wonder what the demographics are on this board? I myself am a 25 yr old guy who will be looking (possibly) for a roommate after the new year. Same thing, I want to live in the city in a nice safe building which is going to be $$$$.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:01 PM

149 posts, read 358,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demifess View Post
Hey LuvLux,
I found this thing on Craigslist: here it's a mixer roommate seeker thing in all of the different buroughs I believe. I'm going to the one in Astoria tomorrow to see how it goes. I'm looking for a place in Queens to move to or to move into an apartment and acquire roommates myself (I live in Woodside now, but my current roommates are crazy and I need to move out soon.) It's true looking for roommates sucks bigtime, or looking for a place to live sucks even more. Every time I visit someone's place on Craigslist to visit a room they have for rent, and I like the place, I feel like I'm begging them to like me, or pick me as a roommate and it feels pathetic. Or I'll visit a place and the living situation is weird and there are all sorts of rules and crap pasted all over the cabinets, bathrooms, and other things. Or I'll visit a place and it will be some sort of huge foreign family living somewhere with tons of small children running everywhere, and they're trying to save some money by having someone else move in with them- I saw 4 places like that on Craigslist. Anyway. I feel your pain, good luck on finding a good roommate, and check out that link, maybe the mixer thing will be worth your time.
Thanks the for the reply! Yes, I plan to attend one of those events. I'm just sick of the craigslist game. I know it's hard to really get a feel for people online but I just haven't seen anything (or person) that appeals to me. I think posting your stats here is a good idea and maybe someone can send a private message if they're interested.

Another thing I noticed on craigs list is people from out of town respond a lot. I don't want to do all the footwork and paper work for a roommate I haven't seen. Good luck everyone!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:26 PM

22 posts, read 85,227 times
Me too!!

I was in Astoria last night to look another place, took one look at it and ran the other way!

I totally forgot about the meetup thing until after it was over!

I am a 29 year old female, beauty professional. Looking to move in Oct 1 or Dec 1 2010. Very easygoing, no drugs, no drama etc. Looking in Astoria, Brooklyn, or Hoboken. Other areas ok as long as they are easy to get in/out of on the train, safe day/night for a single girl, and allows pets (small dog) I can pay up to 800/mo.

Please pm me! This could work out really well. Lol

Julie

Old 09-13-2010, 02:51 PM

The event went well, it lasted from 5-7 but I showed up @ 6 pm. I met some nice people, but corresponding with people online and then arranging a meet-up to see if you get along with or potential roommates is a good idea. There are too many roommate horror stories, and personal experiences, to keep moving in with random people.
Personally, I'm looking for a 3 bedroom place, I've been going out every other day and looking at places, and I'm hoping to get two other roommates to join me. I mean if anyone's interested, I'll do the leg work and find the place, but I'll probably end up getting the smallest/cheapest room. Which I think is fair if the apartment is under my name, and I put the effort into finding, etc.

If anyone is interested, I'm looking at 3 bedroom places $1800 and under and the prices would be $800-$750 and $600-$550 for the large and medium rooms. Or something like that. I'm looking to move Oct. 1st or sooner. I'm female, 26, studying to be a PTA at LaGuardia Community College. Currently I'm in Woodside, Queens and would like to stay there or Astoria, Grand Ave., East Elmhurst, Flushing near the 7 train, etc.
I think it's fine to have people spend the night- as long as the other person doesn't abuse it and have their friend move in without telling anyone, those no visitors ever thing is something I see on Craigslist all the time, and I think it's silly. I don't want to live with a couple or family members. It sounds harsh, but I've lived in both situations, and those were the worst! The couple, family would gang up on the extra roommate and treat them like crap, me and if there was another roommate, them too. I don't mind girlfriends, boyfriends visiting as long as it doesn't sound like an orgy in your bedroom I don't care. Sometimes I would like to have my book club over at my place, and use the living room as a common area, where there could be some quiet/classy get togethers sometimes. I'm not talking about crazy parties, I'm not into those. I also think those ads on Craigslist are weird that say, no cooking in the kitchen, or "light cooking" only. It's weird, if you have a kitchen, you should be able to use it. As long as the person isn't a slob and washes and puts away their own dishes, takes out the trash occasionally, etc. I'm fine with the person. Anyway.

If anyone is interested, I'm gonna be looking at a few places, and I'm ideally trying to get a 3 bedroom place, so if anyone wants to pm me and ask me any questions about myself, or to tell me about yourself, or is interested in being roommates together let me know.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:50 PM

42 posts, read 100,424 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is another meet up in Prospect Heights this Sunday the 19th correct? I really want to go to the meetup - I'm looking for a room, but I don't think I will make it on time. I'm arriving from San Diego on the same day, but at 5pm at JFK, but I still need to check in at NY Loft Hostel.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:03 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
They definitely need a recurring mixer for Harlem/Southern Bronx. It's a great idea.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:04 PM

Ugh Craigslist is a bust. Is October 1st a busy month for people looking for rooms? Almost every place I've contacted has had the room taken before I've even had the chance to go see it or meet anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City