Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2010, 07:48 AM

3 posts, read 4,884 times

Advertisements

So this morning I was awakened at about 3:45 a.m. by a Latino woman screaming and crying in front of my house, she was walking/running from two Latino men from Albion Place to Washington Place to Anderson and Simonson- Usually a very quiet section of Port Richmond.... So the men were trying to coax her into their dark Blue Cargo van. They were telling her to shut up and get back in the van- This was very disturbing to me, since one man was in the van and was driving alongside her. When I yelled out to them, she was yelling at the men , but walking away crying and not stop to accept my help. I was yelling to them to leave her alone from my window and that they need to leave since I called the police. Can you believe that none of neighbors came out!

I called 911 and gave them my number- they never called me back!
I waited about 10-15 minutes and went outside with my dog and mace and walked up the block on Port Richmond avenue to get look for one of the police officers, so at approx. 4 a.m.- 4:05 to be exact! there was no cops in sight!

This is Port Richmond- where is one when you need them??
only one car which was empty at the corner of Charles Ave and Port Richmond ave and the Surveillance truck parked nearby. And two men actually passed drugs- or what looked like it-in front of the empty cop car... I continued back to my house on Washington Place and finally saw a cop car turning from Post ave towards Decker Avenue- basically the opposite direction, which I told the police , the van was going.

I am disgusted with the lack of police response and concerned for the woman's safety- I couldn't sleep after that. i have made a complaint to the 120 Precinct and left a message for the Community Affairs officers and will be contacting my councilwoman, Ms. Rose, Monday morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 09:03 AM

442 posts, read 1,297,021 times
and out in queens they got plenty off time to harass high school kids. priorities a little mixed up i guess

Old 10-16-2010, 09:14 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,021 times
Mind your own business next time. These people knew each other so it sounds like. It's not worth getting involved, it just isn't. She didn't want your help, that right there says it all. How dare you bring your dog outside with mace? what is wrong with you? You over reacted...

Nothing more pathetic then seeing a couple fighting or arguing loudly in the street. A few weeks ago I was awoken at 3:00am by screams, I look out of my window and see a man and a women wrestling on the sidewalk, after awhile I realized that they lived on the corner, they eventually both went home until about an hour later I heard more screams coming from their house..

Old 10-16-2010, 10:13 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
I guess you didn't tell them the victim was an illegal.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:12 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
Mind your own business next time. These people knew each other so it sounds like. It's not worth getting involved, it just isn't. She didn't want your help, that right there says it all. How dare you bring your dog outside with mace? what is wrong with you? You over reacted...

Good advice. be lucky u didnt get a bullet in the head for interferring. FOlks have gotten their head crack open for a whole lot less.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:37 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,484 times
I "interfere" all the time, I just don't let anyone know it was me. If you're fighting in the street in the middle of the night and the police come out of nowhere to get you, you can bet it was me who called them. You interrupt my sleep and I'll interrupt your fight.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:26 PM

149 posts, read 358,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I "interfere" all the time, I just don't let anyone know it was me. If you're fighting in the street in the middle of the night and the police come out of nowhere to get you, you can bet it was me who called them. You interrupt my sleep and I'll interrupt your fight.

I try to interfere from a safe distance, or at least in broad daylight when other people are around. I understand why people would be apprehensive though.

Old 10-16-2010, 06:29 PM

149 posts, read 358,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRpositive View Post
So this morning I was awakened at about 3:45 a.m. by a Latino woman screaming and crying in front of my house, she was walking/running from two Latino men from Albion Place to Washington Place to Anderson and Simonson- Usually a very quiet section of Port Richmond.... So the men were trying to coax her into their dark Blue Cargo van. They were telling her to shut up and get back in the van- This was very disturbing to me, since one man was in the van and was driving alongside her. When I yelled out to them, she was yelling at the men , but walking away crying and not stop to accept my help. I was yelling to them to leave her alone from my window and that they need to leave since I called the police. Can you believe that none of neighbors came out!

I called 911 and gave them my number- they never called me back!
I waited about 10-15 minutes and went outside with my dog and mace and walked up the block on Port Richmond avenue to get look for one of the police officers, so at approx. 4 a.m.- 4:05 to be exact! there was no cops in sight!

This is Port Richmond- where is one when you need them??
only one car which was empty at the corner of Charles Ave and Port Richmond ave and the Surveillance truck parked nearby. And two men actually passed drugs- or what looked like it-in front of the empty cop car... I continued back to my house on Washington Place and finally saw a cop car turning from Post ave towards Decker Avenue- basically the opposite direction, which I told the police , the van was going.

I am disgusted with the lack of police response and concerned for the woman's safety- I couldn't sleep after that. i have made a complaint to the 120 Precinct and left a message for the Community Affairs officers and will be contacting my councilwoman, Ms. Rose, Monday morning.
You know, I see more cops on an almost hourly basis in nyc than I've ever seen in any other city. But (no offense here) 90 percent of them appear to be tottaly useless. I heard it is not a very well paid job and I used to think there was some sort of fitness test one needed to pass. But in NYC it seems like a very um...inclusive...police force. I guess that explains why they're so trigger happy

Old 10-16-2010, 07:21 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLux2010 View Post
You know, I see more cops on an almost hourly basis in nyc than I've ever seen in any other city. But (no offense here) 90 percent of them appear to be tottaly useless. I heard it is not a very well paid job and I used to think there was some sort of fitness test one needed to pass. But in NYC it seems like a very um...inclusive...police force. I guess that explains why they're so trigger happy

Agreed. Most uniformed cops just drive around, give tickets and take entirely too long to answer calls. Every once in a blue you come across a couple uniformed cops who want to be detective and they'll pull you over or stop you while walking on the street and harass you. Most of the time, nobody takes them seriously. I can't tell you how many people I've known who have no problem walking by blue and white cops cars with weed on them or even rolled up and sitting behind their ear, lol. Their chance of getting away with it are quite high.

The undercover detectives are something completely else though. Those dudes are Grade-A harassers. They'll stop ANYONE for any made up BS reason and just pray to God they have something illegal on them.

It's like the undercovers are too aggressive and the uniformed cops aren't aggressive enough. You would think they somehow would have learned to establish some kind of middleground by now.

At the end of the day though, and this is significant, I've never met a cop that I felt like cared even a tiny bit about the communities in which they serve. I've met cool cops, funny cops, easygoing cops, etc... But at no point did I think they gave a f**k about anything but their careers. Then again, maybe that's normal. The media gives them the 'hero' tag. But I'm sure 99% join for the benefits and gun license. Who am I to knock that?

Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,884 times
Default Interfer?

I guess calling 911 and yelling at the men to 'leave her alone' is interfering? Does anyone think its strange that two men, one in a van, was trying to grab the woman and get her into the cargo van- I don't care if she knew them or not!

Considering that my community is being overrun with cops- and some community leaders say its ONLY BIAS CRIMES HERE- I know better and will not even bother to call 911 next time- just take care of it. Later I found out that one other neighbor called and no response.

There are good and bad cops in every professions, but if no one reports things like this then this only continues...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: