Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 02:21 PM

6 posts, read 16,609 times

Advertisements

ITHACA residents, please reply to this post regarding a same-sex couple and their daughter moving to/living in the Ithaca area. A Lesbian couple and their daughter now living in California have asked under the Buffalo city forum herein, what area/town in Cattaragus & Chautauqua counties might be liberal enough for them to be accepted or comfortable living there. I understand that Ithaca-Tompkins county may be (a good alternative to those other counties) liberal and accepting enough for a same-sex couple to live there and be quite happy and comfortable in Ithaca. What about the Ithaca schools for their daughter? Would she be harassed? Your opinions about Ithaca can be posted here or under the Buffalo forum where that family originally posted their question. (I am not that couple).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 07:02 PM

36 posts, read 118,733 times
I dont live in Ithaca but Ithaca is no doubt the best choice for a same sex couple in Upstate, NY

Old 08-12-2010, 08:03 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Same sex couples were common and unremarkable 30 years ago when I was in elementary school there. We even had MLK day off years before it became a national holiday.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:45 AM

172 posts, read 847,032 times
Seriously, it's not even going to turn heads. Ithaca has been a popular choice for same sex couples for years.

As for the schools, they're fairly well respected (they've been on that top 1000 high school list every year it's been published). If there's any complaint to be made, it's about the taxes. But then, Buffalo has the same issue.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:22 AM

140 posts, read 731,845 times
Default same sex couples in Ithaca

as the above poster indicated: "...it's not even going to turn heads." Could not have said it better myself.

as far as schools, Ithaca has consistently rated above-average in state achievement tests. They have a huge tax base, therefore a lot of money is invested into providing quality education for students, and they certainly deliver. Their daughter is going to be another "non-issue,"

Ithaca is a beautiful environment although winter's are long, cold, snowy and very dreary. The other seasons are great. Culture, political activity abounds. A very progressive community. Also has great medical care; good transportation; lots of fabulous restaurants, farmer's markets, on and on.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:36 AM

286 posts, read 1,118,794 times
Yup, what everyone else said. I have friends (a lesbian couple) who specifically moved to Ithaca from NYC when they were getting ready to start a family.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:25 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
Seriously, I laughed so hard seeing this subject line. Not laughing at the OP, since they're unfamiliar with the area, but this one is on the order of "Is the Pope Catholic?" :-)

Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,603 times
What about Cornell University? Are lesbians couple accepted there?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57karen View Post
What about Cornell University? Are lesbians couple accepted there?
It's a Northeast college campus........obviously, short of a major Northeast/CA city, I can't think of a more Liberal place. You'll have a hard time finding anyone who would even admit to being biased against them, much willing to openly discriminate/treat them poorly. Simply put, you'd get killed by the rest of the students.

Hell, Cornell has an entire office entirely for it: About the Center , and if I remember correctly they were even offering mixed-gender housing at some point. It isn't a socially conservative place.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:10 PM

286 posts, read 1,118,794 times
Ithaca, Cornell, and Ithaca College are so intermeshed that pretty much whatever applies to one will apply to all. I know a number of LGBT folks who work at the university and, while I'll grant that I present as a cis straight female so I might not hear all the dirty laundry, I haven't heard any complaints. It's a big college in a college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York