Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 11:35 AM

25 posts, read 100,564 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've spent a lot of time in each of these areas, including during winter weather, but would like to get some resident's comments on road conditions in rural areas (i.e., not talking about downtown Ithaca or Oneonta, etc.) of the general Sullivan/ Delaware/Chenango/ Otsego/Cortland/Tompkins county region. Just would be interested in hearing what some locals have to say regarding frequency of truly slippery roads (i.e., icy or a slick layer of slush underlying some snow- as frequently happens here in NJ when they salt but then allow several inches of snow to accumulate on it before plowing) that are a cause of concern even for a seasoned winter driver with good techniques and a good vehicle with good tires? or of snow depths/blowing/drifting to a point that travel becomes questionable or challenging? Commentary on state vs. county vs. town roads also of interest as there is obviously a difference in the level of maintenance provided between NYSDOT on an interstate vs. unpaved road maintained by the town etc.

As I said I've spent quite a bit of time in these areas in winter including storms/LE and never encountered anything that I didn't feel perfectly comfortable driving in as far as depth of snow or slippery conditions, but would like to hear some residents' feedback on how often these types of conditions actually occur in this region. My experience is that NY highway depts and NYSDOT are by far the best in terms of winter road maintenance, but still there must be times when it gets bad for a couple hours when the snow is heavy and drifting or before they get out to treat slippery conditions.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 02:12 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,794,705 times
Having lived both there and away I would say things are typically better on NY county and town roads than even in nearby PA. In NY they know that you need to actually plow the road before the snow gets beaten down to ice. (Or, perhaps more fairly, they know from long experience that you need to have enough equipment and crews to do that.)

Watch out for the sign "seasonal limited use highway" though, or for the bump at the end of the road where that sign used to be that means "not plowed or sanded" in NY bureaucratic speak.

Drifting snow can sometimes get ahead of the road crews even in NY, watch out for roads wide open to the northwest or west.

Old 01-09-2011, 04:45 PM

25 posts, read 100,564 times
Thanks, yes I would agree with what you said ki0eh! Basically looking for info from locals on their experiences with how frequently or infrequently it gets "bad". You know, worrying if your tires will break loose even just creeping down a steep hill, encountering enough snow depth/drifting that busting through starts to become questionable, or having to keep speeds extremely low for extended periods even on level to moderate terrain. Also would be interested in commentary on experiences with some of the hilly terrain.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:01 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,425,045 times
I have much winter experience driving in Chenango/Delaware Counties and feel that they usually do a good job keeping up with road conditions. The worst driving conditions I encountered in the area were on I-88 last year. On a Sunday afternoon there were no plows in sight and blowing snow was a problem. That was a slow ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York