Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 AM

2 posts, read 12,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakas80 View Post
I would say drugs are a problem in many school districts in the area. Used to be that Newburgh and Middletown were the ones of concern but that was 15-20 years ago. I have heard the stories of Warwick's issue and would say this is mainly due to the riff-raff that usually generates from the Greenwood Lake area. Monroe Woodbury has had a major problem in the last ten years, with kids as young as 6th grade getting caught with Meth and Oxycontin. They are usually good at keeping this stuff under wraps as not to ruin the reputation of the school. Cant speak to much to VC or Goshen districts but would caution moving to the Goshen area for various other reasons besides choice of school systems. Think about any private schools?
Wow! That was a rough and unfair statement. Not only is GWL not filled with Riff-Raff, but GWL students don't even attend Warwick Valley HS. They attend Baker HS in Tuxedo...so, WVHS's drug problems are all their own. That being said, Warwick HS is still a great school. And, the entire TOWN of Warwick is wonderful place for raising children.
Signed a proud Laker!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 12:01 PM

468 posts, read 583,287 times
ccc123 I can clarify "caution against moving" to the Goshen area. goshen/Monroe/Newburgh/Greenwood lake/Middletown are ALL in Orange County, NY. For the past 20 years there has been a cast of "politician" characters that have DESTROYED "quality of life" by high taxation due to an EXPANDING bureaucracy that in essence gives NO quality service in return.
The Monroe-Woodbury school system is a massive BLACK Hole where 13Mill of taxpayer money was pilfered and put aside in banks by the Superintendent. Valley view Nursing home, a taxpaid for service being closed down DESPITE taxpayers clearly stating THIS is where I want my tax$$$$ to go not, the county executives 60k+ souped up SUV.
The County DA Phillips? He has been cited by the NYS supreme court for civil rights violation YET Executive Ed Diana keeps him on. Ed Diana right hand man Deprospo? He and his lawyer girlfriend have hustled and elderly woman for millions, why is he still on taxapyers payroll??
The short of it: NOBODY SHOULD MOVE ANYWHERE NEAR ORANGE COUNTY, NY until the corrupt politicians are removed. You are just moving to a tax black hole with NO services for your money supporting a huge bureaucracy paying their bills, with nothing in return to show for it.

If you want a quite wholesome life with minimal bureaucrat interference, who amount to taxation and nothing else: ORANGE COUNTY N.Y. is not it!!!!
PS I called to get an extra telephone line, from the local Frontier Telephone Co., FIVE dollars just in taxes + surcharges(which is another way of saying taxes).........Forget Orange County, nobody in their right mind should want to move to New York State period. It is another CA. Taxes and taxes and more taxes, with just about every government politician double dipping, and just a dead weight do nothings.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 636 times
Thumbs up Montgomery Elementary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metar28 View Post
My husband and I are looking at property to purchase so we can build a home. We have narrowed it down to 2 parcels of land. One is in the Goshen Central School District and the other is Valley Central. I am torn between the two. I've always heard good things about Goshen schools. I haven't heard anything bad about Valley Central schools, only that they are a very "athletically focused" district. I do like that they have a swim team...Goshen doesn't have a pool. But, pool or no pool, I'm more interested in a good school environment that has academically challenging courses first and a wide variety of school activities second. Any opinions out there to help me choose between the two districts?
Metar-how has your experience been with Montgomery Elem? We just moved into the VC district. We have the choice of the kids attending a private school in Pine Bush we love as well, but wouldn't mind saving the money if Montgomery looks like a great school. Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York