Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 01:46 PM

19 posts, read 46,659 times

Advertisements

I was fired from a job in Feb. The employer missed the deadline to dispute it, so I began getting unemployment checks. After the deadline passed they filed paperwork to dispute it and my checks got cut off. Why even bother having a deadline that apparently means nothing? I posted a handwritten note on a Wednesday saying the job sucked, and was sent home for the rest of my shift and told to come back on my next scheduled workday which was Friday. In this meeting I specifically asked if I was being fired and they said no. I was told that my punishment was missing the rest of my shift. I was also told that it was solely my decision on whether or not I was to remain employed there. On Friday, I called out and said I wasnt feeling well and wouldnt be in that day. I called out 3 hours in advance and I had plenty of sick time to use. About 4-5 hours later I was called and told that I was being fired. It seems to me I was being fired for calling out, since I was already told I would not be fired for posting the note. Posting the note was in violation of company policy, so that was the reason they denied my unemployment. My questions are, do I have a leg to stand on in appealing this decision? And 2, would it be worthwhile to obtain an attorney? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 08:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
The state will start paying UI while the employer is responding to your claim against the business. As an employer, I can assure you thay NYS asks for proof as to what happened. You should have received a letter stating why you UI was discontinued. The question here is whether you legitimately were fired with cause or whether you quit or whether you were fired without cause. Whatever reason given on the letter is what you have to fight.

I had one former employee show up at a hearing with his legal aid attorney. I had more info on the former employee than he gave his attorney (in his effort to sway his case he withheld key info which would implicate him on a bigger violation.)

You can try to fight it. -- I am a firm believer in standing up for oneself -- but you had best be sure you take into account any earlier issues ie excessive lateness or absences, issues with clients, etc. Have solid evidence to support yourself.

Whatever you do -- don't lie on the forms. I had a former employee who did that and I had more than enough evidence to prove he lied. The state will ban you from collecting UI for 2 years if caught lying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York