Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 04:53 PM

86 posts, read 206,762 times

Advertisements

Having lived in the Hudson Valley my whole life, I am interested to see what other think. Every region seems to have its own slightly different culture and unique things that go along with that. What makes the Hudson Valley unique?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 10:58 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
I currently live in Norwalk, CT. Occasionally, I have taken day trips into the Hudson Valley area, as far north as Poughkeepsie, in the summer time. Personally, I think it's an absolutely beautiful area. I didn't think Newburgh was that nice though. I've been to 37 states and think that NY is one of the most beautiful, whether it's Long Island or Buffalo.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:11 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,662,529 times
Indian Point!

Old 02-09-2014, 10:17 PM

9,172 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default What are some unique aspects of the Hudson Valley?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
Having lived in the Hudson Valley my whole life, I am interested to see what other think. Every region seems to have its own slightly different culture and unique things that go along with that. What makes the Hudson Valley unique?
One of the more interesting things about the Hudson Valley is that it actually is a full fledged valley. What I mean by that is many places in the East are called valleys but are actually surrounded by mostly flat land. In contrast, the Hudson Valley is actually surrounded by mountains.

You have the Catskills to the west, the Taconics, Greens & Berkshires to the East, the Adirondacks to the North and across the southern end, you have the Hudson Highlands.And those mountains contain a lot of public park land.

In addition the Hudson Valley is one of the most oldest and historic regions in America.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:34 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
It is probably one of the most unknown places of extreme natural beauty in the lower 48.

I once told a friend from California that I was going to New York on vacation and that I was looking forward to seeing the lower Hudson Valley. Her response was, "Ewwww! Isn't the Hudson like an industrial wasteland?" I showed here some pictures from around Bear Mountain and Boscobel and she thought I was pulling her chain. In fact she thought they were from the Pacific Northwest at first.

The geography and natural beauty of NY is really under appreciated outside the region. And even within it in many cases. I have know a lot of northeasterners from NY and NE who take the region for granted and think there is nothing beautiful east of the Rockies.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:29 AM

214 posts, read 197,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The geography and natural beauty of NY is really under appreciated outside the region. And even within it in many cases. I have know a lot of northeasterners from NY and NE who take the region for granted and think there is nothing beautiful east of the Rockies.
Agreed. One of my favorite things to do is to just take leisure drives. Extremely beautiful vistas traveling on 32, 9W, Taconic, etc...I preach the natural beauty to all who believe there is nothing to New York north of Westchester&Rockland. If one manages to venture on to the West Point campus, even that small microcosm has plenty of natural beauty.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:55 AM

68 posts, read 133,164 times
I have literally just moved to this area with my husband and three year old - currently staying with friends in Napanoch. Husband works in Kingston and we're trying to get a grip on where we can/should look for a rental home. When I told people in my native England is was moving here they all gasped "But you said you'd never go back to big city living!" Seriously people lol? T.V! Having taken virtual tours they're getting the point. It's absolutely gorgeous here and my husband's photography and hiking itch is twitching. He's from Indiana but we just spent three and a half years in Virginia. We're now looking to combine mountain beauty with a little - how to say this - more tolerant culture? I think we're going to like it here (once the shock of cost of living wears off lol), but "reading" towns is tricky for a newbie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York