Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:15 AM

66 posts, read 119,513 times

Advertisements

Ive been looking at Saratoga, Warren, Herkimer and Oneida. Can someone please tell me what suits me best and what the pros and cons are of each county.

I am married to a soon retiring police officer so work isnt an issue for either of us. We have 5 kids ranging from infancy to teen so good schools and low crime are a must. We are Catholic, conservative and Italian. I can spend about 250000 on a house but want about an acre. But i need a larger house with at least 2000 sq feet. I do prefer houses that are 20 years old or less. I dont want to spend alot on fixing a place up. My husband isnt handy. I will have a horse that I will need to board and train with. I DONT want to be near alot of flooding because I just went through Sandy. Want nothing to do with water. Dont mind cold or snow. I dont have a crazy night life and dont need opera, arts, clubs,etc. I need big box stores, a mall, Catholic churches and barns lol! My husband would like a range. I find all these counties appealing so Im having a hard time nailing one or 2 down to visit. What do you locals think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:00 AM

93,201 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Oneida or Herkimer due to the high Italian American population, as well as finding all of the things you are looking being there. New hartford has plenty of big box stores and Sangertown Square Mall, there are plenty of Catholic churches, there are shooting ranges and there are good school districts. Here is some information to look into: Homes for sale in Utica, Rome and Central New York

Office of Pistol Permit Licensing | Oneida County, NY
Herkimer County CCW permit
Herkimer County: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]
Member Handbook
Trenton Fish & Game Club
https://plus.google.com/115551441555...ut?gl=us&hl=en
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Map of Shooting Ranges in New York: Sportsmen's/Conservation/Gun Clubs, Firing Ranges, Gun Stores and Training Centers Where You Can Shoot (Ilion, Richfield and Camden also have such clubs)

Sangertown Square
Welcome to New Hartford Shopping Center!
commercial drive new hartford ny - Google Maps

Italian Deli Utica, NY - Rosa's Italian Bakery & Deli
Napoli's Italian Bakery
https://plus.google.com/112621274303...ut?gl=us&hl=en
Taste of Italy Utica, NY - Little Italy Imports
Roma Sausage & Deli - Utica, NY - Italian Restaurant, Deli | Facebook
Markets - Slow Food Mohawk Valley

Rural parts of Frankfort aren't too far from the shopping in New Hartford and Utica. Rome also has Italian markets as well.

Home

East Utica festival offers fun, food

The Italian-American Festival In Utica Is Growing

Our Lady Queen of Apostles Parish at 412 Frankfort Street, Frankfort, New York 13340 (Herkimer County) United States

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

https://reportcards.nysed.gov/counties.php?year=2011

2012 Utica-Rome Area school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

2012 Upstate school district rankings - Buffalo - Business First

Last edited by Yac; 01-23-2013 at 06:12 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 10:27 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,469 times
The area your talking about in Herkimer and Oneida counties are called the Mohawk valley generally. The only real bad side of that area is lack of jobs. Which don't care about.

For that kinda money you'd literally have your pick of anything.

To pick one spot that has everything, mostly horses and a gun range, I'd say East Herkimer. Herkimer has Walmart and lowes and such and isn't far from Utica that has the rest.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
The area your talking about in Herkimer and Oneida counties are called the Mohawk valley generally. The only real bad side of that area is lack of jobs. Which don't care about.

For that kinda money you'd literally have your pick of anything.

To pick one spot that has everything, mostly horses and a gun range, I'd say East Herkimer. Herkimer has Walmart and lowes and such and isn't far from Utica that has the rest.

True.... I was also thinking of the Vernon-Verona-Sherrill area, which close to shopping in Oneida and Rome, with Canastota close by and its strong Italian American community. Village of Canastota, NY

It puts the OP closer to shopping in say Fayetteville/DeWitt and DESTINYUSA in Syracuse. DESTINYUSA is the 6th biggest mall in the country.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-15-2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 10:51 AM

What about Rome? They seem to have good demographics and are close to Utica. I saw crime levels were pretty good too.the best schools are in New Hartford , Whitesboro, Clinton and Westmoreland in that area according to the link you gave me. are these their own towns or a part of Rome or Utica. I noticed in the ranking Utica and Rome schools were at the bottom of the list

Last edited by Joysey77; 01-15-2013 at 11:05 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joysey77 View Post
What about Rome? They seem to have good demographics and are close to Utica. I saw crime levels were pretty good too
Rome has an outer district that is mostly rural, with some suburban areas closer to the more urban/dense inner district of the city. Some of the outer district is in the Westmoreland SD. Rome City SD has some diversity in comparison to other areas, as it is a city of 34,000. It has a "Little Italy" around Dominick Street and Rome Catholic is a K-12 school off of Route 26 in the city.

Those other districts are towns in between those two cities. They range from rural, small town to suburban, with all three in the Whitesboro SD.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-15-2013 at 11:17 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 AM

According to that link from Buffalo, Rome is the second worst school system in the area after Utica. So i would have to stick with New Hartford, Whitesboro and Westmoreland as towns to consider because their schools were rated so well. Which is the largest with the most shopping?

Old 01-15-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joysey77 View Post
According to that link from Buffalo, Rome is the second worst school system in the area after Utica. So i would have to stick with New Hartford, Whitesboro and Westmoreland as towns to consider because their schools were rated so well. Which is the largest with the most shopping?
New Hartford has the shopping you want, but it and Clinton are relatively more pretentious in comparison to Whitesboro. Whitesboro and New Hartford are rivals in terms of sports. Whitesboro is bigger, with only the two city districts being bigger. Much of the W'boro district is close to the shopping in NH. Don't count out Westmoreland, as it is more rural than the other towns and is still close to shopping and the cultural amenities you want. There is some shopping near the Deerfield part of the Whitesboro SD on Riverside Drive in North Utica(Riverside Center). Marcy is another town largely in the Whitesboro SD too.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-15-2013 at 11:55 AM..

Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 PM

Here's the Whitesboro SD website: Whitesboro - Home

Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM

Now is Whitesboro and Whitestown the same place? I think I read that somewhere. So Whitesboro is the 3rd largest town outside of Rome and Utica? But New Hartford has all the shopping? I looked up real estate for New Hartford, Whitesboro/town and Westmoreland and Sean is right, there is plenty of places to buy a home in that price range. Im happy to see they have good schools and low crime.Im afraid to live in a really small town because I dont want to be culture shocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York