Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times

Advertisements

The target area is best shown by where the natural gas companies are actually leasing land. While its not shown here to impact the area east of Syracuse, it is certainly within the Syracuse watershed. To those of you who think you are safe in Marcellus and rural towns west, think again:

http://www.r-cause.net/uploads/8/0/2...kinginside.jpg

These are actual land leased areas by natural gas companies. No one knows now if they will actually drill here, but I doubt they're buying land for its aesthetic value. I'd want to know for sure if I was going to move there that gas companies are buying land in Central NY like crazy. And BTW, it goes well beyond the Southern Tier, as I also stated before. Some land leasing is going as high as Lake Ontario.

That's your mantra, ckh, put the information out there and let the people decide for themselves. I'm doing what you always talk about. Hopefully, that's also true when its not positive, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 01:39 PM

93,353 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
The target area is best shown by where the natural gas companies are actually leasing land. While its not shown here to impact the area east of Syracuse, it is certainly within the Syracuse watershed. To those of you who think you are safe in Marcellus and rural towns west, think again:

http://www.r-cause.net/uploads/8/0/2...kinginside.jpg

These are actual land leased areas by natural gas companies. No one knows now if they will actually drill here, but I doubt they're buying land for its aesthetic value. I'd want to know for sure if I was going to move there that gas companies are buying land in Central NY like crazy. And BTW, it goes well beyond the Southern Tier, as I also stated before. Some land leasing is going as high as Lake Ontario.

That's your mantra, ckh, put the information out there and let the people decide for themselves. I'm doing what you always talk about. Hopefully, that's also true when its not positive, right?
Sure, Vintage, but then you have this: NYC, Syracuse watershed exemptions enter fracking fight | Innovation Trail

DEC outlines new fracking rules | Innovation Trail

Remember, the information you posted was leased between 2005 and 2010. So, there are watershed exemptions that have been added since then. It may be a matter of an outright ban though. Like you said, the impact will not be felt or will not be a concern for the OP, which is the focus here. Here is more on the topic: hydrofracking | Innovation Trail

Safety is the key with fracking. So, it isn't necessarily a negative, but right now, there is too much left unanswered.

Trust me, I've posted my share of posts with negative and positive information. So, lets not act like that doesn't happen. When or if you get to Raleigh, hopefully you will keep that in mind as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-22-2013 at 01:51 PM..

Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
The biggest reason to move to oneida or not would be the 10.6% unemployment rate and the weather.

The OP has the job thing under control.

The weather here sucks so being able to basically be a shut in nine month out of the year is something he can take or not.

Fracking?? Relevant to Oneida?? No I don't guess so.

I'm a profracker but won't feel any pros or cons here. I just want to be able to afford to heat my house without having to sell one on the kids every October.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:03 PM

Another possibility could be Westmoreland, which offers quick access to the Thruway and is a short drive into Clinton for work. Town Of Westmoreland: Homepage: [Digital Towpath]

Here are some homes in the Westmoreland SD: Property Search Results

Here are homes in the Town of Lenox/Villages of Canastota and Wampsville area: Property Search Results

Here are homes in the Vernon and Verona portions of the Vernon-Verona-Sherrill(aka Sherrill City) SD: Property Search Results

Here are some streetviews as well: clinton, ny - Google Maps

canastota, ny - Google Maps

oneida, ny - Google Maps

sherrill, ny - Google Maps

westmoreland, ny - Google Maps

vernon, ny - Google Maps

wampsville, ny - Google Maps

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-22-2013 at 02:17 PM..

Old 03-22-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Sure, Vintage, but then you have this: NYC, Syracuse watershed exemptions enter fracking fight | Innovation Trail

DEC outlines new fracking rules | Innovation Trail

Remember, the information you posted was leased between 2005 and 2010. So, there are watershed exemptions that have been added since then. It may be a matter of an outright ban though. Like you said, the impact will not be felt or will not be a concern for the OP, which is the focus here. Here is more on the topic: hydrofracking | Innovation Trail

Safety is the key with fracking. So, it isn't necessarily a negative, but right now, there is too much left unanswered.

Trust me, I've posted my share of posts with negative and positive information. So, lets not act like that doesn't happen. When or if you get to Raleigh, hopefully you will keep that in mind as well.
??
Easy there, ckh. I think you took my comments as snark, but I meant them serious. I'll be in Raleigh by week

My two points were that fracking will occur outside of the Southern Tier. I'm tempted to believe that if a gas company is leasing land, their planning on fracking it. I don't consider Cortland or Cayuga County to be Southern Tier, and its almost all red.

My second point was that no one knows what will be off limits. Yes, I too believe that it makes the utmost sense for Syracuse and NYC watersheds to be off limits for safety. DEC seems to want it that way, but gas companies have deep pockets and nothing has been finalized. They're buying tons of land around Skaneatles lake. I am a wee bit suspicious of that.

I also believe that the city of Oneida will be a non-issue. But I definitely think that Madison County, southern Oneida County and Onondaga County will be fair game for fracking. I just wanted the OP to be aware of that if they purchase rural or semi-rural, that's all.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM

No snarkiness, but I just find it interesting how people in essence bait people.

Again, the places that the OP would be looking into aren't or are most likely not on the radar. I dare say that the fracking issue was a moot and irrelevant point for the thread, as none of the communities suggested have been on the radar for that issue.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 PM

Its not moot and not irrelevant, maybe just not important to you, as the forum's most vociferous pro-NY voice on here. It was mentioned just in passing in my original post, as a potential concern. Not to change your life plans, but something to be aware of. I stand by that.

I didn't bait you, not sure where that came from, but you're certainly allowed to feel that way if you wish.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Its not moot and not irrelevant, maybe just not important to you, as the forum's most vociferous pro-NY voice on here. It was mentioned just in passing in my original post, as a potential concern. Not to change your life plans, but something to be aware of. I stand by that.

I didn't bait you, not sure where that came from, but you're certainly allowed to feel that way if you wish.
I've never stated that I was pro NY. My points are more about perspective. As of now, there is no reason for mentioning hydro fracking in regards to the communities suggested to the OP at this time. Unless you can show information otherwise, it doesn't make sense. Perhaps it is a matter of the type of information and given that Clinton and the communities mentioned aren't even in the counties in your map, I would think it would be irrelevant to the information the OP needs.

I think the odd, supposedly vested interest in the area due to the see through posting style just may raise eyebrows on here. That's all. Hopefully, you are able to get more on the Raleigh area forum, as you take that leap of faith, which I truly hope works out for you.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I've never stated that I was pro NY. My points are more about perspective. As of now, there is no reason for mentioning hydro fracking in regards to the communities suggested to the OP at this time. Unless you can show information otherwise, it doesn't make sense. Perhaps it is a matter of the type of information and given that Clinton and the communities mentioned aren't even in the counties in your map, I would think it would be irrelevant to the information the OP needs.

I think the odd, supposedly vested interest in the area due to the see through posting style just may raise eyebrows on here. That's all. Hopefully, you are able to get more on the Raleigh area forum, as you take that leap of faith, which I truly hope works out for you.
ckh, I think you realize that your post comes off very condescending. You're telling me that there's no reason to mention something that I believe is very pertinent to someone moving to NY. Its also my field of expertise. That's my choice to mention it (which I only mentioned in one simple line). Funny how the OP is thinking of moving somewhere near Utica and you find it not to make sense to mention something called Utica Shale.

I already showed you that natural gas drilling goes way beyond the Southern Tier, which was your inaccurate statement to the OP. In fact, 30% of the land in the Finger Lakes region has been purchased by natural gas companies. Of course, this isn't information that anyone moving Upstate should be aware of. Some people live beyond their homes and workplace and might want to know this information.

You can think whatever you want about my "odd, supposedly vested interest in the area". Despite what you may think, you are not the leader of this forum and I find these words only serve to show your one-sidedness. I've defended NYS in the ways that I find to be truthful. When people come on here and bash the area for no reason, I stand up for it. When people speak the truth, I agree with them, even if it goes against your spin doctoring of the area.

Upstate is and will remain my second choice of a place to live, that's why I post here (my supposedly vested interest). If Raleigh doesn't work out, I'll be coming Upstate. Newsflash: its possible to like more than one place and liking one doesn't mean you have to dislike the other. I'll post on the Raleigh forum in the amount and frequency that I see fit. I have very few questions about Raleigh because its an active board and I use the search function.

It is possible to both like an area and truthfully criticize the bad aspects. Something I think you need to learn, because lots of people can see through the spin doctoring.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:54 PM

Actually, drilling and land leases aren't necessarily the same thing. All that map shows are land leases, not drilling.

I didn't say that I was the leader of anything, you said that. I'm not being condesending, but some of the information in the posts come out of nowhere.

Also, there is no spin doctoring. If anything, some may say I use sources too much, instead of posting my own, emotional thoughts. I do that to take the emotion out of it though and how dare I use sources to offer information.

Again, you mentioned that you were moving to Raleigh and I didn't say that you couldn't like other areas, you said that as well. I would think that job opportunities will win out no matter which area you decide to go with.

Mentioning hydro fracking doesn't have anything to do with what the OP was looking for and if it occurs, it would occur in places away from where he would need to be. So, I stand by the lack of relevance that information means to where the OP is looking. Clinton is in Oneida County and some of the suggestions were also in Madison County. Neither of those counties were even on the map you posted.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-23-2013 at 03:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York