Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 01:15 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times

Advertisements

Almost all college towns and many college kids don't have cars! Kinda shows how easy it is to skew statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 01:59 PM

93,296 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Almost all college towns and many college kids don't have cars! Kinda shows how easy it is to skew statistics.
Those are people walking to work. With many college towns/areas, many faculty/staff members live in the surrounding area in close proximity to the college/university.

Also, if what you said is the case, there should be plenty of Southern cities on that list. This and anything else isn't a knock on the cities there, but this is just to illustrate the differences in terms of urban planning.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:52 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
the census data on commute times by county, and most cities.
I have never been asked on a census form about my commute time. So how is this data supposedly collected?

How many people participate?

Stats can suggest something, but just throwing stats around proves little, if anything.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
EXACTLY.

Syracuse has Syracuse University, SUNY Upstate Medical, SUNY College of Forestry, and some small colleges. Yes, many college kids don't have cars which would totally skewer the figures. Many of the college kids also work, and as students would want to WALK to CLASS and WORK.

The residents in Syracuse who live there and work full time have CARS. Syracuse is like Ithaca, everyone drives unless they are a student, or are really POOR. I even knew people in the region on SSI who bought USED cars.

People drive.

Its BULL**** to claim Syracuse is the best spot for commuters.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
EXACTLY.

Syracuse has Syracuse University, SUNY Upstate Medical, SUNY College of Forestry, and some small colleges. Yes, many college kids don't have cars which would totally skewer the figures. Many of the college kids also work, and as students would want to WALK to CLASS and WORK.

The residents in Syracuse who live there and work full time have CARS. Syracuse is like Ithaca, everyone drives unless they are a student, or are really POOR. I even knew people in the region on SSI who bought USED cars.

People drive.

Its BULL**** to claim Syracuse is the best spot for commuters.
Not necessarily true, as many professors and deans walk to campus, as they live close by. Same with other college towns. Some may actually take public transportation, because if you notice, the percentage was higher versus Southern areas. Even if they drive, the commutes are shorter due to the built environment. Look at the article again and you'll notice that Southern college towns or places with such areas don't have as high of a percentage.

Lastly, no one said that Syracuse is the best place for commuters. I will say though, as a resident of the area and that takes surface streets to get to work from a first ring suburb in about 15 minutes, I think that says something in terms of a short commute.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-15-2014 at 05:41 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
I have never been asked on a census form about my commute time. So how is this data supposedly collected?

How many people participate?

Stats can suggest something, but just throwing stats around proves little, if anything.
Just like this Florida article, as it doesn't show who is moving there by age and that can have an effect on the economic situation there, as well as things such as school funding for an example. Retirees without children could care less about the schools, but they add to the population.

Here's some more info: Census data: Retirees flocking to Florida again - Tampa Bay Business Journal

Florida poised to overtake New York in population - Tampa Bay Business Journal

To say that retirees aren't fueling this doesn't make sense.

People also forget about the people that move to suburbs out of state in NJ, CT or out to PA. So, people could still be in the NYC metro, but live out of NY State.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not necessarily true, as many professors and deans walk to campus, as they live close by. Same with other college towns. Some may actually take public transportation, because if you notice, the percentage was higher versus Southern areas. Even if they drive, the commutes are shorter due to the built environment. Look at the article again and you'll notice that Southern college towns or places with such areas don't have as high of a percentage.

Lastly, no one said that Syracuse is the best place for commuters. I will say though, as a resident of the area and that takes surface streets to get to work from a first ring suburb in about 15 minutes, I think that says something in terms of a short commute.
The professors and deans I knew in the finger lakes region DROVE to WORK.

Not walked. STUDENTS lived CLOSE to campus. Generally not so much professors and deans. They're often (not always) married people with kids and aren't too interested in living next to college students. Plus the demands of family life often means they are interest in things like space, driving their cars (they have kids, have to do shopping for the whole family,etc.).

You're making stuff up, dude, in a desperate attempt to make upstate NY something that it isn't. Pathetic.

It won't change demographics and it won't get people moving upstate. Why not face reality?

There's no point in lying or inventing things, and its just sad that you feel the need to do so. Over something so meaningless.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Just like this Florida article, as it doesn't show who is moving there by age and that can have an effect on the economic situation there, as well as things such as school funding for an example. Retirees without children could care less about the schools, but they add to the population.

Here's some more info: Census data: Retirees flocking to Florida again - Tampa Bay Business Journal

Florida poised to overtake New York in population - Tampa Bay Business Journal

To say that retirees aren't fueling this doesn't make sense.

People also forget about the people that move to suburbs out of state in NJ, CT or out to PA. So, people could still be in the NYC metro, but live out of NY State.
There's also substantial evidence on the ground and statistically that it is not retirees alone. A lot of immigrants move to Florida. Upstate NY is neither a major destination for immigrants or retirees.

Not that Florida getting retirees is necessarily bad to begin with. They add money to Florida's economy, while much of upstate NY continues to lose money.

The bottom line is that NY due to upstate is about to lose federal funding and representatives (in 2020) due to population shifts.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
The professors and deans I knew in the finger lakes region DROVE to WORK.

Not walked. STUDENTS lived CLOSE to campus. Generally not so much professors and deans. They're often (not always) married people with kids and aren't too interested in living next to college students. Plus the demands of family life often means they are interest in things like space, driving their cars (they have kids, have to do shopping for the whole family,etc.).

You're making stuff up, dude, in a desperate attempt to make upstate NY something that it isn't. Pathetic.

It won't change demographics and it won't get people moving upstate. Why not face reality?

There's no point in lying or inventing things, and its just sad that you feel the need to do so. Over something so meaningless.
I work at one of the universities here and the information is what it is. How and why would I lie about something that I didn't make up? What professors/staff do at one place may be different in different places. Did you even read or look at the article? If it is simply about colleges/universities, then you would see similar numbers in similar communities in other regions.

Also, I never said that retirees alone is why FL is growing, but according to the articles posted, they make up a good percentage of new residents.

Lastly, NY isn't losing population, but isn't growing as fast. There is a difference. Do you have information behind any of these claims, by the way?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-15-2014 at 10:05 AM..

Old 01-15-2014, 12:23 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,823,927 times
Quote:
I work at one of the universities here and the information is what it is. How and why would I lie about something that I didn't make up? What professors/staff do at one place may be different in different places. Did you even read or look at the article? If it is simply about colleges/universities, then you would see similar numbers in similar communities in other regions.

Also, I never said that retirees alone is why FL is growing, but according to the articles posted, they make up a good percentage of new residents.

Lastly, NY isn't losing population, but isn't growing as fast. There is a difference. Do you have information behind any of these claims, by the way?
It is factually honest that NY gained population in the last 10 years.

Erie County gained 46 people in 3 years. Wake County, NC gained 75 people a day. So, factually, you can state that Upstate NY is gaining population.

I don't know how else to sum this up, but there's the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York