Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 18,189 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

Looks like it may be official - we are going to be moving to Orange County within the next month or so. Was curious what people feel is a better pick for a young family with three kids (2,4 and 7). Warwick or Goshen? We are looking for great schools, good sporting activities and a quaint town feel. It would also be great to be within close proximity to major retail stores.
Looking for all opinions!

Thanks!
cherrygirl13
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 05:17 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,857,672 times
i really do not know a lot about goshen but Warwick should have what you want. driving up to Monroe/Woodbury for shopping is not "too" close but not too far, maybe 25-30 minutes? everything you NEED should be in town... though.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:44 AM

3 posts, read 18,189 times
Thanks!
Are there any specific areas of Warwick we should stay away from? Would you happen to know the best elementary school in town?

Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 AM

Hi - we are only looking, don't have any concrete info. If you drive through town you get a good feel for areas. It depends what you want... a house on acreage, a neighborhood, etc.

I think all of the elementary schools are fine. I read that Pine scored best, whatever that might mean.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:40 AM

40 posts, read 143,907 times
Default Warwick v Goshen

Warwick for sure! Great town, very friendly. Sanfordville Elementary has the best reputation but you will not go wrong with any of them. There are no "bad" areas in Warwick that I know of. It takes at least 20min to get to major roads. This is a blessing and curse at the same time. If you have to commute to NYC. Goshen may be better. Good Luck

Old 07-23-2010, 06:59 AM

8 posts, read 24,759 times
Actually both are great choices. They both have excellent school districts and are nice, quaint, safe towns.

That said, Warwick is much more off the beaten path, whereas Goshen is less than 5 minutes from Route 17, is the next town over from Middletown (which can take care of pretty much all of your "major retail store" needs), and is maybe 15 minutes from Woodbury Commons. Warwick is a very nice place to live, but it will take you about 30 minutes to get to Middletown or Monroe, and the nearest train station (Tuxedo) requires driving over two large mountains with fairly twisty roads that can be quite hazardous in the winter, if that is of any concern for you.

There aren't really too many bad areas in Warwick/Goshen, I work in Goshen, and am currently also looking to buy a place in the general area. But I've been told by more than one person to stay away from King's Estates in Warwick. Mind you, that is purely unverified 3rd person information, but it has been a very succinct warning given to me by friends/co-workers from the area.

Hope this helps!

Old 07-19-2011, 03:00 PM

2 posts, read 13,926 times
Hi there,
My partner and I are looking to buy a single family home up in Warwick or Goshen, want an area with low taxes and a nice size yard 3 bedroom. Which is more gay friendly?

Old 07-19-2011, 03:32 PM

715 posts, read 2,508,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edstud View Post
Hi there,
My partner and I are looking to buy a single family home up in Warwick or Goshen, want an area with low taxes and a nice size yard 3 bedroom. Which is more gay friendly?
I figure you can't go wrong with either. Taxes will be on the high side, though, no matter where you go. As for gay friendliness, I don't think you will have a problem in either location. Goshen has easier access to major retail stores, though, and the ride to NYC is also easier.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:51 PM

Where are you working edstud?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 13,926 times
I am working in Midtown NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York