Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:22 PM

93,584 posts, read 124,293,378 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this has been asked before, but I was curious as to what are some neighborhoods or communities that you would consider to be truly walkable? When I ask this, I mean to the point where you wouldn't necessarily have to leave this particular area for much of anything, if at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 04:55 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,873,700 times
Rhinebeck & Red Hook - hospital, Stop & Shop, restaurants, Starbucks, moviehouse, bank, private school, train station, bus. It has most things one needs to go about daily business.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Rhinebeck & Red Hook - hospital, Stop & Shop, restaurants, Starbucks, moviehouse, bank, private school, train station, bus. It has most things one needs to go about daily business.
What about clothing?

Old 09-23-2015, 04:42 PM

1,930 posts, read 2,044,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about clothing?
Rhinebeck village has clothing stores, although you'll pay for the privilege. Long walk to the train, though.

Ithaca is definitely walkable. Some neighborhoods in greater Rochester. Saranac Lake (although the downtown grocery isn't much).

Old 09-23-2015, 10:08 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,553,372 times
Watkins Glen.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:17 AM

355 posts, read 869,860 times
East Aurora and parts of the Tonawandas near where the canal meets the river.

Old 09-24-2015, 11:36 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,499,409 times
Binghamton maybe?

Old 09-24-2015, 02:07 PM

I guess one that just came to mind is Oswego, as it has restaurants, a hospital, grocery stores, a bookstore, a movie theater, clothing stores, parks and public transportation.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:55 PM

11 posts, read 19,763 times
I'm interested in this...

We're in NYC, and considering moving Upstate - but don't want to have to buy a car.

I've looked at things like Walkscore, which is some help - but they seem to think I'm more interested in having a local coffee shop than a local supermarket. There seems to be a fundamental assumption that of *course* I drive to work, the supermarket, and the mall... they think I just want to be able to stroll to coffee shops, bookstores and boutiques (oh, and sure, pick up milk and bread, but not staples...)

I'm perfectly willing to take transit (I expect transit...) to some things - especially places I don't go routinely (shopping mall or district, theatre and museum, even that hospital, as long as the transit is reasonable) - but I do expect to be able to buy food locally. (We both work from home, so a commute is not an issue.)

I've basically been looking at reasonably large cities, since some smaller places seem to have some services, even a wonderfully walkable neighborhood - but no way to get to that theatre - or hospital - and get home easily (especially at night...) and that won't work.

But I'm interested in seeing what people have to suggest.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityanne View Post
I'm interested in this...

We're in NYC, and considering moving Upstate - but don't want to have to buy a car.

I've looked at things like Walkscore, which is some help - but they seem to think I'm more interested in having a local coffee shop than a local supermarket. There seems to be a fundamental assumption that of *course* I drive to work, the supermarket, and the mall... they think I just want to be able to stroll to coffee shops, bookstores and boutiques (oh, and sure, pick up milk and bread, but not staples...)

I'm perfectly willing to take transit (I expect transit...) to some things - especially places I don't go routinely (shopping mall or district, theatre and museum, even that hospital, as long as the transit is reasonable) - but I do expect to be able to buy food locally. (We both work from home, so a commute is not an issue.)

I've basically been looking at reasonably large cities, since some smaller places seem to have some services, even a wonderfully walkable neighborhood - but no way to get to that theatre - or hospital - and get home easily (especially at night...) and that won't work.

But I'm interested in seeing what people have to suggest.
Do you have a limit is terms of city/town size? Just to use Oswego as an example, what could appeal to some is that it has a SUNY campus on the western edge of the city, into the town of Oswego, that offers some events. Its Downtown has a bookstore, a farmers market, a movie theater, a grocery store(Big M), a hospital and even some apartments nearby. CENTRO of Oswego actually runs until 11 PM or so and there is some shopping in the eastern end of town. Size(only has about 18-19,000 people), winter weather and location may be an issue, though it is only 40-45 minutes from Syracuse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York