Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 04:16 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,922,491 times

Advertisements

Well hello,

I thought I would start a post for just general life, living, and thoughts about living in the Western Catskill Mountains. It is not always easy but very rewarding and with all the things people see as inconveniences are actually something we are losing in our quality of life.

Having traversed the City Data forums, I see our place as one of the most unique, beautiful and sustainable places in the USA.

Hey we have Levon Helm Levon Helm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia of the Band still here and a lot of talented people making it work despite the Government.

So discuss...

Thanks From the

BovinaCow

Still looking to produce affordable milk in Bovina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 10:34 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Bovina, how far do you live from Narrowsburg or Callicoon? I did brief photo tours of both of those small towns, and I've been getting the itch to head further north and east into the Catskills to take some more photos of some other cozy small towns like those. Any opinions on whether a photo tour would be viable in Barryville? Port Jervis? Hancock? Thanks very much!

Old 03-06-2008, 08:29 AM

136 posts, read 778,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Bovina, how far do you live from Narrowsburg or Callicoon? Any opinions on whether a photo tour would be viable in Barryville? Port Jervis? Hancock? Thanks very much!
If you're looking for the "real Catskills", I'd suggest towns such as:

- Arkville
- Andes
- Ashland
- Big Indian
- Bovina (Center)
- Denver
- Fleischmanns
- Frost Valley
- Grand Gorge
- Haines Falls
- Halcott Center
- Halcottsville
- Hardenburgh
- Highmount
- Hunter
- Jefferson
- Jewett
_ Lexington
- Margaretville
- New Kingston
- Oliverea
- Pheonicia
- Prattsville
- Pine Hill
- Roxbury
- Seager
- Shandaken
- Stamford
- Summit
- Tannersville
- Turnwood
- West Kill
- Windham

Old 03-06-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Bovina, how far do you live from Narrowsburg or Callicoon? I did brief photo tours of both of those small towns, and I've been getting the itch to head further north and east into the Catskills to take some more photos of some other cozy small towns like those. Any opinions on whether a photo tour would be viable in Barryville? Port Jervis? Hancock? Thanks very much!
I am not to familiar with those towns. Callicoon a bit. Bovina is cozy all right if you blink or change a radio station you would miss it. It still consists of almost all the original buildings from the 19th century.

Although the school house is now the library and the post office is a 60 sq ft part of the community hall. The same general store has been there since 1823 and still pretty much looks that way lol. They still sell penny candy and have a good overall variety of things. It was quite a bustling dairy industry at one time. The white house for 80 years would only buy butter from Bovina producers. Now there are about 6 dairy farms with one up for sale recently. We don't need a local paper because with 650 people word gets around pretty fast.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:23 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,996 times
SWB, if you come up here for photos, the photos would be of the mountains, the East Branch of the delaware river, the farms, the old farm buildings. As cow said, our town is great in my opinion, but compared to other photos tours our's would be short Russells general store, the library, the historical society, the UP Church, and a few old, once-storefront, buildings. After that we are all nature and more nature, with eagles, hawks, deer, turkey, coyote, COWS, bunnies and all the rest of the creatures that call Bovina home. With 42 square miles being the home of 800+ full and PT-residents, we are very spread out and you would be wandering down dirt roads to find the gems we have here. Just the way we LIKE it!

Now, Andes, Margaretville, Roxbury and Stamford have downtowns, similiar to your our photos tours.

So, here is a mixed bag, but a great place to be when the snow has freshly fallen, the spring buds are bursting, the summer is in full swing, and of course the blaze of fall. We have A LOT of tress so it is something to see.

If you are coming up, post and let us know and I am sure one of us can give you specific "must sees". We are about an hour north of Callicoon! I say stay the night in one of the many B&Bs-not a day trip for you.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:26 PM

I agree cow, no where else but Bovina for me! But shush, don't tell everyone the secret! Joking. It is a snowmobiler's paradise, a nature lover's paradise, a small town and laid back lover's paradise. Well, it is paradise to most of us.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
But shush, don't tell everyone the secret!
I think to some extent it's out. Just the city people need to stop buying Hummers and Jeeps, I get tried of pulling them out of some embankment. I'd shush about the sledin.... shush on you!

Old 03-06-2008, 06:49 PM

136 posts, read 778,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Now, Andes, Margaretville, Roxbury and Stamford have downtowns, similiar to your our photos tours.

If you did a Catskills Photo tour, you'd probably have just a few photos from each of the towns. For example:

Big Indian -- waterworks, general store, resort?
Roxbury -- school, church, milk plant, ski area
Fleischmanns -- cement "plant", old buildings, c[l]ovesville church
Halcottsville -- dam, log home factory, Round Barn
Stamford -- Old hotel (or two)
Highmount -- ski area
Andes -- hotel, old buildings, buildings
Phioenicia -- nearby resort
Arkville -- train station, frozen (weather permitting) fountain
Downsville -- dam
Hunter -- ski area
Ashland -- painted school bus
New Kingston - ??
Everywhere -- old houses here and there, fancy summer homes
etc.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:06 PM

406 posts, read 1,360,588 times
Hey guys, thanks for this thread, I was looking for some info on this area. My wife and I are considering moving from Montana to Stamford, where we want to re-hab the old Westholm Hotel. It will probably need to be gutted, but I am glad that someone is talking about these towns here!

Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
Hey guys, thanks for this thread, I was looking for some info on this area. My wife and I are considering moving from Montana to Stamford, where we want to re-hab the old Westholm Hotel. It will probably need to be gutted, but I am glad that someone is talking about these towns here!
Oh Man, now do not tease. Are you really thinking of it. Can you believe the BARGAIN that it is priced at. Yes a total and complete rehab would be necessary, but the jewels inside that building are simply breathtaking! The woodwork, the murals, the hardware. OH MY. It would be such a damned shame if it does not get picked up and continues to rot. What potential.

I do hope you are in the construction business, or know a lot about it and have some funds, lots of funds. It probably needs all new wiring, plumbing, roof, exterior. But so much can be salvaged!

What would you do with the place? That was my question to myself. So much potential, but what. Bar, restaurant, apartments upstairs? Bar, restaurant, commercial space? That is the biggest problem. Stamford is a good town, but will not support a hotel, or gallery space, or much of anything that is "in the box." YOur thinking has to be "out of the box" on this beautiful piece of history.

Tell me more, tell me more. I am more than happy to give you a neighbor's perspective on the area. What the town has, what it could support, activities and features of the area, etc.

Good luck! and please don't let the old girl go the ways of progress!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York