Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 01:58 PM

93,393 posts, read 124,052,832 times

Advertisements

I was listening to sports radio, where there was a guy mentioning that due to the NBA history in this portion of the state, that there could be a franchise that all of Upstate NY could support. If this were to be possible, what would be a good location for this franchise?

It is interesting that the general region has had 3 NBA teams in the past and is where the 24 second shot clock was conceived. So, could something like this actually work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 03:33 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,228,371 times
No. There are larger markets without teams. You works also be hard pressed to tie the 3 major cities.

You'd need buffalo in there, but the team couldn't be there. The league would want to protect the edges of Toronto and Cleveland.

Rochester would almost have to be the location, but you couldn't depend on much support for weekday games from Syracuse or Buffalo.

The TV markets aren't that good, the corporate potential isn't that great. The area lacks a lot of what the NBA needs to work.

There is a lot of great hoops history in the area, but a lot of it is covered in dust and a lot has changed.

While I always got a kick out of seeing the nba championship banner in the War, never would consider another team calling it home

Old 02-08-2018, 08:50 AM

5,708 posts, read 4,100,679 times
I have been advocating for years, that the three major upstate cities forge closer ties. With a population of about 3 million, we could attract all of the big city amenities. The quickest way for these cities to feel local to each other would be to remove the thruway tolls. Going south down 390 would bring another million into the picture within about 2 hours. Yes, absolutely it could be done if we had the will. Unfortunately Rochester lacks both the leadership, or the vision to pull it off. Fortunately the business community keeps us going.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:59 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Why would it have to be only 1 location I remember when Green Bay used to play between Green Bay and Milwaukee, the team could rotate their home game locations.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:39 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,288,061 times
I dont see this working. Syracuse to Buffalo is 150 miles. The 3 million people are simply spread too widely to realistically draw from all three for weeknight games in the winter.

Plus you have competition from the Sabers, SU basketball and the AHL. In theory, you could have a team that rotates. But the team would be in the road constantly. Plus, syr and rochester dont have nba caliber arenas ready.

Plus, as has been pointed out, corporate lux boxes are huge drivers and the region dosent have many fortune 500.

NFL works because there are only 8 home games that occurr on weekends in the fall. Lot different than 41 games in the winter. NHL is more of a legacy regional sport. Much easier to keep a team than bring one in.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Why would it have to be only 1 location I remember when Green Bay used to play between Green Bay and Milwaukee, the team could rotate their home game locations.
Good point and thought about this being a possibility. I couldn’t rep you though.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
I dont see this working. Syracuse to Buffalo is 150 miles. The 3 million people are simply spread too widely to realistically draw from all three for weeknight games in the winter.

Plus you have competition from the Sabers, SU basketball and the AHL. In theory, you could have a team that rotates. But the team would be in the road constantly.

Plus, as has been pointed out, corporate lux boxes are huge drivers and the region dosent have many fortune 500.

NFL works because there are only 8 home games that occurr on weekends in the fall. Lot different than 41 games in the winter. NHL is more of a legacy regional sport. Much easier to keep a team than bring one in.
Good points. Perhaps you may get say Kodak and Corning Incorporated involved. In that sense, being based in the Rochester area would make sense.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:59 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,288,061 times
Yeah..I would say Rochester makes the most sense. No NHL or SU to compete with. It could draw some fans from Syr, Buff on an occasional basis. It also at least historically has had the strongest business community.

The downsides are 1) an arena would have to be built
2) Rochesters economic and growth prospects are probably less enticing than bigger faster growing cities like Sea, San Diego. Heck even Cinncy, KC, Hartford, Baltimore or Norfolk would probably be more profitable markets. At the end of the day, NBA is a business focused on maximizing profits for the owners.

As exciting as it would be to see Roch get a team, I wouldn't expect it to be a realistic possibility in the near future.

Perhaps Rochester landing an MLS team is the most likely prospect for pro sports.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:23 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,099,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good point and thought about this being a possibility. I couldn’t rep you though.
Well thank you but when you look at the communities they do not play well to support something like this. From a community sizes they really don't have the numbers to ensure adequate attendance, remember these teams must make a profit that is #1.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:11 PM

5,708 posts, read 4,100,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good points. Perhaps you may get say Kodak and Corning Incorporated involved. In that sense, being based in the Rochester area would make sense.

Constellation Brands is a Fortune 500 company and Paychex is close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York