Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 09:33 PM

384 posts, read 272,427 times

Advertisements

Currently, the exits on our interstates are numbered in numeric order with the lowest numbers being east and south and the highest being north and west. This numbering goes against the system used in other states where the exit numbers correspond to mile markers on a given interstate with the westernmost and southernmost exits being the lowest. For instance, the current Exit #41 on I-90 for Seneca Falls/Clyde would become Exit #175, and Exit #36 for Interstate 81 would change to Exit #212. One argument against this renumbering is that there are a high concentration of interchanges on Interstate 87 north of New York City. This issue could be resolved by numbering such exits within a given mile 15A, 15B, 15C and so on like the exits are on Interstate 70 near St. Louis. Another reason for this renumbering is the abundance of Exit #As in relatively rural stretches of interstate (as these exits were likely added after the interstates were completed) One example is Exit 48A to Alleghany Rd., which if I had to guess was added due to the growth of Darien Lake as a theme park and performing arts center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 05:29 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
The Thruway is mileposted from NYC so in the opposite sense as usual highways for about 2/3 of its length.

I-99 in NYS has mile numbered exits so NYSDOT is dipping a toe into those waters.

(I-99 in NY is in the Steuben County towns of Lindley and Erwin. Although most NY State residents have likely never heard of even that county, I'm tapping on a product developed in the Town of Erwin right now, and odds are so are you.)

Old 02-07-2018, 01:47 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by droc31 View Post
Currently, the exits on our interstates are numbered in numeric order with the lowest numbers being east and south and the highest being north and west. This numbering goes against the system used in other states where the exit numbers correspond to mile markers on a given interstate with the westernmost and southernmost exits being the lowest. For instance, the current Exit #41 on I-90 for Seneca Falls/Clyde would become Exit #175, and Exit #36 for Interstate 81 would change to Exit #212. One argument against this renumbering is that there are a high concentration of interchanges on Interstate 87 north of New York City. This issue could be resolved by numbering such exits within a given mile 15A, 15B, 15C and so on like the exits are on Interstate 70 near St. Louis. Another reason for this renumbering is the abundance of Exit #As in relatively rural stretches of interstate (as these exits were likely added after the interstates were completed) One example is Exit 48A to Alleghany Rd., which if I had to guess was added due to the growth of Darien Lake as a theme park and performing arts center.
How would that work for the Northway, and I-90 east/west of Exit 24, where the Thruway changeover occurs between I-87 and I-90? The mileage starts from 0 when you get on the Northway (I-87) going north from Exit 24.

It's fine the way it is.

Old 02-07-2018, 10:31 PM

384 posts, read 272,427 times
I think it's time to retire the thruway system entirely because logistically, it makes no sense. Many people I know who live in Western and Central New York don't even use the Thruway to travel to New York City, instead going south on 390 or 81 into Pennsylvania and cutting east on 380/80 through Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Assigning mileages between two independent interstates is not only confusing but also misleading to out-of-state travelers who think it's 496 miles from Ripley to Canaan (where I-90 enters Massachusetts). I've always laughed at the mileage sign about 2 miles past the toll booths on I-90 East where it reads: New York City 494. In reality, that distance is about 60-70 miles shorter by way of Route 17, I-81, I-380, and I-80. As far as Interstate 87, Exit #1 should be the first after I-87's southern terminus in Bronx and continue northward by milepost to the current Exit #43, which would be reassigned as Exit #333 for Champlain. No more Northway/Thruway split or having to pay tolls to drive south on I-87 from Albany to say, Catskill or Kingston. There are enough tolls from the Tappan Zee Bridge southward. I-90 from the 87 split westward could remain tolled as the renamed New York Turnpike with toll barriers at various points between widely spaced exits. (This way someone won't have to pay an extra $1.50 or $2.00 to go a half-mile further to their exit in a suburban or urban section of I-90.)

Old 02-08-2018, 07:33 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
I'm sure the Thruway Authority would rather re-milepost according to Interstate numbering than give up their roads and tollbooths, one doesn't necessarily follow from the other (there are part-tolled part-not numbered Interstates in PA, IL, IN, OH, etc.).

Possibly there had been enough thoughts about kilometric numbering to delay action at critical decision points, at least in the past. One might wonder what it says about USA that public metrication seems less likely to happen now vs. 40 years ago.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:01 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I'm sure the Thruway Authority would rather re-milepost according to Interstate numbering than give up their roads and tollbooths, one doesn't necessarily follow from the other (there are part-tolled part-not numbered Interstates in PA, IL, IN, OH, etc.).

Possibly there had been enough thoughts about kilometric numbering to delay action at critical decision points, at least in the past. One might wonder what it says about USA that public metrication seems less likely to happen now vs. 40 years ago.
Seems time to get off the "lets convert to metric" bandwagon, they tried that in the 70's and it never took hold. What does it matter if I drive at 55mph or 80kph let those who visit here adjust to our way just as we have to drive on the left side if we visit them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York